7/29/2023 - Donuts and Home Again

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
Good Saturday morning. I got home before dark yesterday. Daughter brought me and spent the night, left early this morning. My trip went well--good doctor report, good visit with all my kids, safe travels. But it sure is nice to be home. It truly is too hot to be out and about, especially in a city or traveling. We were driving into the afternoon sun for three hours and it never did feel very cool in the car, which was a change from being in other people's houses, office buildings, and stores, where it was freezing cold to me, in each of those places.

Got home to a peculiar smell in my house. It took me awhile to figure out it was something that's been put in the water. Not chlorine but probably some other disinfectant, though it smells like bug spray. So glad I have other drinking water.

Wishing a good Saturday to everyone.

welcome home OC.... I'm glad you had a good time with family and doctors..... but now to be home must be a huge relief....
I had plans to get up at 6 and be ready to leave the house today at 7 to attend the Tomato Fest..... it's almost 9:30 and I just got up so I fear it will be next year to fest with tomatoes..... I can't eat them, I'm too old to be picked "Queen" of the fest....so I'll get breakfast and go to Target to get a mop so I can clean the kitchen floor really well before the new rug arrives... I purchased a rug for the living room but alas it hasn't even shipped... I'll be looking for another if that one ever arrives I'll just put it in the bedroom.....

Happy Saturday to all....

Always good to get back to the homestead. I don't know why....I thought you had your own well, OC, guess not. Can you run your water thru a hose outside for a bit...........might be that it was just not being used thru the pipes for a while???
Was a nice 59 at 7 a.m. but already is 68, on it's way to the 80s......sun shine....... Have yet to have breakfast, only OJ and coffee so far. No plans to leave here, at least so far. Last week younger son said he thought he'd come up this weekend, but said no more, ....kind of hard (to me) for him to drive up on Sat., then go back on Sunday! 3 1/2 hrs each way. And with the sun........makes it hard (as O.C. just noted)

Another hot one here. I woke up before alarm again. I'm trying not to take the pills I have.
I think I dozed awhile.

My errands are done. I'm cleaning inside and only go outside for the mail.

OC, I'm glad you had a nice family visit and your doctor report was fine.

robin, sorry your tomato fest. You must have needed sleep since you woke up late.
I hope you won't have to be out long in the heat.

Poirot, enjoy I hope you have a good day.

I hope everyone can stay cool during the heat.

Heat wave ends tonight for all, I think. Didn't go further than shopping center downstairs and Dollar Tree across the street to run usual errands. Tomorrow will be much more bearable and can walk a little further to more stores.

OC - Congratulations on receiving a good doctor's report and getting back home safely.

Robin - Hope your rug arrives soon!

Poirot - Wishing you a great day, no matter what you end up dong.

Kat - Like me, you got errands done early. Stay cool.

Everyone enjoy your day!

1690657814509.png

Hi everyone!

OC, it’s always good to get home.

robin, I have a tomato fest in my garden if you are interested :rotfl: I’m going to have a lot to can we they all ripen.

Poirot, hopefully your son can visit you soon.

kat, glad you are keeping cool with the heat.

Wilde Woman, I’m actually looking forward to it being in the 80s tomorrow.

I’ve just cleaned and done laundry today. I’ve only stepped outside to throw the trash into the bin.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

Wilde Woman, I'm glad you're getting cooler weather. It's going to be hotter for me this week.
I wish I could afford to live in NYC. I would like just going out the door walking where I need
to go.

red, are your tomatoes doing well with the strange weather?

Wilde Woman, I too am happy for you to be having some upcoming cooler weather. Like Kat, mine is going the other direction. We're looking at 106* to 108* for all of next week. I can't even imagine walking across the street for shopping. That probably wouldn't be much, if any, farther than walking from store to parked car at grocery stores or Wal-Mart here.

Kat, I hope you can get away from taking the pills, if that's what you are trying to do. It seems like all the work you do outside would be the best remedy for sleep but sometimes even that doesn't help.

IamRed, yummy, your salsa with fresh tomatoes and peppers sounds good!

Poirot, somehow I mistakenly thought your son was only a couple of hours away. I know what you mean about them driving that far on one day, only to do it again the next. I felt bad for my son to come out and get me, and then my daughter to bring me back this week (though I was grateful). I tell myself if they weren't driving out here they'd be driving somewhere all over Dallas for one reason or another, which is an exaggeration but not a great big one. Oh, I do have a well. For my entire life it was our only source of water, up until city water was finally brought to the rural areas about 20 years ago. Now I only use the well for the cattle, and to provide water for a small hunter's camp, which is located near the well (about a mile from my house). Unfortunately, the piping that brought it to the house is no longer usable or even findable, as it is long grown over with weeds and trees and brush and pasture grass. There are times and situations where I would like to be able to use it.

Robin, you would make a wonderful Tomato Fest Queen, regardless of age. Sorry it was too hot for you to attend but I sure do get it. I would have also convinced myself that it was too hot to mop a floor but that doesn't take much convincing for me. A clean one is so rewarding though.

My daughter frequents natural foods stores so I usually end up going to one with her when I'm at her house, but most of the time I don't buy anything myself. This time I bought two packages of scones and left some of them at her house. She eats fewer sweets and carbohydrates than I do but we both like these scones and they're an unusual treat for me.

Well did a load of laundry, then into the dryer and now all put away. Made a salad for dinner later, my son arrived, seems he has a class reunion tonite, lolol. Actually, it is only 6 or 7 miles from here. Well, he did his schooling here.....fortunately this is high school reunion.....if it was college, it would be closer to where he lives.

Gotta say, I preferred having a well. With the sandy soil there, yes the boonies, the water was so filtered, and was just so good. Never a stain from it. Cannot say the same for the "city" water I have now.
However, I am really close to everything here, store, doctors, church, shops, the butcher, etc. But then this is a small town, so really doesn't have the conveniences of larger ones, like public transportation, shoe stores, dime stores, department stores (just WalMart) even the dry cleaners went out of business. Guess folks no longer need to have clothes dry cleaned any more. But sure do still have the touristy things, souveniers, post cards, sweatshirts, lol. Hey, not making fun, I was in that business for many years.
OC, you are very lucky you have children around who will drive you somewhere, anywhere, are able & willing to do so. Even if not living close by. Heck, here I am in very northern Wisconsin.....my 2 daughters live in Houston, & Atlanta. Even if I could get down to either place, neither would be able to drive me home. LOLOL My son lives mid-state here in WI, and tho it could be difficult, he would and does go out of his way if I need help. We had a bad storm earlier this week, a couple of trees came down by our cabin at the lake, he is only going to be here 24 hrs, but is arranging for them to be cut up and taken care of.
Truly hope you all are enjoying the weekend, and hoping anyone with the very hot heat has gotten a lower temp today. God B less.

Back