9/8/23 - Donuts and stormy weather

katmouse

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I woke up around 4 and heard rain and thunder. I got back to sleep and woke up when the alarm went off.

There was a break in the rain around 7 and I walked two times around. I walked when I could since it's going
to be in the 80s after the rain. It started raining again shortly after I got back. I might be taking Fenix out
later than usual.

I'll be doing studies today and work on my brother's map collection. I started putting plastic sleeves on them
before the water leak. I need to get more protected. The other day I got a newsletter from a map organization.
I told them I have his maps. I'm going to take pictures and send to person. He had over 200 maps (I'll count later).
The man said they would like them as a donation. Someone will have to come since it would cost too much to ship.

I hope everyone has a blessed Friday and safe weekend.

Good morning, all.
Enjoy that rain, kat. I sure wish we could get a really good rain fall. This morning does definitely look like autumn. Thick fog, and I hear fog horns in the distance.
I have a doctor appointment this afternoon to try to get some understanding of what happened to me Monday morning. I'm still a little shaky, and I'm wondering if my cortisol level shot through the roof. Anyone know what symptoms that might produce????
Wishing you all a good day and a joy-filled weekend.

Happy Friday to all. While a shorter work week, it still felt like five days to me. 82 humid degrees, and we will have rain on and off until at least Wednesday of next week. But temps in 70s and 80s. We're getting there. Still not thrilled about a wet weekend.

Kat - Glad you got a walk in. Good luck with the map project.

Lil0 - I hope your doctor's appointment goes well and they figure out what happened the other day.

Let's make the most of the second Friday in September.

1694183704578.jpeg

Oh, autumn is making it's appearance for sure. They were talking on the news about the colors beginning to change, how you could already see reds and orange in the trees. If you can, don't miss the show today. Days is a good one, just got thru. Not even one little urge to FF.
Lil0, hope you find the cause of the problem you experienced.
Know you have had your hands full, Kat, taking care of all the things related to your brother. Try to take it easy over the weekend, if possible.
WW, we are a lot cooler than you, but as you said, we all are on the way with autumn.
My younger son worked hard to get it done, and finally, yesterday, got his older brother over to the VA nursing home near him. Older son really deteriorated in Assisted living place, which was reluctant to lose him, ($$$$$) thus seemed to give overly positive reports to prospective nursing homes, on his condition, thus making them thing my son was not as in need of nursing home as family was saying.

Good Friday morning.... sorry for the oversleep and getting the show up a bit later than normal..... it is a great show today... worth the time to watch.

When I was the caretaker for my dad, and the rehab facility he was in refused to keep him anymore he had used up all of his medicare funds, I spoke with them and wanted to put him in hospice. My stepmother wouldn't hear of it and had the rehab place give a really unrealistic report to the group home she found for him. He was bedridden, but they were told he needed help using the toilet, getting to the toilet but was a walker.... he hadn't walked since he broke his hip.... months earlier..... it's sad when places do that..... but the group home and I got him into hospice and things went well after that.

Last night's dinner plans fell apart spectacularly as we waited for HB's daughter to pick us up, she texted to say Grandson wanted to stay home she was going to throw something together quickly and she was sorry. I had nothing ready for dinner.... because we were going out. We ended up going out just not to the fund raiser....

I forgot to tell you that I took my picture the one stuck to the glass to a photography studio that works with restoring pictures. They were very happy that I hadn't tried the hair dryer to loosen or the freezer to loosen or the get wet to pull away the picture. The picture is on OLD OLD OLD Kodak paper not the newer paper. It would have been ruined had I tried any of those methods. He knows exactly how to fix it and I should have it back fixed in a couple of weeks. I will even get a digital picture so if anything ever happens again I will have it saved in the cloud for future use.....Thank you for all of your suggestions.... if I had been able to find the hair dryer I would have used it.... luckily it's in a box somewhere.....

Happy Friday to all....

The rain stopped two hours before the forecast stated. I'm glad I took a walk when I did since it's sunny and in the 80s.

I went to the small library since an inter-library (from another library system) book I wanted was there. I decided to
go get since my books are loaned for four to six weeks. This book I can keep until Nov. 22. I will be done before
then. The librarian showed me the cart. It's almost as full when I went yesterday. The afternoon person was to shelf
yesterday afternoon, but didn't. I told Trish to let me know if cart still full in the AM. I'll go down and put the books up.

I may go out this afternoon and pick the last of the poke salad. It will be the last batch since it's getting so old.

Lil0, I hope your doctor was able to help you today.

robin, you probably needed extra sleep after your busy days. I'm sorry you missed the fund raiser.

Wilde Woman, I hope your weekend goes well even with the rain.

rf, I hope you get rain and only rain.

Poirot, I'll work on the maps while watching TV. I finished a puzzle and I'll leave the table up for it.

Wow, lots going on here and I enjoy the wealth of information on all kinds of subjects in Donuts.

Lil0, I'm not familiar with cortisol or what it does in our bodies. Sounds like a naturally-produced pain reliever, as in the cortisone given by doctors. I hope you got some answers that are helpful for you.

Kat, I wonder if the libraries know what a treasure they have in you. I hope you can get the maps picked up. I didn't know anybody wanted old maps. I have some I'm planning to throw out but I doubt they are of any value to anyone.

Robin, bummer about your dinner plans but as always, you made the best of things. I so enjoyed reading about the solution for the picture that was stuck. I have a lot of old family photos of several generations back so information on things like that are good to know.

Sexton, eek! no hail or damaging winds needed! Too bad that often seems to be a possibility in order to get the rain we need.

Wilde Woman, I'm happy for you to finally have Friday here (and almost done). Last night and early this morning I thought today was Saturday. When I got up and realized it was only Friday, I was relieved. I was able to get some things done that would have been more challenging for a Saturday. Sorry you're getting more rain.

Poirot, God bless your younger son for staying with it and getting his brother where he needed to be. It's sad that so many things seem to come down to either money or politics--usually a combination of the two. I hope older son will now truly get the care he needs and also that this may relieve some of the pressure that has weighed on you.

My niece and I fed cubes to the cows this morning, then went to the farm store and put gas in the truck. I came home and took a 15 minute nap (didn't rest well overnight due to headache), then went to town for a prescription. Got a burger at Dairy Queen while in town. It was 107* last time I looked, a couple of hours ago. Was supposed to reach 108* and probably has. Tomorrow, only 100*, then gradually down from there with chances of rain by Sunday-Tuesday.

Went out to pick up a prescription, which at first they said they didnot have, then found the call in for it on their computer, so come back later, as they were going to lunch in 15 min. So, it's an hour and 1/2 later, and it STILL was not ready, but almost. Frustration!

Was shocked to see gas had gone up $.20 a gallon just the last day

Lil0, I'm not familiar with cortisol or what it does in our bodies
I think it is our fight-or-flight hormone. So, it can be a good thing. The problem comes up when your body puts out too much, at the wrong time, for too long. I'm not sure what an extreme over dose might do.

I googled this info.......

Cortisol is a hormone produced by the two adrenal glands, which are located on top of each kidney. The pituitary gland in the brain regulates cortisol production. Cortisol plays an important role in the stress response. Maintaining an adequate balance of cortisol is essential for health.

Signs and symptoms of raised cortisol include rapid weight gain particularly in the face, chest & abdomen, high blood pressure, thinning of the bones (osteoporosis), skin changes (bruises and purplish stretch marks), muscle weakness, changes in mood & high blood sugar.

Symptoms of lower-than-normal cortisol levels, or adrenal insufficiency, include: Fatigue. Unintentional weight loss. Poor appetite

I asked my doctor if an over load of cortisol could cause blocking out memory. She said absolutely. That is why sometimes people who have a life threatening experience or other traumatic event block out all or part of the experience. I certainly don't think I was feeling that threatened, but I was aware my anxiety level was skyrocketing and I was trying to talk myself down. The "working diagnosis" at this point is panic attack. I'm going to take CBD and Valerian for a couple of weeks to see how it goes. If no improvement, she will start a more in depth series of tests to see what else we can learn.

Lil0, thanks for the update. It sounds hopeful you didn't have a stroke. I hope the meds help.

EEK, Poirot, maybe I have low cortisol.

Thunder and lightning here. It was supposed to stay up around the Red River tonight. Don't know if it will reach me or not but it's not so far away right now.

from our local Wichita Newspaper:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (WDAF) – Kansas and Missouri drivers should prepare for a steep price increase at the pump, experts say.

Gas Buddy, which monitors gas prices around the United States, Canada and Australia, predicts gas prices in the Midwest will spike anywhere from 50 cents to $1 per gallon over the next several days.
Experts fear gas prices could get worse before they get better

There are few details on what’s leading to the increase, but Gas Buddy says a refinery outage could be to blame.

Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy, said the price hike could be limited if the EPA switches to the winter blend of gasoline early.

“The spike in gas prices may be relatively short-lived, but the situation remains volatile,” De Haan said in a news release.

As of Thursday, wholesale gas prices in the Midwest were already up nearly $1 per gallon from one week ago, and AAA reports a gallon of gas is up 7 cents in Missouri and 3 cents in Kansas.

But AAA did note on Thursday that the national average for a gallon of gas was down two cents since last week, falling to $3.80. Missouri remains one of the top 10 least expensive states with an average gas price of $3.55, as of Friday. Kansas isn’t far behind at $3.59 per gallon.

Gas Buddy expects stations will start raising their prices significantly soon and advises drivers to fill up now before prices spike.

:head scratch::head scratch::head scratch:

Back