8/20/2023 - Donuts and Excessive Heat

Kat - Glad you were able to walk and use trimmer before heat intensified.

Poor Robin, those temps are scary.

September might be two weeks ago, but I think Summer temps will linger.

Nice day today...84 with lower humidity than we have had lately. But tomorrow up to 90. As they say, will worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Everyone enjoy your day!

1692556612144.jpeg

Good Sunday to all.... it's been a barky day today.... not sure why but he's quiet now so I'm going to try to finish this note.
Yesterday was potato day and I was going to make potato soup but as I was messing around in the house I ran out of steam, so tonight we will have potato soup.

I'm watering the plants and the lawn twice daily in this heat, hope it help Grand Admiral Toad.... he hasn't been seen since the mower on Thursday.

My son in Long Beach has some wind and rain today, my Santa Monica sister has rain so far.... we have a friend in Palm Springs... we are worrying about him.... due to flash flood warnings.... he is hunkered down with supplies so he should be fine....

Hope everyone has a great Sunday...

Robin, I've had potato soup on my mind lately. Maybe you'll inspire me to make it. I haven't made any in decades, I can't even remember when.

Come on, Wilde Woman, I'm the pessimist and you're the optimist, and here I've been telling myself we're going to get a break from this heat after next week. Wishful thinking, I guess. There have been years when it goes all the way through September so I know anything is possible.

Kat, you're like the pony express of the early days. You keep on with what you're working at, no matter what.

I have relatives in Long Beach and Redlands. I had heard the storm would be east of there but from pictures and reports it seems a lot of rain is falling all over out there.

I think I'll take a nap.

Here is the base soup I use. Today's soup has some of the things below.... like potatoes, broth and milk.... I used pre cooked bacon that I keep in the fridge as it's easier and the store I shopped at had the little bags for under a dollar clearance normally 2.98....
Hunny Bunny got the boys home... I avoided the trip.... trapped in a car with sweaty male teens.... after a camp out... no thank you.... all folks doing well in Los Angeles so far.... the earthquake was fun.... they didn't need that.....

Ingredients Potato Soup

• 4 (6-ounce) red potatoes
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup prechopped onion
  • 1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 bacon slices, halved
  • 1.5 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
  • 4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions

How to Make It​

Step 1 Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave on HIGH 13 minutes or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly

Step 2 While potatoes cook, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk; add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; stir often. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.

Step 3 Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Crumble bacon.

Step 4 Discard potato skins. Coarsely mash potatoes into soup. Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.

Hi everyone!

kat, glad you got your trimming done before it got too hot.

Wilde Woman, hope you enjoyed your cooler weather today.

OC, I hope September brings cooler weather too.

robin, how can you eat soup with those temperatures?

I canned more tomatoes today. Got laundry done. Back to work tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a wonderful night!

I don't know... but soup is always a good dinner....

My older sister is okay so far.... he daughter has returned from her birthday weekend early..... My son and family in Long Beach are okay it's hot and raining so weather is not optimal.... they are on the 4th floor so lots of rain has to fall before he becomes worried.... My Sacramento son's are under cloudy skies but that's it... they really aren't expecting anything....

HB's sister in law blamed me on Facebook for the heat.... I said yep, I was missing Phoenix so I asked the weather Gods for some hot weather.... I mean why not.... :)

I’ve got one for you all. Around 3:30am I wake up to hearing a car alarm going off. At first I thought someone hit the wrong button and sort of rolled over. But then like 2 minutes went by. We had some tree branches fall down during a storm a month or so ago, so the next thought in my mind was “is that my car? Did a branch fall on it?”

I check my car’s app and no notifications. Then check the ring camera. Nothing out of the ordinary. But the honking is coming from where my car is parked in the driveway. So I go outside to find a car in the side of the garage! They drove full speed through the next door neighbor’s front yard and hit the corner of the driveway. The rear passenger tail light got clipped on my car. The driver fled the scene and was nowhere to be found when I came out.

My roommate who owns the house was on day 1 of a trip to Mexico and I called just as they got back to the hotel from the club. Had he been home, his bedroom is right above the garage and who knows if having people in there would have caused anything to fall.

The fire chief came by this morning to inspect and said we can’t stay there until a structural engineer gives it the ok. Roomie is on the way back from Mexico and will be doing all the insurance things tomorrow. I’m staying with a friend til we get the ok to come back. Crazy day!

Holy Cow.... that's not what you need the first week of School.......

I hope the house gets a realitivly clean bill of health and you can move back.... maybe the vacation can be salvaged too....

ShaunP, I'm glad you're ok and car didn't get a lot of damage.

robin, I was wondering myself if the hot weather followed you to Kansas.

red, it sounds like you have a lot of veggies to last awhile.

OC, how's your internet?

Good evening everyone. It has been a stressful day here just like for many of you waiting to hear news from relatives in the path of Hilary.

Power was out for most of the day, but so far the sandbags have held at my brother's house in Palm Springs. Any more rain, and it may start coming in the house. There's nothing but rock under the sand so the water can't drain away. It can't even flow away with brick walls enclosing all of the houses in his development.

The newspaper out there posted drone footage of the flooding, and I got to see my brother's house. The roads in his development are all under water.

ShaunP - oh my goodness! How scary for you.
Hopefully the integrity of the house is still good and it can be repaired.

OMG, Robin, seeing Vinnie in action is a treat! He is so adorable! Thank you for posting.

Back