9/7/20 - Donuts and Labor Day

katmouse

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I vacuumed and brushed Goldie this morning. I'll be doing more
labor late this afternoon when I work in the the flowerbed.

I hope everyone will have a nice day and remember stay safe.

Remember Days won't be on today

Morning, Kat,

Mike and I are building wood box border around 4 of our trees today then taking gravel from another area of the yard and filling the box in.

Yesterday was a lazy day, watched some TV and found a show on Amazon Prime that we found hilarious. It's called The Goes Wrong Show, has 6 episodes and each episodes a group of actors put on a play where anything that can go wrong does, missed cues, over actors and funny visual jokes. If this is on Amazon Prime in the U.S., and you like theatre, well worth it. So far the first 4 episodes are family friendly. I kept saying while watching it that these would be so much fun to perform.

At 9:30pm last night, we both broke up the tv watching and decided to roast a chicken, made some tornado potatoes, carrots and hash browns for breakfast this morning.

I have 3 days of work this week with 2 of those days being spent in formal training, albeit online BUT I won't be alone reading. This will be with a group. YAY!!!!!! Something interactive. I've heard that we may resume on site inspections in October depending on the COVID situation. In Alberta the number of cases has been increasing daily . School is now one week in and there have been confirmed cases in a few of them.......DUUUUUUUHHHH!!?! Who would have predicted that?!?!?!?! :sarcasm:

Plus with fall pretty much here and winter right behind everyone will be stuck indoors giving this virus a greater opportunity to spread. With Thanksgiving coming next month you just know that families are going to justify gathering over being smart and just taking the attitude that this holiday and others are still going to be here next year so maybe in the interest of everyone's health no matter how the small the risk, people could just resist the urge to get together. We made the decision to not go to my parents this year for Christmas despite not having spent one with them in 5 years and told my parents that we were also not having anybody stay with us, which might be an issue for Mike's parents but they are not in our bubble of people we see on a regular basis. Camping is different because we are all outdoors and have the space to distance.

ANYWAYS, I went off on a tangent.....all that to say who knows if inspections will actually resume. I'm just glad I have training every week in September.

Hope everyone enjoys their Monday off.

Hello, everyone...and if any doubt it is "Fall" up here, our high today will be 58, and tomorrow 53!! Partly sunny, partly cloudy, a bit windy......laundry for me today. One trip out to Post office to mail several items, rather drop in the box there then here. Seems to sometimes take longer when I put in the box here??? Who knows. Hoping you all have nice weather, & a mostly relaxing day. (O.K. let me say...since not a sports fan, the weekends have no TV interest for me, even Turner wasn't helpful. They seem to be on a kick of showing other things besides movies of late. I know most sports were cancelled and seem to be trying to make up for it, so those folks who enjoy ...happy for you! :) Meanwhile, even Hallmark is showing triple reruns. (meaning the 3rd or 4th time they have shown it. Ah, well. So goes it. Back to reading instead. LOL

I hope most people in the US will be smart and won't celebrate holidays with family unless they
live with them. I'm reading today some colleges are sending kids home instead of keeping them.
So how many students will infect family members?

Muzzaman, did you eat the chicken last night or breakfast this morning? 9:30 is almost
bed time for me.

Poirot, enjoy your cooler day. It's still in the 80s here for the next few days.

I guess I'm at an advantage, since I quit doing Christmas some years ago. I did go to be with all my kids at one son's house for Thanksgiving last year but I don't plan to do that this year unless there is some big, unexpected change in the Covid situation.

Poirot, I've gotten so I go into the post office to mail things of importance. I don't dare put them in my mailbox on a lonely county road, and I've heard too much of theft, even from the outside boxes at post offices. Weekends are long here, for the same reasons. Nothing of interest to me on tv, and not much activity online. Three-day weekends are really long!

Muzz, tornado potatoes sound interesting. You are one energetic person! A 3-day work week....Yippee!!

Kat, I hope you find some enjoyment today. I saved Friday's episode of Days to watch today. I usually watch the one from the day before while I eat my lunch. That way I can skip the commercials.

Soapkitty, your snowdrops are beautiful (yesterday's Donuts). I was interested in your comments about the daffodils being poisonous to animals. I don't plant flowers anymore but I enjoy the wildflowers around me. After the rain we had last week, Rain Lilies have been popping up in and around my yard. I've read they can be poisonous to cattle (sometimes cause blindness) so I've always hoped my cows would somehow know not to eat them. Then a couple of days ago some of my cows came into my yard and after they left, I happened to notice that the few Rain Lilies that had been in the back yard were gone! I have no other explanation than the cows ate them. I hope it doesn't hurt them because there's no way I could get rid of those flowers in the pastures, even if I had pulled or cut down the few that were in my yard. These are such dainty, lovely little flowers--one flower on one stem per plant. They only appear here in late summer or fall, after a rain.

I think I'll make some tacos for my lunch. I bet it's been over a week since I've had any of them.

jUST saw on Facebook, weather map from our weatherman who moved from Duluth to North Carolina. He noted that in Denver, today would be 91, next day in 30s, with 9-15" of snow expected!!!! it gets warmer after that every day, reaching 80s by following Monday! Egads!

So, Robin, is any of that cooler weather headed your way yet?

Late morning all..... I finally got Peacock to work on the television and we are rewatching Downton Abbey..... and discovered we had missed the first 4 episodes of Season 2, it was a strange we new the results of the episodes but never really understood.... so that was fun..... I did on Saturday watch the Kentucky Derby..... and a bit of baseball Sunday..... I can't really get into the season this year.....

The Beast last night found and destroyed my last nerve as we were working on his training..... he wouldn't sit, or touch or anything .....he was just a little monster..... he is so not going to pass and it's my fault if I can't figure how to work with him when he gets in a mood....(besides not trying to work with him when he is in the mood)......

My sister has her first grandchild due October in Vancouver, BC..... she is making plans to go help after the birth.... she will fly up and get to stay for 14 days in a hotel as she is quarantined.... then she will be able to visit her grand baby..... we won't be getting together this December, for our Christmas celebration, thanks COVID......

Poirot YES.... cooler weather is coming..... only 109 today instead of 110+ and tomorrow only 103!!!! Saturday I was happier with Tuesday's temp of 98 but will take 103....... but the 7 day forecast is still all 100+ so not really...... my ex lives in Denver and I wish him all the joys of the heat today and snow shoveling tomorrow.....

So how does Peacock work on the TV? Do you have to have a phone & app? (I do not, so have no idea about anything. Just like streaming? No idea how that works, (I have DirectTV). No idea about Netflix, Hulu or any of that.

This morning, I remembered I needed to wash clothes today. Every three days
I hand wash dishes that can't go in the dishwasher. Today was the day
to do that.

Poirot, you need to talk to your kids about getting you a DVD player that has wifi for
streaming. Or you can get a Roku. Peacock made a deal with Cox cable to show it
without an extra charge. That's how I get it. It no longer shows Days early so I'm back
taping half it off on NBC. I wish my governor would pick a different time to do COVID updates

robin, I'm glad your sister can go to Canada. The last I read the border was
still closed between US and them.

Good afternoon everyone. Torrential rain here today. Almost 4 inches of water as of 4:15.

The weather folks posted on Facebook that 3 inches of rain on 1 acre of land is over 80,000 gallons of water. My front yard is over an acre plus I have 9 acres of woods. Wish I could send some of this out west to help the fire fighters.

Back to work tomorrow for me, too. I'm supposed to have training to fulfill a grant that the state received to buy equipment for all 23 agencies like mine in the state. People from 8 other ones will be coming to mine. Not looking forward to being "trained " by a state employee who had never worked in the field or used the specialized equipment.

That weird thing is happening again where my post is stuck in preview. No backspacing!

Made cornbread salad, and took some over to friend Jim's wife during a lull in the storm. Saw a few roads blocked off due to flooding.

Poirot, if you have wifi at home, a Roku costs as little as $25 on Walmart online. It is about the size of a thumbdrive. There are over 500,000 free stations on there. If you want special stations or services, you have to have accounts and pay for Netflix, etc.

Muzza, Hopefully your training is more interesting than mine.

OC, I thought most animals knew what plants were poisonous by a smell or something they gave off.

Robinsnest, hate to say it, but though we love Vinnie, he is a mite different at times.

Kat, boy you very seldom take a day off from working outside

Last edited:
The thing is, my internet modem is far away from the TV, so it would probably not work for me. I don't watch TV on the computer, and don't want to.

RS you are correct, Vinnie is a mite different.....

Poirot, I have Peacock on my phone and it's part of my DVR. One son has it downloaded as an AP on his X-Box, he is also can "cast" things from his phone to the TV, which amazes me. The others have wifi enabled DVD/Blu Ray players and stream that way.

Before I got this DVR box, I used an HDMI cable from my computer to the TV and stream movies on my computer, but it showed on the TV.

Before my church put the service on Roku, I plugged my laptap to my TV.
I'm not sure how many feet my wifi is from my TV. Wifi in office. I can
connect from my kitchen and living room from it.

rs, I bet your pumps are working overtime.

Squirrel, cornbread salad sounds good. I've never had that. I also had never heard inches of rain converted to gallons. Interesting. You have quite a lot of acreage for not being way out in the country. I have an area of my pasture that used to be fenced off. It was ten acres. So I can picture in my mind how much that would be. As much rain as you get, I'm surprised the government hasn't declared your place a wetland! :rolleyes:

Robin, maybe Vinnie has ADD or some such? It's going to be rough if he doesn't come around. I'm hoping maybe he's just a bit delayed in maturing. What a strange world, when your sister has to go through hoops to visit and help with her new grandbaby. Lots of things have become strange in the past several months. I'm sorry the cool weather isn't going to extend down your way. They're now saying we won't get as cool as they thought but still, we will have a pretty good drop.

Unbelievable, but my basement is dry! Not one drop of water has come in. The rain gauge in the open part of the yard is now at almost 6 inches.

Cornbread Salad is similar to the 7 layer salads that were popular in the 80s. I better go to my tablet or laptop to post the recipe because this is even worse trying to type on here with the phone. I wonder why it is only on the Spectator?? Plus can't get the preview off.

Last edited:
Cornbread salad is easy to make, but takes time. There are some shortcuts you can do if you buy the veggies already cleaned and sliced in the vegetable / salad / deli department of the grocery store. You can also use store bought cornbread instead of baking a pan of it. I used the store bought mini loaves today that I bought at Sam's Club on Saturday. It took 4 mini loaves cut in 1/2 inch cubes for each of mine today so 8 total.

This recipe made 2 containers that are 8 X 4.

Cornbread Salad

Corn bread cut into 1 inch or 1/2 inch cubes enough to cover the bottom of your dish or container.
1 can pinto beans - drained, rinsed, patted dry
1 can corn - drained, patted dry
2 large bell peppers - seeded, diced
3 medium tomatoes - seeded, diced
1 sweet onion - diced small
2 cups grated cheddar cheese - optional ( I didn't use)
Ranch dressing

Layer the ingredients in the order given.

Spread the Ranch dressing completely over the top layer . If making the Hidden Valley Ranch or the store brand packet, use all the dressing that it makes.

Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Last edited:
Back