6/29/21 - Donuts and More Rain

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
Good morning. I had nearly an inch of rain overnight. We're supposed to take my truck to put it in the shop today. I'm waiting to hear whether my niece is going to be able to get off her hill. It's supposed to rain off and on all day. Only get to 84*. Humidity is 100%. Have a good day, everyone.

Good morning. It is deliciously cool here this morning. Yahoo!! It was 86F in my house last night when I went to bed. At 1:00 this morning it had cooled down to 84. At 5:00 it is a lovely 77 -- and much cooler outside. Doors and windows are open and fans are going to bring more of that delicious air inside. I went outside and just stood there -- letting a soft breeze cool my face. What an ordeal the past 3 days have been. Records were broken all over the place. If this is to be our new normal I need to do something to get better prepared!!!!

I may have lost a few plants. Will check in a little while. Would love to have some of your rain, OC. Yesterday, it hurt too much to even step foot outside, so I didn't go to the garden. Last night my daughter invited me to come down and sit in their "cool tub". It sounded very inviting, but I would have had to go outside to get down to her house. I couldn't imagine willingly and deliberately subjecting my body to that heat.

Doctor appointment later this morning to get the results of my recent lab work. Fingers crossed.

Wishing you all a lovely day.

This morning it's sunny and in the 70s. It will in the 80s today with the usual high humidity.
The highs next week might be in the low 90s.

A busy morning for me. When I walked, I found some dry grass for the bird basket. Yesterday, the
female didn't put much inside. Then I watered the front bed before breakfast. After eating, I
moved a plant in the front bed and did weeding. I wanted to stay out longer, but humidity wore
me out. I need to put Miracle Grow on the plant I moved and water by the mailbox. I'll be out
again tomorrow morning.

When I was outside, the finches did an inspection of the basket. I don't think they like the extra
grass, but one year the eggs rolled out of the nest since it wasn't high enough.

I'll be making some phone calls this morning. Later today, I'll be doing the summary.

OC, I hope you won't get too much rain. I'll be getting some tomorrow hopefully after I more
outside work.

Lil0, enjoy the cooler weather.

I hope everyone has a perky day.

Good Morning Everyone,

Raining here again today too. While I know we need it, a few days of sunshine would have helped the garden a lot more than additional rain. I'd send it all to Lil0 and Robin if I could.

Boy did I get a surprise last night. My best friend decided that since we never seem to be able to meet up to go out for lunch for my birthday (2 months ago) due to her crazy work schedule, that she was going to take care of Gena's biggest chore and source of our biggest arguments and she washed the mountain of dirty dishes at my house. I must say it was the best birthday present ever. She was hoping to be done before I got home from work (she has a key to my place just in case) but we caught her in the middle. Gena and I both helped after we got home with drying and putting them away. I'm not lazy, but I refuse to do Gena's chores, of which she has few besides washing dishes. It was so nice to wake up to a clean kitchen.

OC - I hope you don't get too much rain.

Lil0 - I'm so glad to hear that your weather has improved.

Kat - you spoil those little birdies, they should appreciate the extra cushion.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Good afternoon everyone. Another hot humid disgusting day in the 90s here.

Three of us went to another town to get our FBI fingerprinting done for work (part of our every 3 years clearances renewals). On the way we were talking about our favorite lunches as little kids. All 3 of us said fried bologna, fried onions, and mustard sandwiches so we stopped at a store on the way back to get the bologna. The one guy ended up making sandwiches for us and everyone else still in our services department. Oh, yum! Now we all have to watch for swelling in our ankles and feet from all of the extra sodium. It sure is heck getting old.

OC - I hope you're able to get your truck to the shop today.

Lil0 - Prayers that your lab results are good.

kat - It sounds like your bird guests are a little persnickety.

Amanda - Wow, she sure is a good friend to do the dishes for you.

RS - she's my best friend for a reason, I can't say I've ever been lucky enough to help her like that, but I don't have a key to her place as the idea makes her husband uncomfortable. Even though I've known him longer than I've known her. He's a very private person and I respect that. However, I've helped her more than once in a pinch when she needed it and knows that I've always got her back.

Glad you enjoyed your nostalgic lunch, that's so fun.

Mercy, what a day! We couldn't take my truck to the shop because the mechanic's son was killed in a tragic way--something that would make the news. But my niece had some urgent business in town so we decided to go anyway, against our better judgment. Her truck is broke down and she has no way to get out when it rains. 4wd is a MUST and even then, there's no guarantee. So I went over to get her in my truck. Her driveway is a mile long, with curves, through a deep low place, where water runs across, and up a steep hill. Road doesn't have good gravel so becomes a bog in places that don't have a rock bottom. She'd told me to make a circle off the road and into the pasture at one stretch but I couldn't see the path for all the tall weeds and mesquite trees everywhere so I got stuck.

It had just quit raining so everything was sopping wet, tall weeds and mud, hot and muggy, flies and other flying insects all over..... a dreadful mess. My niece had walked down to where I was, then went back and got my tractor. She also got fire ants in her boots. We tried every which way and finally, after 2 1/2 hours, we got the truck out. We went on to town with mud on our pants and with frizzled hair. Took care of her business (and some of mine) at a few places, ate at a Mexican food place, and went to Walmart and got me a copy machine and came home.

It rained very hard on us part of the way home. Her worst fear was a reality--when we got here we found it had rained another 1 1/2 inch, making 2 1/2 since last night. She left me off and went on home in my truck and now I'm getting worried because I told her to call me and let me know if she made it. It's been 45 minutes and I'm hoping she just got busy and forgot to call but I need to call her and find out.

Sure did not seem like it all day, with the sunshine, but rained here surprisingly. Not long, of course, guess you'd say it was a shower, but every little bit helps. LOL Actually, right now as I type, the sun is out, and still raining! Ha.

Went out this a.m. to pick up my prescriptions, got gas, stop at the bank, & short run in to Walmart

And this afternoon, ran out again to pick up hubby's prescriptions, different pharmacy, & a short run in to the supermarket. Both times I told myself (since I cannot locate my two) I would stop for a fly swatter. Nope, forgot both times. This a.m. I was next door to the hardware store. sigghhhh.

I think the birds like the extra softness in the nest. The female has been singing most of the day.

OC, what a day you had. I hope you'll hear from your niece soon and you won't get more rain for awhile.

manda, I'm glad your dishes are washed. What are you going to do if Gena doesn't do her job next time?

rs, I hope you had a nice lunch with your co workers. I never had a fried bologna sandwich before.

Poirot, I hope you didn't get too wet when you did your errands today.

Whew, I called and my niece had just gotten home. Took her 45-50 minutes, usually takes 20. Water all over the county road, in addition to her bad driveway. I even had water covering part of my driveway and that doesn't usually happen, but my driveway is in better shape with different soil and more gravel.

Glad to be settled in and read about all of your happenings. Squirrel, that fried bologna sandwich sounds good. Been a very long time since I've had one.

Egads! I was just notified of mandatory water conservation. All "non-essential" use is prohibited. No laundry, no outside watering, no car washing. Water levels in the reservoirs are at critical lows. I'm probably going to lose some plants. A water main broke. It has been repaired but it will take a while to get levels back to normal.

I thought I'd been here this morning and posted. Sorry bout that.

Lil0 - just how is laundry non essential??? I mean I wouldn't wash my drapes but some undergarments and such might need to be washed. I totally understand the no car washing. In Sacramento you can water outside on odd even days depending on your address and not for long. Good luck with the restrictions.

We've been having issues with out dryer, so I had a guy come out and clean out the vent. In the desert, the dryer vents through the roof????? In Sacramento and Kansas the dryers vent out the side of the house level to the dryer vent. So now we shall see if it is the dryer or the clogged vent.

OC - you have had a day. I hope you have a good night's sleep.

30% chance of rain today with rain choices growing each day, and we are cooler only 106 today.

Happy Tuesday.

Good luck with that dryer vent. Had mine cleaned a week or 2 ago, because of problems. I don't notice much difference. I live in a one story, but the dryer vent goes up thru attic, outside but up high. 43 ft. total. Next door, it is thru the roof, just 8 ft. Much easier to clean. Moisture has lint cling to piping/venting tubes. builds up. Previous home was out the side, maybe 2 feet. Never had a problem at all. Ever. Here, problem very first winter, just a few months after moving in.

Back