9/14/16 - Donuts & Hot Cereal

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A very "brisk" good morning to you all.......50° outside, fog lifting up off the lake, and radio saying it is 36° in town. Yesterday we only were 62, & overcast, today they say 63, but the sun IS out there. Brrrr. Doesn't stop fishermen though. I think the temp will rise quickly, but definitely Fall is in the air.

Our WalMart went to self serve checking , tho there still is one line for 20 or less at the far end. Have not used them yet, but the supermarket has had them for quite some time. Only 4 there, I have used them, don't like them, mostly because of the auto robot voice. Please put your item in the bag, please check your next item.......over and over, as you search the item for the bar code. LOL. I only use one if there are lines, I have less than 6 items, and pay with a charge card. The supermarket has chains across empty cashier aisles, but Wal Mart doesn't have anything . However, they have someone standing out in the area where you leave, the electric carts are in this area, the big container for returning excess plastic bags, plus where carts are brought in from outside, with the person sometimes drying off the handle and child seat area if wet. THAT person keeps an eye on those leaving to be sure all is ......well, paid for. Heck, cameras all over the stores now, even in very small stores. I do think all the stores have a monitor room where someone sits observing those monitors. LOL

Enjoy your day, and if it is warm........yayyyy. LOL

Large buck in my front yard flower garden this morning. When I opened the front door, he scooted to the end of the walkway and then turned and faced me. I walked down the path toward him and kept telling him to leave. He just stood there looking at me, and seemed to be daring me to come closer. I opted to come back into the house! I went out again a little later. Couldn't see him [it is still dark] but could hear him crashing around in my veggie garden! sigh!

Good morning all. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Morning all, and yes, we still have warmth here in the desert. But for the rest of this week we are not supposed to top 100, although, it's going to be one of those "I'll believe it when it happens" deals. Then again, it was very nice outside this morning. Only 75 at 6am. Yippee.

OH, JS, you cheating girl. Shame shame. :)

I have no fancy wildlife to report other than quail and hummingbirds. Doves, sparrows and boat tail grackles. The doves, sparrows and grackles all love the quail block that I've put out. The quail aren't pushy so they wait till the every annoying grackles leave. And we have one collared dove who is very bossy. Chases everyone away. Not nearly as exciting as deer in the garden.

Happy Wednesday.

Robin, I looked in Tractor Supply the other day for quail blocks. Didn't see anything like that. I am envious that you are able to lure the quail into your view. We get the smaller grackles here but not the boat tail ones. A year or so ago I had a collared dove showing up for the first time. Haven't seen any since then. Just mourning doves.

J.S. :rotfl:a vegan dog!

JS - hilarious how dogs will get their nose bent when you give attention to someone else's dog! Our dog would eat anything. Loved cantaloupe but would not eat popcorn.

My friend from Alabama is flying home today. I will miss her but I'm exhausted from staying up way too late and our whole routine being off. We enjoyed the time but a week an a half is too long!

It was 46 when I got up, but supposed to get up to 80! The chill in the air in the mornings sure lets us know winter is around the corner.

Have a great day

Good afternoon everyone,

It's dry and sunny here but 90F. Luckily we start getting breezy in September, so it isn't too bad. One of my classes today was cancelled because my teacher's father died. I sent her a condolence email. So after Spanish, I got lunch and then met with a group partner for the cancelled class for work.

I now am in the library on a long break, studying for the bio test tonight. Have barely been able to sleep these past few nights because of the work, and when I get home, I still have reading to do for a class. Yipee--not! I just want to crawl in bed, lol.

Hope all of you are enjoying your day.

Quick note.....forgot to mention......hummers are gone now. I took the feeder down Monday, after it took nearly 4 days for it to empty. I think one came to check on Tuesday a.m. but none. I know up here they say to not keep them up after Labor Day....weather changes so rapaidly, some would get caught if they hung around too long.

The deer are beginning to get anxious to begin their families, but it will still take a big longer. Meanwhile, one has to be on the lookout, as they really just love to come out suddenly to run across the road.

I put my thoughts on self checkout in the previous thread. To sum it up, they get a yes from me. I find the lines move faster.

I love Amazon. The electric lawn equipment that I purchased before the summer, the batteries would say charged but not run the equipment after it was used for a few minutes. The return time had expired by one month on my purchases but Amazon still returned the products so I could order replacements.

My neighbor wants to use my truck to help her move some stuff to the town. She is moving to about an hour away. I do not want to help but I could not come up with a good excuse to not be home because I have to be home for some medicine tomorrow and did not think things through when I told her that, as she will see the UPS truck come and go.

I mean if it was a weekend and there was going to be help, because I am not able to do physical labor without causing myself pain and injury and maybe a mention of gas money would have been nice. Whatever, we will see, maybe I will just do it anyways. I will negotiate gas money though.

Good day to you all.

I haven't seen a hummer in a week. Took one feeder down. Will take the other down as soon as I get to it. The nectar level hasn't gone down in days. I'm finished.

Kat, if I tried to work at organizing mammal books, I would get distracted and start looking at pictures instead of organizing. I hope you get rain. I wouldn't mind a break from it and we haven't had anything like many have had. We had about 0.7" last night.

@YPG........I agree with JS. I would guess you would not mind driving her to her new location, but you are unable to help lift/move boxes & furniture. If she doesn't have some additional "muscle" it's a definite no go.

OC, I see so many books at the school library I want to read. I've checked out a few at
the public library.

Thunder in the distance now. The map shows rain coming. I hope so.

Folks, your hummers must be cutting through my neighborhood on their way south. I had one buzz me today while I was outside with Remmy. I found the feeder covered with ants, so replenished it for them. Fall is coming, though. Some leaves have been falling for a few weeks and it's picking up speed, mostly from the pecan tree in my front yard.

KT...with the feeder in the house, spray the area where it hangs with Ant killer. I did that on the hanger, and the house....and this year, was not bothered with them. Usually that happens, especially if you spill any on the ground when hanging up the feeder. You can then hang the feeder back up and hope the hummers empty it before the stuff wears off or rain washes it away. LOL

Been wearing a short sleeved turtle neck, with a long sleeved sweater over it, all day. Yep, it is fall here, tho not many leaves have turned, but when they do, it will be fast.

Poirot, I never use self check at the store. I wouldn't have the patience to do so.
My daddy would never allow me to use the self check outs. He said by using them we are taking a job away from a person. I guess he was right if the Walmart is now using only them. I miss my daddy.

Hi all, l've been doing pretty good. Just got my internet back (couldn't afford it for awhile). I hope all is doing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back