9/2/16 - Donuts & Scrambled Eggs

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning all....the sun in shining, we cooled off with quite the breeze yesterday, never even reached 70. However, at 7 a.m. it was 60 here, so am thinking we will get up there (in the 70s) today.

My mom's birthday today, and even tho she has been gone many years, I still wish her love and a happy day.

So much to do today, plus, I am supposed to have the new stove delivered and installed. Made a huge mistake as I did not want a white one, and thought I was ordering the stainless steel which has a lot of black trim. But just realized yesterday, I ordered black. Will not be all that happy with that, am sure. But too late now. It will just be good to have an oven again.

Made a huge pot of chicken soup yesterday, so we have several containers in the freezer now.

My son with the dogs is coming today, hope he is feeling o.k., he had a setback a couple weeks ago with his recovery of his diverticulitis episode. Have also the lst of month bookwork, so will be in and out of here today.

Imagine Noel is on her way up north or soon will be, while Jason D. & Muzza are off for their long weekend plans.

Woke up at 4:15 a.m., went to the bathroom, could swear I just laid awake tossing and turning, but suddenly I saw sunshine, and egads, it was 6:45! LOL. Take care all, have a good day.

Good morning,

Poirot, I hope your soon is feeling better. Enjoy your visit.

Yesterday was only 80F, and a bit dizzy. Sun is back out today, but we're also only supposed to hit low 80sF. Nights are cooling off again. They say that tropical storm may come up here over the weekend, when I'm supposed to be at the beach. And there's strong rip current. Perfect time, huh?

I just have Spanish class this morning, and then school's done for the week. SO looking forward to this long weekend--in my opinion, school should've been delayed till after Labor Day, especially if they weren't even gonna start on a Monday this year.

Have a nice day, y'all.

Good Morning,

Very cool this morning I think the temperature when I woke up was only 49*. Even though I know it's not officially here yet, I really love fall!

Gena declared yesterday that she would like to go back to kindergarten forever, as all she can do in 1st grade is work, they get no play time at all. Which gave me a good chuckle.

Barb - I have a black stove and love it, hope you learn to like it, and I'm so glad you'll have an oven again soon.

DaysD - enjoy your long weekend at the beach, even if you can't go in the water. :)

Good morning everyone!

Only in the 70s here but with 90% humidity again. Gotta love that pre-tropical storm air.

Poirot, I hope your son is doing better. Maybe some of that homemade chicken soup will do the trick.

Daysd, your lucky you have Labor Day off at school. When I was in college we went to class on Labor Day. And I just checked and yep they still have classes on Monday. I guess it was their way of preparing us for the real world. I only get holidays off now by luck or if I ask. I'm off Labor Day this year because I'm going to Busch Gardens. My fiancé's dad has free tickets because that's where his company is having their annual employee picnic. We get free lunch too. But we will probably pass on it because if it's like what we got when my mom used to have company picnic's there then it's not the greatest food. I don't mind paying for the overpriced park food if everything else is free.

manda, poor Gena. Growing up it hard.

Have a wonderful day everyone and safe travels to those going out of town for the holiday weekend!

Poirot good luck getting your new oven and installed! I also have a black flat top with stainless steel door. I thought I would hate the black top but I really like it. Enjoy having your son, hope he feels better.

DaysD - I'm with you - why start school before Labor day? Some districts did that here and now they will be off Monday & Tuesday (Teachers Day)?

Amanda - Poor Gena - LOL! If they only knew what lies ahead.

Iamred - enjoy the Busch Gardens - sounds fun.

Raining and cold here, Noel would love it. It's supposed to get a little better tomorrow but not much. No boating this weekend.

Have a great Friday

Don't schools still have "recess"? Plus maybe some extra time during "lunch"?

I do get a kick out of kids......I remember my oldest coming home from first day of first grade, mad as can be, because "I did not learn how to read". LOL

(The 1st grade teacher there warned all parents NOT to try and teach their kids at home because most did not get it right. Same with writing (printing) their names. Now mine knew how, and yes, Sesame St. was on every day in our house, but boy, that teacher was adamant. Well, she only taught 1st grade for 40 years at the time, lol, so, I guess she felt she knew what she was talking about. :) (After she retired, the school district named one of the schools after her)

We are on the road for several hours now and the mountains are very close. I cannot read the site but hope my post shows. We are singing Christmas carols as we travel and looking forward to caramel covered apples in a small town ahead. Blessings to you all!

Good morning. Was 70* with 100% humidity when I got up. Will get hot with chance of thunderstorm later.

Poirot, I don't give medical advice, since most things don't ever work for me anyway, but I'll throw this out as a "for whatever it's worth" thing. The eye doctor has me taking flax seed oil for my dry eye problems. So last week I was in with my primary doctor for a checkup. When I told him I was taking the flax seed oil for my eyes, he said maybe it would help some with the cholesterol too. (Mine's not extremely high but not good either, and I won't take statin drugs and can't eat a lot of the foods that would be helpful). Then he went on to comment on how the flax seed oil seems to help with other things too. He said he had a male patient whose diverticulitis was cured by taking flax seed oil. My doctor is not into natural remedies at all but he does often relate to me some experiences of other patients because he knows the problems I have with foods and medications, etc.

Another little story here. Yesterday I went into Subway for some sandwiches to bring home for our lunch. I went well after the lunch hour rush because lately this small location has been very busy with a long line at lunchtime. The young lady came out from the back to wait on me. She was quiet but with some effort I managed to strike up something of a conversation with her. She told me there had been a line of people in there all day, up until that point. I mentioned that I'd quit coming in at noon because of how busy it had been. She then explained that they had a number scale. If the level of customers was below a certain number, some of the employees would be sent home, but theirs had been way above the level lately.

So I said, "Well, at least you don't have to worry about job security." Silence. I thought maybe she didn't hear me, so I repeated it. Again, she paused, then finally asked, "What do you mean?" I explained that as long as they have plenty of customers coming in, she won't have to worry about losing her job. She said, "Oh, I didn't know what that meant." I was a bit taken aback. I come from a background of uncomplicated and unsophisticated language/vocabulary but it had never occurred to me that the term, "job security" would be hard for anyone to understand. I don't know the age of this person but she was old enough to be out of school, since it was during hours when school was in session. (I know there are school work programs, but I expect she was old enough to have graduated). It was a minor thing but it was on my mind all afternoon. I couldn't help but wonder if all the cell phone texting and tweeting, requiring everyone to limit their words and the number of characters and such is taking a toll on the ability of young people to carry on a simple conversation.

Wishing all of you a pleasant holiday weekend!

To tell the truth, I have no idea what they are teaching schools now, or HOW they are teaching. Just saw a clip.....reporter was at a college, asking students simple history questions, like "who won the Civil War". Some had no idea what she was talking about. One or two asked if she meant VietNam. Not one knew the name of the Vice President, one said John somebody. They all were saying I don't know, don't have the slightest idea, etc. to the questions.

But, when she asked who was married to Brad Pitt, who was his former wife, who sang such and such a song.....all current entertainment people questions, every single one had the correct answer.

Morning all.

Noel is missing another warm day by escaping to the hills. I hate her (said in my best Sami Brady Roberts DiMera voice)

Busy morning. Stepmother called. She is moving and wants to know what I think about it. Ahhh, you've signed the lease already, so my feelings don't matter now. "But how much work from me does this entail???" is what was going in the back of my mind. She was upset no one called her on my dad's birthday. When I told my siblings, they all said they thought about it but opted not to. One even said she should have called us to see how we were doing on OUR dad's birthday. LOL.

When I worked in the schools, we were to teach to the test. If it wasn't on the test, we didn't teach it. It is very stupid. And students aren't taught to THINK. There are no more "what do you think?" type questions. Current events are not discussed because there isn't time. In California, teacher job security and pay raises are tied to the student's test scores. Because apparently these days, it's just the TEACHERS' responsibility to teach students. Parents just have to drop off the kids and pick them up. No other input is needed. What a crock.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

We're under a Tropical Storm Warning now. I really don't want to go to work now. First Friday of the month, last Friday before school begins, start of a holiday weekend, and now a weather event. Plus we have a warehouse truck that contains Christmas toys. Is it too late for a sick day?

JS, I've told robin before that she treats her stepmother better than the woman's own children do.

This teach to test method is beyond stupid. We're creating a generation of people who struggle to problem solve and don't have a clue about what's going on in the world.

Another cool morning here. I had my yearly squeeze test today. What fun...NOT.

I got to Best Buy, but for some reason the clerks decided since I was the first
one in the department, I would be last one picked. I felt rushed when it finally
became my turn because more people waiting. The clerk helped me pick out a
laptop
. I sent my son an email to see if it is a good laptop. Laptop and Microsoft Office
on sale until tomorrow.

Poirot, enjoy your new oven. I'll continue to say prayers for your son.

manda, I'm glad Gena enjoyed her first day of school.

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend of fun.

Last edited:
Don't schools still have "recess"? Plus maybe some extra time during "lunch"?
Yes, Poirot, she most definitely does have recess, twice a day plus a little free time after lunch. However in Kindergarten they had "rug time" in which the students would rotate between an art project, reading time, and play time on the rug; this is the part she misses. She'll adjust. I warned her before the year started that there would be less play time and more work/study time. :)

Red - stay safe in the scary weather.

Robin - God bless you for still taking care of you stepmom. I don't talk to mine now, and don't foresee that changing ever. Of course because of her, I don't speak to my dad either. I learn about his life happenings through my sisters and my aunts & uncles.

OC - I bet you were dealing with a high school student at Subway (or someone just out of high school). They don't have the foggiest idea what job security is.

I would die without an oven though I know ten years ago I never cooked at all.

These schools here teach a lot. My daughters inform me of various facts all of the time. I am amazed that they are learning so much compared to my own schooling but I am glad that they are getting a great education.

I got lucky living in the attorney's house because it was in the best school district.

Rain, rain, go away.

My oldest has decided to drive from the coast to home for the weekend. She is going to be driving right through the storm. This will be her first time driving in weather like this but she wants to come home for the holiday.

Hope this storm passes quickly and good day to you all.

JS, I have no idea why her children aren't helping. During the entire time my dad was in the hospital and then rehab and such, before the trip to hospice, her youngest son never called. He did call the day before my dad passed to tell her he was flying to Seattle to take a bike ride to Boston and after he finished the ride (it would take about 30 days), he'd see if he could arrange a trip to come see dad. Needless to say, he missed that opportunity.

It is a mystery, but I am stepping back. I have no idea what is going on with her kids, or grandkids. Her son is picking her up Sunday and taking her to her great-grandson's birthday. So there is some contact. I just get the icky stuff. As I back away, I'm hoping her family will step up.

OC - I have had young adults (19-25) wait on me and not be able to count out the change back. If the register doesn't tell them, they can't do it. My daughter is assistant teaching at Eastern Washington University history classes, and last year the professor talked and taught for the first week. And throughout a quiz, she had to correct the papers. Not one question was answered correctly. She talked to the professor and he said flunk them all. This was the first year he was cleared to just pass them through and she did. Sad.

Hello everyone. I like educating the kids a bit. Some are curious and awed by history. Hopefully others will catch on as they get older. There are too many distractions for them these days.

No drama here today, lol. There was the Treat Wagon and I took Sparky outside for a little while. It was cloudy, so he didn't get too hot.

Take care and stay safe.

DaysD - enjoy your long weekend at the beach, even if you can't go in the water. :)
I may go in anyway!:rotfl: I just LOVE the ocean. At least I'll put my feet in haha.
To tell the truth, I have no idea what they are teaching schools now, or HOW they are teaching. Just saw a clip.....reporter was at a college, asking students simple history questions, like "who won the Civil War". Some had no idea what she was talking about. One or two asked if she meant VietNam. Not one knew the name of the Vice President, one said John somebody. They all were saying I don't know, don't have the slightest idea, etc. to the questions.

But, when she asked who was married to Brad Pitt, who was his former wife, who sang such and such a song.....all current entertainment people questions, every single one had the correct answer.
You're absolutely right. A teacher last semester told us that in another of her classes, one girl didn't know what the Holocaust was. I was actually shocked. A number of students at colleges can't locate certain countries on maps, either, or tell the oceans apart. How the heck do they get in!? Then again, a number of the teachers nowadays even can't spell certain things right.

@Daysdg.......I went to high school with a really nice guy, lost touch for years, tho saw him at a couple class reunions. Well, it turned out he lived in Wisconsin now, and I found out that he & his wife used to go to schools to put on presentations about the Holocaust. Seems he lost grandparents & other family there, as did his wife, and got very upset when they were hearing how young people had no idea what it was, what happened, how the people were killed, etc. They did this for years, mostly in the southern part of the state. After his wife died, he began limiting his presentations, once wanted to come up here when our school was studying it, but it was a 5 hr drive up, then 5 hr. back, and if he stayed in a motel, it would be too expensive with his asst. (2 rooms). Anyway, I was astounded that so many schools evidently did not study anything about it.

So.......isn't U.S. history, World history mandatory any more? Heck, I had to take language, Biology, Algebra, Geometry, Physics, Civics, even Ancient History. Art & Music classes....gosh, it was quite a variety when I think about it, but While I wasn't all that fond of some classes, am sure glad I took them. Doesn't college have mandatory as well? I remember having to learn all the president's names, and then there is geography. and not just U.S. I remember learning all the Canadian provinces, European countries, the continents, etc.

(and just think, Jay Leno once, in man on the street segment, asked how many stars on the American flag, and yep, there were those who did not know.

Apparently they either don't teach those things now or else young people have found a way to get through school without learning it. There are some people I watch now, who do what Jay Leno did out on the streets, sometimes even on college campuses. It is shocking how much young people don't know. Many think Abraham Lincoln was our first president. They know President Obama but pretty much nobody else in government, present or past, other than Lincoln and Obama. But yes, as you said before, every single one of them can answer any question about reality tv shows and celebrities, without hesitation!

Back