8/19/23 - Donuts and World Honey Bee Day

IT's hot and yucky in Wichita today..... Hot I'm used to, I can deal with hot... yucky is not a thing to deal with..... Grandson is at a Scout event this weekend, a Shooting Championship. Not quite sure what it entails but he will be out in the prairie retrieving things.... or at least that's what it sounded like.... I hope they have a spot for him to cool off and all the other scouts out there. He was excited to be able to shoot this weekend. I know this because he was picked up by HB and camped at our house for the hour till he could go to the drop off station. DIL had to work. More HB driving.
last weekend I went to a place in Kechi and made myself a pumpkin...
2023 Pumpkin.jpg
it's a small glass blown pumpkin..... not perfect but then neither am I.....

I hope everyone stays safe this weekend, mainly my coastal dwellers in Southern California and Desert Dwellers in both California and Arizona.. and of course everyone reading this. Stay safe, be kind....

It's hot and yucky here too. It's sunny and in the 90s, but feels over a 100 with humidity. The forecast
changed and starting tomorrow it will be over 100 until the end of next week.

I didn't wake up as early as I did during the week since bedroom not as hot after the fans gone. I got
my shopping done. I'm in for the rest of the day. Tomorrow AM I'll be outside awhile.

robin, what a cute pumpkin.

I hope everyone is having a nice Saturday.

I think the pumpkin is cute, too! Has hit 84 here, on it's way further up, sun, blue sky, the whole shebang. My son raises bees......wonder if he knows today is a special day for them. He started with about 6 hives, I think it is up to 15 now. They sure do multiply. lol. He has given a lot to friends or neighbors who wanted to get started doing that. Trouble is, you always need a queen, and they are not plentiful. Rather rare when you are in that business. .
Tried to shop for groceries a couple times this past week, but the employees were blocking aisles with huge tray carts full of boxes to stock......So I always ended up with just a few items and frustration had me check out. Maybe I will have better luck after church tomorrow. LOL

Hi everyone!

robin, that pumpkin is cute.

kat, glad your bedroom is cooler so you can sleep better.

Poirot, hope your grocery shopping goes better tomorrow.

I canned some tomatoes and put jalapeños in the freezer. Plus I cleaned the office and have done laundry. Dinner is a pork loin in the crockpot. I’ll cut up potatoes and onions to bake in the oven to go with it.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!

Robin, the pumpkin is cute but before I scrolled down and read what it was, I thought the green thing on top was a knight riding an elephant. It could be and still would make a cute pumpkin. Blown glass is so neat! Pretty colors. I bet the grandson enjoyed the shooting event, unless it was too hot to enjoy anything.

IamRed, I hope your kitchen stays cool, with all that canning you've been doing. You're having a busy day, getting a lot done.

Poirot, that's a lot of hives your son is working! My beekeeper lady retired some years ago and I miss getting the free honey from her. The hives are still on my property. I thought I'd found someone to tend them a couple of years ago but it didn't work out. The hives are in a remote place in my pasture, hard to access. I don't know if they are still even any good by now. Sad for them to go to waste.

Kat, I'm glad you had a cooler bedroom and more sleep last night.

It's something over 100* here. I haven't looked lately. Supposed to be 109*-112* today. The raccoons are starting to get on my nerves now. I was enjoying the one with the one baby but the new one with her two babies seem to have taken over everything. They come out earlier each day (10:00 this morning) and have pretty much decided to spend the day out there now. They ran the squirrel off this morning. That mama is mean. She hogs the food and even slaps her babies for a loop when they try to get some. But the babies were cute yesterday when they were tumbling around, scuffling in the grass.

The birds have only the early morning to get a bite of food now (and more birds are coming around) or little snatches in between the raccoons constant coming and going. On the bright side, the birds seem to like the misters. I was especially happy to see the shrike sitting on it yesterday, letting it hit him right in the face. This bird is also known as a "Butcher Bird" in common language.

Good afternoon (almost supper time here). It is a bit cool today in the mid 70s, but going back up to the 90s starting tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some painting done if the humidity doesn't get too bad.

My new Verizon modem/router finally arrived, and I just got it set up through the computer. It doesn't seem any better than my 5 year old one. Now to connect everything else to it.

I ended up sleeping most of yesterday after my marathon medical day. Cindy called to wake me up and tell me to go to bed around 8:45 last night. She knew my neck would be hurting worse if I spent all afternoon and night on the couch. It was too late for supper so had some crackers before going to bed.

robinsnest - I absolutely love your pumpkin and the Christmas ornament you posted on Facebook. My Mom's Dad was a master glassblower in Italy, and a US company brought him and the family over to become citizens. The company mainly wanted all of the different formulas and techniques that he had stored in his head.

OC - raccoons are definitely a nuisance. We're not allowed to kill them or trap them for release elsewhere. It has to be done by a licensed trapper who has to get a permit to release them in the mountains.

red - Boy, you sure have been busy preparing your produce for winter.

Poirot - When the store workers are blocking the aisles while stocking or filling orders for pick up, I interrupt them and have them get what I want off the shelf. Only once have I had to complain to a manager that I couldn't shop/spend money because the employees were inconsiderately blocking the aisles.

kat - I'm glad you were able to have a good sleep, too.

Last edited:
Capture.JPG
wait.... what??? I moved to avoid this..... COME ON...

rs---- That is so neat about you Grandfather.... I watch these folks get the glass and work it then add color and such.... It's so amazing.....

OC it is too hot to enjoy most anything today..... I just hope they have a place to cool down the boys after the event,....

Just now talked to my brother and sister-in-law in Palm Springs, California. They're still filling sandbags to put around their house. All of their windows are already boarded up.

Thank goodness my brother is a weather geek, and bought everything needed well in advance. He said supplies were hard to find even then because who ever thought a hurricane would hit the desert!?!? Many people have nothing to use.

robin, the heat index where I live hit 109.

rs, I hope things go well for your brother in California.

OC, sorry to hear about crazy racoons.

red, I hope you had a restful evening after your busy day.

Poirot, good luck shopping tomorrow.

Back