4-23-18 - Donut and a New Week

Last year, Spawn 2 cut his hand at the base of his thumb. We were going to go the super glue and bandaid treatment, however, we couldn't get it to stop bleeding. So off to the emergency room we went where they too had a devil of a time getting the bleeding to stop. So stitches it was. And it continued to ooze for some time.

But since both he and I are trained in advanced 1st aid, no panics, correct bandaging and such.

Shan - I'm sure that things will work out well. Provided he follows the basic instructions. :)

Finally able to come back and post. I'm on the late shift today (working til 6:30 CST), and everyone else flies the coop at 4:30 on the nose, except 1 gal who's sat next to me for 3 years. So I know she's not the spy. :rolleyes:

My tiles in the kitchen are mostly done, but apparently we miscalculated how many we would need and were about 5 short. Thankfully I was able to order 6 more (same price as 5), as I bought the originals over a year ago. I'll post pictures when it's all done, as it looks funny right now with the old peach tiles still peeking out in a couple spots.

JS- cute story about running from the nurse.

Shan - Steristrips work fabulously. That's what they used to close the outer part of my c-section incision.

Noel - glad you are enjoying your new laptop

OC - I'm worried about KT too. Those tornadoes looked bad

A.Guy - I have a feeling the company would frown upon me adding privacy screens to my computer, but I appreciate the thought.

RS - I hope all your meetings went well today.

The bank has them on all their computers. You can sit right across the desk, and they are looking at YOUR account, and you cannot see a thing.

Hey, it reached 62 today. Unreal, and not complaining.

Wish I knew where the day went today, I did a bunch of different things, besides laundry, some catch up bookwork, a few phone calls......sure does eat up the time, but I am tired. Man next door was cleaning out his garage, Am thinking more likely sweeping and hosing it down to get rid of the salt, sand, maybe mud, etc. That is coming for me, but not yet. I do not trust Mother Nature......LOL

A cloudy day, but it got warm enough to work outside late this afternoon. Morning cleaning
took longer because I kept stopping to make videos of the babies. I'm not sure if I'll post
any until I see how they look. I heard a lot of birds in my backyard and saw several
goldfinches. I'm not sure how many. I may post that video, but you hardly see the birds
with all the dandelions in the yard.

I hope kt is ok. I didn't know there was bad weather yesterday.

Noel, I'm glad you like your new laptop.

shan, I hope your husband feels better soon.

JS, you're brave fixing your finger like that.

robin, sorry to hear about friend.

I hope everyone enjoys their evening.

Regarding "cost effective," is hypnosis in lieu of anesthesia in our future? :rolleyes: .:)

After a treatment delay, do cuts need to be "freshened" before sutures, strips, etc.?

In one of my work environments, I used the "liquid skin" available at bowling alleys to seal small cuts.

Long wait times discourage folks from seeking medical care. I sometimes wonder if that's deliberate.

AGuy: ER's or Trauma Units were never designed for small accidents, flu, etc. Urgent Care, and more are being purchased across the country, are the place for those type of issues. It is faster, cheaper by far, and keeps ERs free for major accidents, injuries, and physical issues [heart attacks, stroke, etc]. The long times are not designed to frustrate patients. They are, however, a result of more bureaucratic and regulatory paperwork. There are staff limits, equipment use regulations, processing forms in triplicate, etc.

The hospital here opened Urgent Care last year. At first the hrs. were very short. Daily 5 p.m.-10 p.m. & Sat./Sun. 10a.m. to 4 p.m. The idea was for when the doctors' office were closed, and not huge emergency. However, they have expanded the hours now. I just learned that when you enter the area (which is same desk as visiting a patient in hosp. ) they send you to triage, I guess, where it is determined whether you are urgent care or ER. Very odd. Same entrance. (Ambulance entrance is elsewhere I believe. )

Noel, I agree with you about the hospitals being essentially blameless regarding wait times. Was just musing that it's conceivable that some payers might want us to stay home. "Paranoia sets in!" :)

Poirot, those ER/Urgent Care combos are a great idea. Saves a lot of money when someone goes to the hospital for a flu shot. :rolleyes: In the Big City, folks sometimes call 911 for an ambulance ride to the hospital, while having a minor medical problem.

Whoa, A. Guy, an ambulance for a minor problem? I'm guessing those who do that don't have the money to ever pay for the ambulance ride either.

In the small town where we go to the hospital (same town as where the nursing home is), there is no urgent care place so going to the hospital ER is the only option for any kind of treatment after doctors' office hours. Usually, the ER is not crowded. I have been there with various family members and also for myself many times over the years. Sometimes there is no one else in the ER but more often, one or two others. I've never seen a line of people.

Still, I don't think I've ever gotten in and out of there in less than three hours. Much of that time is spent waiting to be taken for one kind of test or another, then waiting for the test results, and waiting for a diagnosis/decision to come in from a doctor. It is most frustrating when you look around and see you are the only patient there, and yet you wait and wait and wait, after the initial checking in and getting a basic exam and answering questions.

Some of that is country vs city staffing levels. Some of it is time to properly interpret tests for correct diagnosis and treatment. But honestly, much of it is governmental required documentation. Still it is much better than socialized medicine.

OC, the trivial 911 calls were a very big problem some years ago. The City didn't have enough ambulances, and many of those they did have were down for repair. The trivia sometimes caused the seriously ill to have to wait for service, sometimes with dire results. I think the situation has gotten a little better.

If an insured person calls for an ambulance, with the resulting ER visit, and their symptoms are not "life threatening," they will be getting a very large bill. Those without assets are pretty much invulnerable.

In spite of some health care difficulties, in comparison with many other places in the world, we are blessed!

PS: Some of our hospitals are advertising a "see a doctor in 30 minutes" guarantee. :eek:

Back