7/26/21 - Donuts & Beef Jerky

mandamiee

Reaction score
Good Monday Morning,
Since I'm long past breakfast, I'm having my mid morning beef jerky snack before we go out for our morning walk. It's sunny and while it's nice now, it's supposed to be very hot & humid later. Nothing much on my agenda for today other than a quick trip to Sam's Club after work, to get a big box of single serve chips for the snack shelf at the office. We sell them year round to raise money for the United Way and I got roped into helping with keeping it stocked once I came back to the office.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Good morning........yep, sunshine, hot, humid......so far, no breeze, but who knows? I knew that the "Quilts of Valor" sounded familiar........sure enough, there is a quilting group here that does that for the vets here.
Since they let up somewhat on mask wearing, it has been nice actually "seeing" old friend who I have not seen for over 18 mos. (church). Most folks still doing the 6 ft. away.......so church maybe only 1/2 to 2/3 full. Couples & family sit next to each other, but maintain a distance from anyone else.
The "social" after church has only 5 or 6 tables, spaced further apart. Seems so odd, but necessary, of course.
Guess I am going to have to remember to take list to store, & write down as I notice.....so I don't forget. Problem is, some items only available at Supermarket, some only at WalMart. LOL

Hello, just wanted to pop in quickly. I had an elderly uncle die recently (actually, he was my grandfather's cousin, but we called him uncle). He named me executor of the estate in his will. His wife and only child died decades ago. I've been up to my eyeballs in estate matters. When I'm not working, I'm digging through boxes and boxes of files and paperwork, making calls, etc.

Hope everyone is doing well. :)

Good morning..... HB and I have lunch with a friend later today. Our Cabin has moved to Ready in the Ready, Set, Go evacuation orders. WE don't know if they will let us in or if we have to stay outside of the area.... Waiting for the website to refresh....
Sharing.jpg
Young miss was caught sharing her cookie with her "cousin" the BEAST aka Vinnie.....one of those bite for you, bite for me.... BEAST is having a blast with all of these low to the ground humans.... they generally have food or have had food so he makes sure they are clean.....

JS, good luck with settling the estate.....

LOL, Robin......true about the smaller humans. Love the pic.
JS, Having been in that situation some years ago, fortunately not as huge as what you are dealing with, but I sympathize. So much to go thru, get rid of, sell, dispose of, plus all the paperwork, legal stuff. Mine was minor in comparison to what you are handling. so my family fortunate we downsized quite a bit when we moved to town. A friend of mine just moved to town, having lived in a 5 bd.rm. home for umpteen years. She moved into a larger place than me, but still had to get rid of a lot.

Today I took my car in for it's yearly service. It hardly goes anywhere so I only need to take it in
once a year. Last week, one of the tires seemed to be low again on air. They couldn't find a leak
so I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if loses air again.

JS, sorry to hear about your uncle. Good luck getting the paperwork done.

robin, I hope you'll get to the cabin this year. Happy to see Vinnie having a good time.

Poirot, I still wear masks where ever I go. My state still under 50% getting a shot, but more
people are getting them.

manda, I hope you had a nice walk this morning.

I hope everyone has a good afternoon.

Good morning. Manda, beef jerky sounds good for a snack. Sorry you're getting the hot and humid weather for now. It seems like there's quite a variety going around the country.

Poirot, if I didn't keep a running list like that in my kitchen all the time, I wouldn't remember half of what I need by the time I get to the store. Also, like you, some things are only at Wal-Mart, others at the supermarket, and for me, I do most of my shopping in a small grocery store in another town, and surprisingly, they have some things the other, bigger ones don't have!

Lucky Vinnie! Robin, you are a lot braver than I am to even consider going into that area. I hope it all works out well for you.

Just Samantha, I'm sorry for your loss of a relative. (One of my son's little daughters calls my daughter's husband, "Cousin Uncle John." No idea why). Doing the executor job can be a lot of work, and as you said, time consuming. I'm confident you are well-equipped for the job, and evidently your "uncle," who no doubt knew you well enough, thought so too. I hope it is in some way rewarding for you.

Kat, I hope the low tire was just a fluke. That does happen sometime but it usually happens to me in cold weather.

Another hot, sunny one here, is to reach 102 or 3, I think. It was a noisy night here and I'm so tired today. Didn't get to sleep until around 2:00. One of my bulls was very agitated. When I went to church yesterday morning there was a strange bull out front with him. They were pawing the ground, sizing each other up. When I returned, they were gone. I haven't seen the visitor since. They come and go. But I guess my bull didn't forget about him. If I hadn't known the full moon had already passed, I would have wondered about that. :rolleyes:

My cows also came into my yard right before dark, which isn't their usual pattern. After dark I was hearing heavy breathing outside the window where I was sitting and trying to read. Creepy, yes, but not so strange for a grazing cow. But I was also hearing other little noises not identifiable to me. Then it began, around 8:00 p.m. The bull and his very creepy, low-pitched, guttural sounds, interrupted by occasional loud, shrieking "hollers." This went on till the wee hours of the morning, up near my windows, then fading off in the distance, only to return again and again, as he roamed the pastures looking for only-he-knew-what. I finally went to sleep around 2:00.

This morning I see that the shepherd's hook pole, which my niece had straightened up somewhat from the last event, is once again bent over to the ground. Worse yet, the heavy metal scaffolding, where I put bird seed, has been turned over and it fell only about a foot from my big fixed windows! The cows have also been getting under the shed where my car is parked. It's a tight squeeze so I'm afraid they'll do some damage there, beyond leaving big slurpy licks on the windows. I'm going to have to do something about the cows but I haven't figured out which of a couple of options I want to take. Neither is ideal.

Robin - that picture is adorable.

Kat - have they checked your valve stem (the little thing the air hose gets connected to)? I'm slowly replacing all of them on my car as they are only made to last about 5-7 years now and I've been driving my car for 12.

JS - sorry to hear about your uncle, I wish you the best with getting his estate settled.

OC - oh dear, your cows are sure causing trouble for you. I almost forgot to answer your question from a few days ago, about whether or not I can still work from home, yes I can if need be, for things like a plumber coming over or if Gena would be sick, or whatever really. Most people in my office are working at home 2 days per week and in the office 3 days per week, I'm one of the few who prefers to be in the office every day. I figure the company can pay for me to be in air conditioning rather than paying for it myself.

Last edited:
manda, I wondered when the tires were checked two weeks ago if one wasn't tight. My tires
are less than 5 years old. An icon lights up when the tires need checking.

Kat, I bet that girl on the roller coaster wished she'd had her mouth shut when that bird hit.

Manda, I was thinking if people have the option of working from home when emergencies arise, that seems like a good thing for the company and the employees.

I sometimes have bad tire stems too but I'd never considered having them all replaced. Sounds like a good idea.

Kat - I've had my tires replaced a few times, but they most tire places use the same valve stem rather than install a new one. Those little rubber stems break down just like tires. It's just a thought in case you keep having problems, which I hope you don't of course.

OC - I've had the option to work from home for emergency type situations since about 1 year after I started working where I do. I never used it very often, with the exception of school cancellations for weather and Gena being sick, until we all got quarantined for Covid. I prefer being in the office, it's much easier to focus on work.

Thanks, for the info about the tires I never knew that before.

Back