9/5/22 - Donuts & Labor Day!

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Happy Labor Day!!! Officially it is not fall, but sure feels like it. 45 during the night, barely starting to get light at 6 a.m. LOL. Sun not rising til nearly 7:30. (The heck with daylight savings time, lol). and losing the sun/light much earlier. Every day, we lose 2 or 3 minutes of light. Sigghhhh. But despite cooler temps, we will be back in 80s by Wed. LOL
Saw the remodeling so far at my old home yesterday, and it is vastly different. They have moved the kitchen from the south side to the north, and took 2 bedrooms from north side, making one very large bedroom to the south. But smartly put huge windows facing the lake in the rooms, so the view if fabulous. However they really gutted the entire inside, wall between the rooms still not up. They bought all new appliances, not yet hooked up, it's been going on for 2 years now, and is still not done. ! They made a laundry room upstairs with a one piece washer dryer, which is smart, I hated having to constantly go up and down, lol. And a fireplace. They had cut down this old oak tree that had been leaning over the roof for umpteen years, and pretty neat, made a huge mantle for fireplace from some of the wood. They removed all the stone and brick from outside, and closed up one of the doors. Well, it was interesting. LOL. Definitely nothing at all like my house, except they kept the lake view.
Lots to do today........hope all enjoy the day off, if you get it/.

76 sticky degrees in NY...77% humidity...will it ever end?

Just upgraded to Peacock Premium for the $1.99 deal and started watching Bates Motel, starring Freddie Highmore from The Good Doctor. So far, so good.

Poirot - Lucky you with cooler temps. The remodeling sounds very interesting, the best of luck with its progress.

1662386674266.png

Saw the remodeling so far at my old home yesterday, and it is vastly different. They have moved the kitchen from the south side to the north, and took 2 bedrooms from north side, making one very large bedroom to the south. But smartly put huge windows facing the lake in the rooms, so the view if fabulous. However they really gutted the entire inside, wall between the rooms still not up. They bought all new appliances, not yet hooked up, it's been going on for 2 years now, and is still not done. ! They made a laundry room upstairs with a one piece washer dryer, which is smart, I hated having to constantly go up and down, lol. And a fireplace. They had cut down this old oak tree that had been leaning over the roof for umpteen years, and pretty neat, made a huge mantle for fireplace from some of the wood. They removed all the stone and brick from outside, and closed up one of the doors. Well, it was interesting. LOL. Definitely nothing at all like my house, except they kept the lake view.
Sounds like it would have been cheaper to tear down and rebuild!

It's partly cloudy here with a chance of rain later.

A busy morning for me. I did several things outside. I was hoping to work in the flowerbed longer, but the
sun came out. I was outside over two hours. I'll be in the rest of day.

Poirot, I can't believe how much they have done to the house and it's still not done.

I hope everyone is enjoying their time off.

Hello. I see that I started a comment yesterday but must have gotten distracted and never finished. I had a good weekend with my daughter and son-in-law. They brought some BBQ and fixings when they came on Saturday. Then we went to a cafe and ate after church yesterday before they headed home. No rain here but they ran into storms on the way back to Dallas, and then found their neighborhood with big trees down and blocking the street, and no electricity. They didn't lose any trees this time but they have in the past.

Good Labor day to all.....
Yesterday my son texted me a picture of the thermometer in his house, 106° at noon. He lives in site of the ocean in Long Beach!!!!! His apartment is one of the very few in the area that has an Air Conditioning...... He said they have a strict rule going on for Sunday NO GOING OUTSIDE..... My kids in Sacramento are at 111+ while here in the desert we were only 109 yesterday.... my sister made it home safely yesterday to Santa Monica.... it was hot, she does not have air conditioning.....and the house had been closed up....
My plan for today's 111 here is to lay low and pool time....weather guesser says a storm will come through Thursday that will drop our temps to BELOW 100..... sweater weather..... 99 on Thursday.....
As long as there is rain or at least no dust on the storm this week I'll be happy......

Poirot it's always amazing to walk through something that was yours for a while to see what the new owners have done.... did that one time in LA when the house I grew up in was on the market, and having an open house... walked through.... couldn't believe how tiny my bedroom was.... or the dinning area in the kitchen the only "improvement" was the kitchen wall paper... we had the standard farm scene 50's wall paper....

Good Monday to everyone....

Sounds like it would have been cheaper to tear down and rebuild!
LOL, Exactly what I said, while there! However, they wanted all the logs left intact, the way it had been built orignally, So ..... (they wanted to build an entirely NEW house, but this one is grandfathered in with it's location. New rules would have to be further back, and that cannot be done because too close to the road, and to the one side, the garage. However, i said they could have left the basement, torn the upper part down, but then they would not have the original logs, etc.
Almost went out for the mail, but quickly realized it's a holiday ...no mail.
At church yesterday, the service usually ends with a hymn, but the singers instead chose God Bless America, in honor of our country & it's citizens!. Boy, for a change, everyone sang along, loud and clear. At the end, the priest started to leave the altar, usually the congregation is still singing the hymn, but the God Bless America had ended (the priest had stayed up there, singing with everyone else.
So.....one lady, sitting on the side, began singing God Bless again, very loud & clear........and bingo, every one joined in again. It was really neat......and very moving. May God Bless us all. Take care.

Back