8-18-2016 - Donuts & Jam

Noel

Reaction score
Good day everyone. It is a few minutes of pre-dawn light before the sun begins to rise on the east this day. The sky has a faint pink and orange glow with streaks of blue encircling the sky. A beautiful moment to reflect on what is truly important in my life each day.

We are scheduled for another hot & dry day at 109F. There is no relief in sight. I keep adding new Autumn wallpapers to my laptop and phone. A girl can dream!!

My lower back is protesting my schedule today with its long list of 'must do' items. Looking forward to a quiet Friday of reading and relaxing. Wishing each of you an awesome day!

I have no idea WHY this old phrase popped into my head when I read the day's title....

"Must be jelly cuz jam don't shake like that". I have no idea where I ever heard it, who said it, or why it ever stuck in my mind. LOLOL

Good morning, woke up at 5, still dark out, stayed in bed, I think I may have finally dozed off for 1/2 hr. because tho I tossed, turned, and tried to sleep, thinking I was not successful, it was now 6:20....and light out. LOL Have to go to dr. today, also taking my car in so they can put it on a hoist and check the power steering. Long story, won't bore you, is doing o.k. but have had a couple of hicups. better safe than sorry.

Good Morning,

Just finished with my health risk assessment for my health insurance. Must say I'm starving (and eating McDonald's as I type). I usually eat breakfast at 5:30, so waiting until 9 is a nightmare.

Have a fun plan for my Girl Scouts tonight. We'll be planting some spider plants in recycled "pots" that they will get to paint and decorate themselves. The "pots" will be made out of empty soda bottles. It will most likely be our last meeting in the park until next summer, so I wanted to make it fun and a little bit messy.

Barb - I hope you car isn't too expensive to fix.

Noel - sounds like a beautiful sunrise.

"Must be jelly cuz jam don't shake like that"

That's an old song from the 1940s, Glenn Miller I think, lol. I remember my granddaddy singing it.

Just another day here. Still having scattered thunderstorms most days. I'm ready for some serious stargazing! I missed the entire Perseid meteor shower due to clouds.

Take care everyone.

Ahhh, lol, that explains it, kt. Over the years I have bought "collections" of various decades of music from Readers Digest, and yep, my sis did some as well via TV, (she was sucker for those TV commercials, call now, etc. ) and I may even have a Glen Miller Tape. (She wanted me to have her music collection, so I got tons of CDs and tapes after she passed away). Hubby had put some things up on an auction, and since my 8 track player was broken, and I gave the auctioneer a whole big bunch of them to sell. The jerk just put them in a bag, sold the whole shebang ($500-$800) for $1.00. Whoever got them undoubtedly put them on CDs and I do hope is enjoying them!)

Glad to know where I ever heard that line. LOL Thanks, kt.

Good morning. I'm surprised I have never heard that song because I too have a bunch of those Reader's Digest collections and some from Smithsonian, I believe, and I've listened to them a lot over the years, though not recently. Mine are on cassettes. I've wanted to get them copied to CD but never got them done while the husband was able to do those things.

I was worn out and had taken an allergy pill so I slept long and hard last night until husband was hollering out for me from the front room after 7:00 this morning. He wasn't in any trouble but I guess he's not used to me sleeping that late.

I had a most pleasant surprise at the dentist office yesterday. I'd broken off part of a back tooth months ago and was sure it would need a crown. (I have many crowns). But the dentist said the part missing wasn't as big as it felt to my tongue. He said there was no need to do anything to it, so he just did x-rays to be sure there was no problem, and then he filed off the sharp edges and sent me on my way! It doesn't get any better than that at the dentist office!

Noel, dream on. Fall will get here, but I imagine it doesn't look very different in your area. Maybe a bit more moderate temperatures though. You've been stuck in the dreadful heat for too long. We've had a few summers where it was way over 100* for weeks without a break. It it oppressive.

Manda, you have done a wonderful job with the girls this summer. I hope this last outdoor activity will top off the summer with a big bang of success!

It is raining ever so lightly, off and on, this morning. I haven't thought what to do with the rest of the day. I still only want to sleep more. The allergy pill is still in effect.

Noel - I love the way you can dream pictures in your head to make the day bearable in the heat.

Poirot - hope your car is ok - kind a scary. I remember my daughter coming up from the basement one time asking what is this - an 8 track tape! We had to explain what it was and I felt really old.

Amanda - your project tonight sounds like fun, I'm sure the girls are going to enjoy it.

KT - so sorry you missed the meteor shower due to clouds. That is what usually happens to me. I live in the city so it's kind of worthless at times anyway but this last week was really awesome. They were so bright and long - missed a lot of sleep but well worth it.

OC - Allergies are not fun. One takes the medicine to clear it up and then you're drowsy for days. Maybe the rain will help?

Staying up way to late between the meteor shower watching and the Olympics and it's starting to catch up to me. Last night I sat outside until 11:00pm talking to my friend in Alabama and it was still 82 degrees. I wish it was that way all year long. :(

Have a great day
Shan

Insanely busy morning today. We have a 2% chance of showers per the weather guy. Really?? You are announcing a 2% chance?????

Scanned and sent off all the paperwork to the VA to see if stepmom qualifies. Apparently she is a good case. So now, as soon as I send them money, they will send her money. Yippee. Currently my brother is paying her rent. Sort of to make her look penniless. She is. But given the lack of money she has, she'd be out on the streets before the end of the year.

Enjoy working from home today. Just don't feel like being social. I can growl and the old hunny bunny.

Good Thursday to all.

Foggy this morning and cool. I'm not sure if I'll get outside or not today since
rain came earlier than the forecast.

I spent longer the school library since I had orientation first. Non fiction is ready
for Monday for checking out books. Some books didn't have the big number
on the
side to show location. Now they do. I reclassified five books and got old stickers off.

Librarian will have to print out new tags. The horse, dog and dinosaur books have picture
stickers on them now. I won't worry about the fiction books. Next week, I need to get
new books stamped and labeled.

Noel, I hope you were able to take time for a relaxing lunch.

robin, I hope things go well for your stepmom.

manda, have a good girl scout meeting.

Poirot, I hope the car won't be too expensive to fix.

OC, I'm glad your dentist appt was better than expected.

kt, sorry you missed the meteor shower.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their afternoon.

Only four more days until Days is back :)

Good morning! Ah, well it is afternoon for many of you :). I hope you are having a good one.

Beautiful full moon last night!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if this will be a long day or a short one. On 4 hours sleep I will either be dragging most of the afternoon or will fall asleep and call it a day. We'll see.

I'm trying to get house, yard, and pets ready for me to be gone on vacation for awhile. Taking an Alaska cruise. I expect sensational scenery!!!!

Oh Lil0, I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I'm having a very lazy day, enjoying the slow rain, off and on. Almost up to half an inch. Sitting here with the husband, going through tv channels. Nothing either one of us wants to watch. Saw something about Audie Murphy. My husband is not a fan of westerns like I am, but he gets emotional over war heroes, so being familiar with Audie Murphy's history, I knew he would enjoy hearing some details. I looked it up and read some of it to him.

This man was pretty remarkable. He came from a family of 12 kids, father was a sharecropper in Texas but deserted the family early on. Audie quit school in 5th grade, picked cotton for $1 a day to help support the family. The mother died when he was 16. He lied about his age and joined the army before he was old enough. He was the most decorated Army combat soldier of WWII. Received the Medal of Honor for valor at age 19. Came home with what is now known as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Got addicted to pain pills. Eventually locked himself in a hotel room for a week and withdrew from the pills. Got into movies, died just short of age 46 in a plane crash in Virginia.

I know everybody can't be exceptional, but I often think of him when I hear of people becoming criminals because they grew up poor. There were many of his generation who weren't famous but still overcame hardships that most of us can't imagine and went on to live decent lives.

Hi everyone!

I went and picked up my wedding dress today. It wasn't supposed to come in until September but came early. I'll go back later for alterations. I had to go by myself because my mom is working, my maid of honor is working, and my dad had to take my aunt to the eye doctor. It's an hour drive each way. So it was quite the trek plus they were doing road work on the south bound lane of the 4 mile long bridge I had to cross so that was fun. When I got off the bridge I stopped at the Tropical Smoothie and treated myself to a smoothie and sandwich.

Noel, love your vivid description of the early morning.

Point, that line made me giggle.

robin, sounds like you are a better daughter to your stepmother then her children.

manda, good luck with tonight's Girl Scout project.

OC, I hope you can shake the effects of the allergy medicine.

Lil0, have fun on your trip.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

I got outside. I got the grass raked. I had two cans this time to move instead of seven.

I decided to get rid of more ground cover in my flowerbed. I got so far back and stopped.
I realized the piece of mulch had eyes on it. A brown colored snake. I'm not sure if a good
snake or bad one. I backed away and came inside. It might be dead since it didn't move
when after I went back to see if it's still there. My yardman killed a copperhead on Sunday.
It was in the ditch and about 10 inches long. I should have had him show me so I know
what it looked like.

Lil0, enjoy your trip. I would love to take an Alaskan cruise.

robin, sounds like you are a better daughter to your stepmother then her children.

That I am. And it's annoying to no end. Stepmom tells my brother, and I guess others, what a wonderful person I am. But does she tell me??

As for the Olympics, I'm in heaven. When working from home, I stream live events that never appear on television and at night I'm glued to the channel. However, that being said, I HATE all the announcers. I can see that they are running/swimming/volleyballing. You don't have to say "and look, lane 5 is out in front, but lane 2 is catching up." It's a 10 second race, I can see it. Shut UP, already.

Didn't I say I was grouchy today. Grrrr. :)

LOL, and good late afternoon to you all. I also have not watched a single Olympic event. I have watched in the past, but yes, the announcers drove me up a wall, so did the recaps, and the travelogues, which seemed to take up the time that should have been spent covering events. Anyway, Nope, I hear on radio, and the 10 p.m. news whatever happened, (and good for Michael Phelps).

Well, my car needed no fixing, they could not find anything wrong, but were emphatic that if it happened again, bring it in right away. LOL. So, when you lose power steering, after turning on your car and driving a mile or so, shut the car off, and when you turn it back on, all is running fine......And it is a Sunday. LOL. Told him I just wasn't gonna park outside their door for 18 hrs. waiting for them to open. LOL

There was a car across the highway, in the gas station parking area, that had it's horn going for over 3 hrs. Weird.

Oh, an Alaskan cruise, that is wonderful. I know you will truly enjoy it.

Robin.....I hope you double whatever thumbs down you were planning to write about that funeral mortuary. To charge you $25 for each death certificate is outrageous, even if your dad wasn't a vet. Make sure the Better Business Bureau gets included in your letters.

Glad so many of you all ARE enjoying the Olympics. That is good!

Back