6-23-2016 - Donuts and Bull Bats

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
Good morning. I woke up early and went out on the deck to see the moon. Since we stay closed up with a/c all the time, I miss hearing the night sounds. Do any of you have Night Hawks? Another name for them around here is "Bull Bat." I suppose it is because of the sound they make. When they swoop down low for something, they make a deep croaking sound. Also, if you are out driving at night on the dirt roads, you may see one sitting right in the middle of the road.

I should get the day started. Daughter and grandkids will be here today but I have no idea what time. Wishing all of you a good day.

Good morning all...Wicked night, big winds started early in the evening. TV would disappear at times, temps were dropping, this a.m. it is raining off and on, still breezy, but it id rain a lot during the night. The hummers were going nutty as they had emptied the feeder, so lucky I was awake so early too, and was able to fill it already. No stargazing for me, too YUK out there, lol, between clouds, grey skies, rain.....oh, well.

Ahhhh, Dirty Dancing was on last night. LOL........yep, watched it, of course. Ha. It is on again, tonight, POP channel. I remember when Jennifer Grey was on Dancing With the Stars, and had not danced since she made that movie. At one point she was given a song from that movie - I think it was Time of My Life - & when they began rehearsing, (she was partnered with Derek Hough) at one point she just stopped, began to cry. Derek reminded her so much of Patrick Swazey who had died just a few months before, she just broke down. I think they really chose such perfect music throughout the film.

Anyway, finished up laundry yesterday, but is laundry ever "finished"? LOL. Cut up a couple cartons of strawberries, and evidently going to have to drag out some "warmer" clothing, as guess what? Just 50 here, in the 40s in town. Oh, yes, we who just had 85, hot and very humid are now shivering. LOL and they say back into 80s tomorrow or Sat. Go figure.

Have a good time with the family, OC.

Trust everyone has a lot better weather. Take care, have a great day, my friends.

Good Morning,

Cool, and drizzly here this morning. I hope this rain goes away before tonight, or we'll be having a wet Girl Scout Meeting at the park. Although, we'll be weaving bookmarks, so I imagine we'll sit in the pavilion so we'd stay dry in there. I need to get all the supplies pulled together this afternoon when we get home from Gena's eye doctor appointment.

OC - Have fun with your family visiting. :)

Barb - I love Dirty Dancing too. I missed it yesterday though, we were at the library. I'll have to get my DVD out one of these days.

Poirot, Jennifer Grey was terrific on Dancing With the Stars. And, she looked the same. :love:

Manda, I have kin in the Cub Scouts; he loves it! My thanks to all of the Scout leaders/workers. :)

We could use a little rain, but it snuck on by. The Travelers called from somewhere west of St. Paul last evening; so far, so good.

A smooth-sailing Thursday to all Spectators!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. I'm heading back outside while it's still cool and before the sun hits the backyard full blast. I found a lizard stuck between a screen and window, so I let him out, lol.

Remmy has broken a few places in the blinds to create peepholes (guess she just must see when I leave or when the treat wagon, aka mail lady comes by). This morning there was a little stream of light coming through an opening. I pretended to try to catch the light and that totally confused Remmy, lol.

Take care everyone.

Well, Dirty Dancing is on again tonight, the POP channel. & p.m. Central. And it ended up, on Dancing With the Stars.....Jennifer Grey won........and a few weeks later was operated on for her back problem (which had bothered her during the DWTS season).

LOL, yeah, she says she went into the operating room a celebrity and came out anonymous. Actually, she had to have a second operation on her nose to correct a problem from the first, and that is when her appearance changed so much.

Good Morning my friends.

The morning light started filtering into the house this morning very early. By 7am it was 94F with full sunshine blazing through the windows. Traffic sounds were humming outside but the faint birdsongs wafted through the air. I miss the quiet nature sounds of the countryside.

Wishing each of you a productive and enjoyable Thursday,

OC: enjoy your visit with your daughter & granddaughter! There are no desert night hawks here. We have enough pigeons to feed an army of hawks though. LOL

POIROT: your current weather reminds me of summer storms in Indiana. But, then, they quickly passed while your storms seem to linger longer. So far this year we have had 1/10 of an inch of rain in Phoenix.

MANDA: hoping no raindrops spoil your Girl Scouts meeting. Gena will enjoy weaving the bookmarks. Have fun.

AGUY: sending wishes for a 'little rain' to come your way this hot Thursday.

KT: yay for another lizard finding freedom! They are abundant here all year long and are so cute. Does Remmy chase the lizards?

Hope all you ladies who missed Dirty Dancing yesterday can watch it tonight on Pop!

Good morning everyone. Just a slight misting now and then here. Luckily, the big storms changed course enough that my area was spared.

Just got back from getting my hair cut. I put it off far too long as usual.

Must look over my report and presentation for the Head Start health advisory board meeting at noon.

Morning all. Our excessive heat warning ends tonight at 8pm. Not sure what exactly that means. It's still toasty.

Now, my brother who is extremely busy, has been working in London and China for the past 2 months, had a couple of days "free" so he flew home to NYC and then to Chicago, where he worked yesterday. And then from Chicago, he is coming to visit our dad.

My brother also owns the condo they lived in and they lived in it rent free. So yesterday I contacted my stepmother and asked what time and where did she want him to meet her. I explained he was in meetings all day and would be on an airplane. Her response, "Oh, for pity's sake, he can contact me himself."

So, I sent the email with the message and his plane was delayed. He started looking at flying east and spending the next two nights in his own bed, but those didn't work out. So he arrived well after midnight and sent me an email saying he'd sleep as long as he could and then would give her a call. I mean really?? This person is making the effort to spend the day with you and you respond with "for pity's sake"???? Amazing.

I will be going to visit with my brother to go over future plans tonight after he has met with her.

I hope everyone has a good Thursday and rain drops where folks want them, and not where folks don't want them.

My area under heat advisory today. So, I'm probably in the rest of the day.
Goldie and I had our walk. Then I spent time in the side flowerbed.

OC, seeing the title of donuts this morning freaked me out. I wondered
how big is a bat named bull bat :) Enjoy your day with family.

manda, please send the rain this way. Are you going to have scout meetings
all summer?

robin, I hope you and your brother get to have a good talk about your dad
and other things. Maybe someone can be hired to help run errands with
your step mom.

rs, do you get paid extra going to a meeting during your vacation?

I hope everyone stays cool and safe today.

Good morning everyone,

Sunny and muggy today, but only to get to 80F. They say it might rain later this afternoon, but it seems for the past few weeks that every time they forecast it, it never happens. I'm going to go for a run in a bit--wanna get that work out in before work Every time I get home from work, I just feel so tired.

OC, have fun with the family. I, too, miss the sounds of summer nights. Our cicadas haven't even appeared yet, nor have the bugs that make the chirping noises at night. I'm guessing its because our spring stayed cool for so long.

Hope all of you have a nice day.

manda, please send the rain this way. Are you going to have scout meetings
all summer?
kat - I would love to send you my rain. :) Maybe if I blow on it really hard it will head south more. :rotfl:

Yes, we are having Girl Scout meetings all summer. I want to make sure our little troop stays engaged so they don't decide to quit on me. And since we got a late start in the fall (1st meeting was late October) I want to make sure we have plenty of time to earn all their petal badges and the journey and fun patches too. We only meet twice a month for an hour.

What the girls don't know is that I'm working in extra petal work into our "fun" meetings so at the end of the summer they will have earned 2 extra petals for using their resources wisely and making the world a better place. :) The bookmarks tonight will be made using recycled cardboard looms and yarn that was donated from other people who had it leftover from various craft projects.

ROBIN: Enjoy your brother's visit! So glad you have help defining a care plan for your father. As for the heat advisory the projections are for high heat through September. Eek

KAT: glad you had some time outdoors before the heat advisory. Enjoy being cool indoors.

DAYS: summer night sounds are so soothing. Hope they return soon.

Last edited:
Noel, a little rain would be much appreciated! A lot would give me a wet basement. :)

Poirot, JS, I didn't notice Jennifer Greys "slight refinement" surgery; I guess that's good. :) I did however notice recently that someone is looking very rested. I wish I could afford some minor touch ups; insurance is uncooperative. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Manda, this talk about craft projects is going to have me thinking about potholder loops again! :)

I've seen TV cosmetic surgeons use the expression when they don't want to hurt a patient's feelings. Some of their work is amazing. I met a woman in an eye doctor's waiting room who had had an eye lift done. The result was remarkable. Insurance sometimes pays for an eye lift, if vision is obstructed.

Watched a long commercial about the medical volunteers that travel around the world repairing cleft palates in poor countries. It looks like a very good place to send donations.

Good afternoon. We've been busy cleaning and doing chores all week. I babysat a friend's daughter for a few hours today and the girls had a great time playing together. Ava's team won both their ball games Monday so they have another game tonight. I hope everyone has a great day.

Back