8/1/2023 - Donuts and Hello August!

OC- Thank you! I was going to start it now, but you beat me to it! I hope you have a nice day.

Another gorgeous day in NY. Sunny, 77 degrees, 37% humidity. I understand the humidity will increase as the week progresses, but nothing like what we had last week, thank goodness.

Wishing all a lovely Tuesday.

1690906495861.png

Good afternoon everyone. Another nice day here, too. This is more like our September weather...high 70s during the day and mid 50s at night. Definitely my favorite weather besides winter when it is easier for me to breathe. The Canadian wildfire smoke has once again moved in here.

I've spent most of the day chasing down people in our offices across the state so I could hound them about getting their clearances renewed. Yep, not in my job description. Someone higher up thought it was a good idea to pass this job off to me when we came back after the COVID shutdown in 2020, and they never assigned it back to HR. They somehow forgot to give me the authority to actually make people do what I tell them has to be done before their clearances expire.

OC, thank you for starting the thread.

WW, enjoy this lovely weather. Both that pool and the ocean look very inviting.

It was cloudy and cool again this morning when I walked. I hung out a sheet and picked up petals when I came home.
Then I worked outside awhile in the side bed. Then sun stayed behind the clouds until I was almost finished. There
was a lot of stuff to clean out. I got the butterfly bush out from all the weeds. The bush isn't doing well this year.

OC, thanks for starting the topic today. Tuesday is my busy day since I do the summary.

Wilde Woman, enjoy your nice day. It's sunny and in the 90s now. It feels hotter.

rs, take care with the smoke and good luck with project you have to do.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day.

Got up to watch the Women's Soccer Game this morning at 2 am.... lasted just a few minutes before I fell asleep in the chair...... oh well, at least the team moves on.....

It's currently 101 in Wichita on it's way to 104 with a feels like 110.... I've been in 110 this is worse..... the little boy next door is outside playing so Vinnie is going nuts.... I think it's a shared custody thing as the kid is here every other week..... they don't want to talk, rarely say hi back when I try to talk with them....

I did make it out to vote today..... first time in the new state..... woo hoo..... I used a voting machine even.... the guy said most older people prefer to bubble in the paper.... that was an odd thing to say..... the machine printed out the paper that I took to the tabulator machine and it had my candidate on it.... so really what's so mystical about voting machines??? Then I stopped by and got 13 more ears of corn and a watermelon and a butternut squash..... can hardly wait till the watermelon is cold enough to eat....

Happy Tuesday all.....

I used a voting machine even.... the guy said most older people prefer to bubble in the paper.... that was an odd thing to say..... the machine printed out the paper that I took to the tabulator machine and it had my candidate on it.... so really what's so mystical about voting machines???
All of which proves that you are not an older person! While a lot of older people are fine with machines, there are many of us who are still more comfortable with paper.

I got out this morning before it got hot and hauled my garbage to the community dumpster. I had to air up a tire first. On the way home I decided to go around past my far pasture to see if I could spot any cows from the county road. (Already getting too warm to make that rough drive through the pastures without air conditioner). This was three miles from my house. I did see some cows inside the pasture but to my dismay, I found one out in the road. This, after moving them over there a couple of weeks ago because they were getting out in the road from the pasture closer to my house. I stopped before I got to her and just sat there with the engine running. To my relief, she turned around and walked back over to the fence and into the pasture. I wonder how many have been going in and out without me knowing about it?

Came back by my old dump and unloaded some old heavy metal cable into it. Told my niece later and she said she'll go get it and sell it. She's welcome to it. It was all I could do to load and unload it.

I decided I should be watering my trees. Should have started it long before now. A summer of triple digit temperatures with no rain, and hordes of grasshoppers, are taking a toll on everything. I never water things so thought I'd have to buy some hose to reach my front yard, since there is no hydrant in the front, but I scrounged up a couple of very old ones that seem to work okay. I only watered two things, then it was too hot.

I've noticed the days are getting shorter at both ends. No cooler here so far though.

We have smoke again from Canada, so skies are hazy. They said it might rain tonight, which is the best time for watering, as no sun to dry it all up so fast. Have noticed that it is no longer light at 9:30 p.m. LOL Yeah, we are losing around 2 minutes of light each day......as we head towards fall.

Hi everyone!

Wilde Women, hope you are enjoying your weather this week.

rs, don’t you love having to chase down adults and remind them what they need to do for their job:rolleyes:

kat, glad you were able to get a lot of yard work done.

robin, all we have here is the bubble sheet. It’s nice you have options.

rfsexton, what miserable weather to get groceries in.

OC, I’m imagining that cow looking at you like a kid that got caught :rotfl:

Poirot, stay safe with the smoke.

They were doing construction in my office today because we have 2 new dentists starting next week. Never noticed how similar tools for building and tools for dentistry sounded. Also, our schedules change next week so we will be playing musical appointments.

Hope everyone has a wonderful night!

red, I hope you get a schedule you can live with.

robin, I hop glad you got out to vote today.

OC, I'm glad your cow went back over the fence by itself.

In AZ I was on the permanent mail in voter list. I'd mail it in, two days later get an email that the ballot had been received then a couple of days later I'd be notified it had been counted. But I registered too late to get a mail in ballot. I'm not sure in Kansas they have a list of folks who get the ballot mailed. It is very important to me to vote. I researched the candidates and voted for someone who apparent only family voted for. The incumbent will be in a run off and a TV personality will run against him..... what could go wrong????

Capture.JPG
cut cow for no reason.... just saw on Instagram.....

When I became old enough to vote, registered, and have never failed to vote in any election, matter how unimportant it may have seemed or where I lived. First Chicago, then the suburb. When I moved to WIsconsin, same. I even served in our town government for 9 years. Now I am in the main town (no longer rural), yes registered to vote. When hubby was ill he used mail-in ballot, and after he passed away, an election was coming up, and a ballot arrived for him for that election. So they do keep someone on the mail in list (I have informed them about hubby's death).

O.C. I have returned envelopes, unopened (after 2nd/third time) written "deceased, return to sender".......with his name crossed out....that worked well.

Back