8-24-2016 - Donuts & Peach Pie Day

Noel

Reaction score
NATIONAL PEACH PIE DAY

National Peach Pie Day is observed annually on August 24th. We celebrate this mouth-watering dessert during the heart of the peach harvest season. Don’t forget the à la mode!

The state of Georgia has been known as the center of peach growers.

Georgia is known as the “Peach State”.

Peach harvest occurs between June and August.

Harvest from each peach tree lasts about one week.

There are two main varieties of peaches: Clingstone and Freestone.

A medium peach weighs 2.6 oz.

A medium peach typically contains 30 calories, 7 g of carbohydrate, 1 g of protein, 140 mg of potassium, and 8% of the daily value for Vitamin C.

Good Wednesday Morning.

My brother just left on the airport shuttle to catch his flight to Europe. I am so very excited for him to have this journey in life.

Yesterday evening he helped me dig out all the palm trees in the alley. What a relief! Then we chatted and ate pizza all night. It was so good to have quiet time with him alone.

Now it is time to sing "hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go". Make it a great day my friends.

I saw the title and thought perhaps you made this for your brother.....Pizza is even better. (Hey, I just had toast with peach preserves on it, lol)

It is raining here, began about 4 a.m. All day yesterday, the hummers maybe only took a quarter of the full feeder. Well, they already have nearly emptied it, in less than 2 hrs. LOL

Glad you had a good visit with your brother, Noel. Not often we get a chance to do that.

Have to run into town today, either this a.m. or else this afternoon. Not sure which yet. Have a good one. :)

Good Morning Everyone,

Thunder and rain started by me around 3:30 this morning, and has been raining on and off since.

Gena'a pink eye came back this morning. Not sure if it's from her favorite stuffed animal or what, but Spot the stuffed dalmatian will be getting a bath in the washing machine this evening along with all the pillow cases again. Poor kiddo.

Noel - glad you had a nice visit with your brother

Barb - what silly hummers you have. :)

Have a wonderful day!

Good morning. Noel, it was nice reading the facts about peaches. Not everything grows well in this area but peaches do. Some of the towns have peach festivals earlier in the summer. I'd love to have some peach cobbler. Yum! It was also great hearing about your alone time with your brother. He must be very excited about his trip. How long will he be gone?

Poirot, from last night, I feel for your daughter. I've had family members with the problem of hard-to-access veins. It's awful. I have one good arm and one not so good and just hope the one stays good. I pray Karen's surgery goes smoothly.

Manda, oh no, not a return of the Pink Eye! That stuff is so miserable. Maybe cleaning up the stuffed dog will help. It is hard to track down culprits in health issues.

Yesterday I finally took the husband to the doctor to see about the sore that showed up on the flap that sticks out over the ear. I should have taken him a week ago, when it first happened, but he didn't want to go. Still don't know what caused it. I thought an insect or spider bite, but it looked like a boil (or "risin," as we used to call them). Nasty, for sure. He wouldn't even let me get close to touching it. The doctor wondered about a skin cancer, but the way it showed up suddenly, full-blown, that doesn't seem likely. Anyway, the doctor popped it open and put a bandaid on it, took a culture, and gave a prescription for antibiotic. It hasn't hurt since, so I'm hoping it will just heal up and that will be the end of it. It was hurting him a lot before.

I've been on the go the past two days. Trying to redirect my thoughts to what to do at home today. Sunny skies, will reach 94*.

Just an aside, but once, some years back, was at the oral surgeon's office up in Duluth, they were going to insert an IV with the "put you out" stuff, and were starting on the left arm. Told them, no, that is impossible to get to a vein, showed them the best spot, Voila, it worked fine. Well, the surgeon comes in, gets all upset as he likes to work on the right side, and now this would interfere. So....they put me out, and then evidently attempted to put the IV in the left arm. All I know is, when I awoke, big black and blue mark on left arm, with a band-aid over it. I bit my tongue to avoid saying "I told you so". LOL. Yes, they had to leave it in the right arm, and the surgeon had to work from the other side. And yes, I was perturbed. Annoys me when medical people think you don't know what you are talking about. My poor daughter went thru misery as they stuck here, there and everywhere.

Morning all, storming here today, lots of rain.

Barb, my hummers are putting on a show here in the evenings for hubby and me on the deck. They seem to be more active when we come out.

Just checked my peach tree yesterday, not ready yet, but loaded!!! Cannot wait!

It's the 1st day of school here today. All the kids at the bus stop look so cute.

Cannot wait for today's episode, and see what Belle is going to say and do to Jen. A little blackmail?

Enjoy the day all.

Hello everyone. Folks around here want Chilton County peaches. It's a big thing, lol.

Prayers for your daughter, Poirot.

There hasn't been any real drama around here lately until yesterday. I had been online reading and posting some on this board and had to take Remmy outside. We were only out there for about 5 minutes, since it was hot. Remmy went ahead of me when we came in and started barking ferociously at something under the computer desk where I was just sitting.

I imagine you can guess what came out, lol. Sneaky Snake is growing up, too. He ran along the baseboard, fully stretched out and was over 5 feet long (I measured later where I had seen him head to tail). Sneaky (as my mother calls him) headed toward the front door, thankfully. I opened the door, but he didn't go through the wide opening, he went through the crack the door makes when the hinges are open, lol.

I must say, I don't like being surprised by Sneaky, though I haven't had to put out any mouse traps lately! Where does a snake that large hide in my house? Will he come back in or is he getting too big to fit through the cracks he found? I hate to say, but I have almost come to like Sneaky in some ways, lol.

Take care and stay safe.

Morning all. When I went to the cabin this past month, a lady was selling local peaches in a road side stand. I bought a big box for $5. Nice tree ripened peaches, freestone too. I gorged on peaches. By the end of my time, I had 3 peaches I had to give to the deer as I couldn't get to them before they became over ripe. They were yummy. She wasn't opened on my trip home or I'd have purchased another box.

Nice to know Sneaky has a way in and out of the house, creepy as that is.

Sorry to hear about pink eye return. That is nasty stuff.

Have a great Wednesday.

Summertime is back in my area. It's sunny and in the 90s today. I was at the
school library almost two hours today. All the newest books are labeled and on
the shelves.

I have tiny veins too. The last time someone took blood they took it from the
top of my hand.

manda, sorry to hear about Gena. I hope you find out what's causing it.

kt, I hope Sneaky snake stays away, but he was useful since he ate mice.
Did you look up to see what kind of snake it was?

Noel, I'm glad you had a nice visit with your brother. I hope he has a nice trip.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day.

Poirot, that dentist's shenanigan makes me mad, just hearing about it long after the fact!

Robin, I'm glad you didn't get a stomach ache from eating all those delicious peaches! :)

Trop, you even have a peach tree? You work so hard all the time and have so much to show for it. Enjoy the peaches!

Kt, odd as your feelings for Sneaky may be, I honestly can say I understand them....so long as he isn't the poison kind. (Not saying I want one in my house though). Did you ever figure out what kind it is? It must be a slender one, if it is five feet long and can get through the opening crack in the door. We have coachwhips that are long and not too big around.

kt - I would have totally freaked out if I saw a snake that big in my house, I've got the heeby jeebies just thinking about it.

Sorry to hear about your daughter having issues Poirot. I too only really have one good accessible vein. Mine aren't small, just deep and hard to find. No one ever wants to use the easy-to-find one, though, as it on the outside of my arm. So I get poked and prodded for a good long while before they decide I'm right and use the one I told them about from the beginning.

kat - I think it would be so fun to work in a library. I just love the smell of books.

POIROT: My Dad's side of the family, including me, have rolling veins. Even a butterfly needle is not a guarantee of a good stick. It is frustrating at times isn't it? Praying for Karen's surgery.

MANDA: so sorry to hear Gena's pink eye has reappeared. Sadly, that is somewhat a normal pattern until the original source is cleared. Good job cleaning her favorite things.

OC: glad to hear your hubby's on antibiotics while the lab discerns the cause of this flap. Take time for you too!

TP: oh yum, your peaches will bring great desserts to your table!

KT: Thank goodness Sneaky is not a rattler! Let's hope the snake begins to like catching the mice/critters outside!I

ROBIN: why not share the peaches?! Too bad you couldn't bring a box home as the ones in the market here are never ripe.

KAT: enjoy your last summertime weeks.

Thanks for all the good wishes for my brother. Take care everyone.

Good evening all,

A sunny dry day today with a high in the upper 80sF. Tonight is supposed to be low 60sF. I woke up this morning early for personal training and it was chilly outside. Not looking forward to cold weather, though we're supposed to get another heat wave, so it's probably a while before it does cool down. They also say our fall will be warmer than usual, like last year. Sounds good to me.

My brother (the 7 year-old one) has oral surgery tomorrow. One of his adult teeth hasn't ruptured even though the baby tooth fell out months ago. They're going to bring it up in the surgery--at least that's my understanding of the operation.

Noel, I'd take those palm trees you ripped up if they grew out here. That's something I dearly miss about San Diego and New Orleans.

Manda, I hope your daughter gets better soon. Pink eye isn't fun--I had it back in '07. Awful!

Poirot, sorry to hear about your daughter's troubles. I hope the surgery goes well. Once when I was a kid and had to get some kind of IV for something, they kept poking and prodding my because they couldn't find the right vain. I was upset and my mom started yelling at the nurses--eventually they just brought the doctor in to do it properly.

Have a nice day, everyone.

To answer some of your questions, I have not fully decided what kind of snake Sneaky is. IF it's the same snake I saw the first two times (and I sure hope so), I'm leaning toward black rat snake because it is growing fast and getting darker with age. Sneaky is probably about as big around as the circle I make with the tips of my thumb and forefinger when I do the OK sign, but he looks pretty fat and sassy when we are up close and personal, lol.

Sneaky has never been aggressive, even with Remmy barking and snarling at him. I do have nightmares about snakes pretty often now, JS. I also read rat snakes are excellent climbers and like to hang out in trees, rafters, etc. Now I'm going to have to start looking up as well as down wherever I go, lol.

Heya Everybody! :) I hope that everyone is having a fantastic day. Today has been an okay but busy day. Today I went to work, came home and had dinner. I had some chicken, rice and green and yellow beans. It was pretty good. After dinner I did some chores around the house and right now I am relaxing for the evening and watching Big Brother.

The weather today was beautiful as it was sunny and hot. Right now it is partly cloudy and 78 F, a really nice summer evening here. I am really going to miss the pleasant summer evenings when summer is done. :cry:

KT: Just reading about the snake in your house gave me the chills, I do not know how you sleep. I would definitely sleep with one eye open and my dog close. :rotfl:

Noel: I am so happy that you got to spend some time with your brother. I hope that you two get to see each other again soon.

Manda: I hope that your daughter feels better soon. Eye drops are never fun for the person that gives them and the person that receives them.

I really hope that all of you have a wonderful Wednesday evening. Much happiness to each one of you.

Degrassi, I feel for your little brother. When I was a kid I had to have a baby tooth (extra long roots) removed and the permanent tooth brought down. X-rays found it in the roof of my mouth because the baby tooth wouldn't let it get down into the proper position. They cut a chunk out of the roof of my mouth to let the permanent tooth through, then put wires on it to move it down into place (same principle as braces). I hope your brother's deal isn't that involved.

Kt, the hardest part of your snake situation for me would be sleeping. But you have an advantage in that Remmy probably sleeps near you and would surely let you know if something like a snake were to get on the bed. Be safe, my friend.

Back