8/12/2023 - Donuts and a Steamy morning

robinsnest

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good Saturday morning.... today when I took the beast out, I did not have the open the door to a pleasant morning as promised by the weather guesser..... I had a punch in the chest you really don't want to breath water kind a morning..... It's already in the 80's and icky.....
I did go out last night to the end of the block and saw a couple of "shooting stars" it hadn't looked promising earlier so Hunny Bunny went to bed.... I caught a brief period of no clouds and dark....

Off to make breakfast and then have an official start to the day.... Good Saturday to all....

Thunderstorm at bedtime last night. It stormed and rained early this morning too.
More rain coming this morning. I made cat stay in last night.

It's so stuffy in my house since the carpet is so wet. I opened windows in bedroom
and kitchen.

Sunday school group meeting at the mall for lunch. I'm going to pick poke before
I go and make later. I need to start cleaning up the other closet floor.

robin, did you figure out the leaky window problem?

I hope everyone has an enjoyable day.

Hi everyone!

robin, ugh to your humidity.

kat, I’m sorry your carpet still hasn’t dried out.

It’s 90 here today. I haven’t gone outside yet. I spent the morning canning tomatoes and chopping up peppers and onions for the freezer. I also have an insane amount of jalapeños that I’ve got to do something with.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday!

Good afternoon. Kat, it's a shame you couldn't get that carpet out of there at the beginning. I hope the floor underneath it doesn't start to mold and warp. This has caused you so much work. I know you're going to be relieved when it's all cleaned up and fixed.

IamRed, what delicious meals you're going to have this winter!

Robin, sometimes the weather guessers don't have the same idea of nice weather that I do. It gets my attention when the wind is blowing 40 mph but they say the weather's nice because the sun is shining. Which direction in the sky are the shooting stars to be found? Early or late?

There have been clouds moving through the past few evenings, with lightning, but the rain has stayed way north of here, mostly over the state line into Oklahoma. All moving east. They've been fighting a fire not too far across the river from me for a few days. I could see the smoke yesterday. I don't know if it's out yet or not. The temperature continues up close to 110*.

Another day of critter watching for me. Before sunup this morning I got excited when I thought the fox had returned. I was getting my phone to try to get a picture, though it wasn't very light yet. Then I looked closer and realized this was a coyote. A young one, so closer in size to a fox, and its coat was fresh and full, unlike some of the scroungy coyotes I see. It just sniffed at the different water pans, then turned around and trotted off back down the hill. I don't know what that was all about. Raccoons and mockingbirds still doing their things.

Strange weather day in NY. Hot, humid, sunny...until a few minutes ago. The skies opened up not long after I got home from local errands. Then the sun came out again. But the skies are still threatening.

Robin - I hope your weather improved as the day wore on.

Kat - Sounds like a busy day, hope all went well. Can empathize with dampness in the house, same in my apartment.

IamRed - Hope you find a good use for the jalapenos!

OC - I enjoy hearing about the little "zoo" in your own backyard.

Everyone enjoy the rest of your Saturday!

1691872733610.jpeg

I got everything off the floor in the big closet. Things will stay in areas until new floor put in.
I'll sort things and decide what I will keep and what to give away. I've had most of the my
stuffed animals in a box since I moved here 16 years ago.

Opening the windows helped a lot with the smell.

The poke is boiled down. I just have to add an egg tomorrow when I finish cooking it.

OC, I think under the carpet is concrete as flooring. I didn't have anyone close to help me
take it up that day. Service Master comes Tues. They pick up carpet and take it away.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/perseid-meteor-shower-where-when-to-watch

Close your eyes and get ready to make a lot of wishes—or actually, you'd better keep your eyes open for this one!
The beloved Perseid meteor shower is officially upon us, and like every year, it is active from mid-July to late August. However, as NASA points out, this year it is peaking on the night of Saturday, August 12, which is *checks notes* this weekend. In addition to this, the days surrounding the peak—August 11 and August 13—should also provide opportunities to see the shower.
We've got some great news for you, stargazers. It's supposed to be a great year for Perseid meteors, which are generally thought to be one of the most impressive meteor showers most years, even if last year's show was a bit of a bust due to a full moon. According to Space.com, the moon is set to be only 10% illuminated during the shower's peak this year, making it ideal conditions to better see the meteors. Don't worry about missing out—they're supposed to be many. The Perseids flaunt a very high rate of meteors per hour, and they can reach a rate of between 150 and 200 per hour. On average, according to NASA, you can catch around 100 per hour.
Though the Perseids are peaking this weekend, they have already been active since July 17, so stargazers have already captured some gorgeous shots of the shower ahead of its peak. Last week, the Department of the Interior posted an epic timelapse video to X (formerly Twitter) that captured the Perseids streaking across the night sky.

Where to look for the Perseid meteor shower​

Now, onto the important stuff. Where and when should you locate yourself to better see them? The answer is the Northern Hemisphere, to start. In terms of an actual spot, you should aim to find the darkest possible location, so it is advisable to do some research and find the nearest Dark Site or a place with very low light pollution. You might want to go to sleep early before your stargazing endeavor, though—the best time to catch them is the pre-dawn hours.
Once you've done that, you're pretty much set—you won't need any equipment or binoculars, but you should allow your eyes to adapt to the dark. In order to do that, lay down and look at the sky towards the north for a good 30 minutes, after which you can expect to start seeing some gorgeous shooting stars. Additionally, NASA recommends getting comfortable—bring a blanket or a sleeping bag, and plan to lie flat on your back. Happy stargazing!

Thanks for posting that information, Robin. I guess my star gazing day are over. Getting sleep has become too important to me for getting up in the predawn hours to look at anything. Also, finding a place to lie down outside and look up at the sky is no longer on my list of things to do. I slept outside many nights when growing up, and my youngest son and I lay down in the back of our pickup truck with binoculars to look at Haley's Comet back in the 1980s?

Robin, I know some people are doing concrete floors these days but I'd think the vast majority of people wouldn't want it, and if someone does, it seems the concrete should be smooth and sealed.

Kat, in your case, having concrete under the carpet may be a good thing. Wood floors could be terribly damaged. It's so good you have a place like Service Master to take care of the carpet!

Opened up Thunderbird to send an e-mail to find that tho fine yesterday, the sent and trash files were gone, as were drafts/ Inbox there, even got one new e-mail, but no more the rest of the day. I had to send 2 e-mails so......no idea what happened, but tho I tried all sorts of things, nothing worked. Even the help suggestions on Thunderbird site. I don't know if I should get new mail program, download a new thunderbird, tho they say it was updated 5 da ys ago. Sheesh.

I normally take my Subaru out to a dark place and lean the seats of the car back and open the moon roof. it's bug free and comfy.... I can watch the sky in a really comfortable position..... :)

On our move here it took two days but 3 computer days Hunny Bunny opened his computer and his email, @myexcel.com was gone.... the company without warning went belly up or something everything was gone, his address book, years of emails, pictures. A new gmail account was created and he's back but it's still annoying... and no word from the company after phone call after phone call.... annoying.

someone posted this on Facebook...
sky king.JPG

Sexton, I'm so sorry. I talked with my daughter in Dallas this afternoon. They came home yesterday from a 2-day trip and found their house at 95*, a/c not working. A/C guy came, said it was electrical, not the a/c unit. So they had to get an electrician, who couldn't come until today. They had to spend the night with a friend. You can't stay in homes with no a/c in this kind of weather. I hope your box gets fixed soon.

Poirot, OH NOOOO!

Robin, that's an excellent idea about star watching. There is a high hill 3 miles from here that is wide open all around, and no houses or lights in view. I've often thought of driving my truck over there some night to look at the sky but I'd still have to get outside of it to see much, and outside at night is too buggy for me. I had never thought of taking my car and opening the sun roof.

Once again, I'm ignorant......I don't get the thing about SKY KING. Wasn't that an old tv show or something?

Back