9/26/21 - Donuts and Bull Search

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
Good morning. I'm about to be off to feed my cows and make an attempt to get my bull home. My niece's grandson is here and will be going home today so we're trying to get some things done while we have his help. It's sunny, in the 60s*, will get to 93*. After tomorrow temperatures will go down and rain chances will arrive.

Wishing everyone a good Sunday.

Good morning everyone. A beautiful crisp fall morning here with temps to go up to the low 70s.

Well, it is official. Stores here are all back to limiting one to a customer for all paper products and cleaning supplies. The meat counters are almost bare here, too. I was able to buy boneless pork chops and an eye of round roast ( the last one) yesterday at the little Italian store, but the prices were high.

The pork chops are now in the crockpot with potatoes and barbecue sauce. I cut the roast in 3. Two of the pieces were vacuum sealed this morning, and are now in my freezer (half as tall as a refrigerator, but has a front door like one...easier for me than a chest freezer). The last piece was cut into small pieces then packaged in small freezer bags so they're ready when I want to make soup or use them in spaghetti sauce.

Stand fans are put away. I just left a small tower fan out in case we get a warm day. Now to hang the rest of my thermal drapes that I never did the other day. Once the Steelers game comes on, nothing will get done here. Can you tell I'm trying to avoid dusting? I hate dusting and washing windows.

OC, it sounds like you have a big job to do today. Anything I do is small potatoes in comparison. Plus I could put things off, but your animals, feeding, watering, fences, gates, etc have to be taken care no matter what else is happening.
Definitely have to take advantage of the young man's help while he's there. Is he planning on a future in ranching?

Hello, all. Well, between yesterday & today, so far, quite a time. Hubby fell in his room, while using the walker, wedged at foot of bed, between dresser & bed. No idea what he was trying to do. Unable to get up himself, called 911, they took him to hospital, I got a call later, he broke the other hip, was being sent up to hosp. in duluth. This a.m. surgeon called, surgery is needed, hubby doesn't want it, but no idea right now what happens next. He always wants to come home, but since he cannot walk, cannot do rehab, etc. he would be confined to bed, and require more care than he'd be able to get at home. Then I just got call from hospice, as they want to help however they can.....but won't know any more from Duluth hosp. til tomorrow.
Sigghhh. Missed church with it all this a.m.
Take care everyone. Sun is out, about 60, tho we are to get to 70 they say. Chance of rain. But by Wed. they even say 80. Then a big cool down. Got to go now. God Bless.

Last edited:
Another pretty fall day. It's going to be in the 80s today.

I worked outside again before Sunday school class. Then outside again between Sunday
school class and church time.

Poirot, sorry to hear about your husband. I hope you're hear something soon and things work
out for you and him.

rs, I use my vacuum most of the time when I have to dust. Enjoy the game.

OC, I hope you get all the farm work done today with the help of your niece's grandson.

I hope everyone will have a restful, relaxing afternoon.

Good Day....
I need to dust..... but not yet..... It's raining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! currently colder inside the house than outside...... but then I still have the A/C running..... So now getting HB to the storage unit will be a challenge now...... cause it's raining.....

Poirot I hope you get some answers soon and the answers work for your family........
OC good luck wrangling the bull.....
rs when I went to the store yesterday our meat department was light I just thought it was late Saturday afternoon, but it could have been limited supplies..... I picked up some brats and a pork loin...... hope this is just a one off for everyone....

Good Sunday afternoon to all....

Robin, yea, rain for you! I hope you get enough to make a difference. It's disappointing, when rain is rare, to just get barely a sprinkle. On the other hand, I know your area easily floods when it comes too much and too fast.

Kat, are you doing at-home church and Sunday school? Pretty fall days are nice. Do you get a lot of colorful leaves?

Poirot, I'm so sorry for your husband. It's got to be miserable for him to keep having falls and broken bones or other things that chip away at him. I feel bad for you too because you keep getting jerked around, not knowing from one day to the next what your situation is going to be. It seems it might be less stressful for you when he's in the hospital except for knowing he wants so much to be at home, and also you having to deal with a lot of phone calls, arrangements, etc. Wishing both of you peace in these unsettling days.

Squirrel, I didn't know about the shortages but I'm not surprised. I heard a few days ago that there were ships offshore somewhere that couldn't be unloaded. I'm not sure why. I think there was nobody to unload them--for whatever reasons. I've been trying to keep somewhat ahead on paper products and some other things, since last year. Just hope this doesn't go on for very long. Enjoy your ballgame and the pleasant weather!

My strategy for getting the bull home came so close to working but fell short. We drove along on my side of the fence, sounding the siren. The bull cautiously came up to the fence, following along on the other side. In order to get to a gate that could let him through to my side, he needed to get through the neighbor's gate, which separates his pasture from his field. So my g-g nephew crawled through the barbed wire fence and opened the wire gate and let the bull through, while I was down at my pens opening a heavy pipe gate to allow the bull to get back into my property. (This pipe gate hadn't been opened in maybe 50 years, until last evening my niece and her grandson went down there and cleared some fallen trees that had it blocked. I had removed one the day before but there were others that were still attached to the ground and needed a chainsaw to get them loose).

So the bull came almost all the way to the opened pipe gate but instead of turning left and going through it, he turned right and kept lumbering along in the opposite direction! Until he was out of sight. (We were in a flurry with all the other cows and didn't realize he'd gone the wrong direction until he was too far to try to get him back). Meanwhile, my niece had driven through another gate with the cube cart in tow, to get all the other beasts shut out so they wouldn't go into the neighbor's field but a few of the calves hung back and one went into the field and was taking the same path as the bull but I managed to go in there on foot and get it back. The other calves had gone in a different direction in my pasture, but separated from their mamas by a fence. My niece went on foot and got them back on track. It's pretty frustrating how cattle will keep going on the wrong side of a fence, to keep up with the rest of the herd, instead of turning back and getting on the correct side of the fence. I keep thinking they must be smarter than chickens but sometimes they don't act like it! (Her grandson was back at my house by then, doing some other things for me).

Another attempt will be made with the bull on another day. My g-g nephew may or may not settle on ranch life. It would be a huge blessing if he decides to go in that direction, since nobody else in the family seems to have an interest. But he has a lot of potential to do just about anything he chooses, since he is such a hard worker, and is only 17 and has already had more work experience than a lot of people much older. So many possibilities.

OC, Sunday school class is on Zoom still. We're starting earlier so some of the members can go to church.
I'm watchin church at home. Some of the trees in my subdivision are turning colors. Sorry you didn't
get your bull today.

I heard a few days ago that there were ships offshore somewhere that couldn't be unloaded. I'm not sure why. I think there was nobody to unload them--for whatever reasons.
In Long Beach where there is a huge port it's a lack of truck drivers that is keeping the ships out at sea..... or so I was told last weekend.... there are Lots of ships out there....

Poirot: I am so sorry about your husband. I have been in that situation and the "pull and tug" in all directions is horrible! So many decisions. The worst is being separated, whether in the hospital or a facility, especially with COVID restrictions. As difficult as it was, I was so thankful we brought him home on hospice. We knew his suffering would not be long. His bed was in our family room where all the action was. The kitchen was right next to it. He kept telling me he was so glad we brought him home. Of course, he didn't have a broken hip. My prayers are with you always as you go through this difficult time. I would be glad to talk with you personally if that would help. Just let me know. May God and His angels surround you with love, support, and strength.

Back