Actor and Actress return to Days

Yeah, I read the same info....was an interview I believe. I thought it was with ReRon, so......well, we'll see if things go the way he thought they were going to go. This show is so screwed up, and they did not do a decent job of pasting the Beyond events into the regular show.

Yeah, I read the same info....was an interview I believe. I thought it was with ReRon

Yes, I have corrected my earlier post, it was an article in Soap Opera Digest with the head writer. I saw Bo & Hope on the cover and thought it was an interview with Peter Reckell (Bo) & Kristian Alfonso (Hope) about their return only to discover it was actually an interview with the head writer who didn't really say much of anything. :rolleyes:

This show is so screwed up

You got that right, the whole show just seems so disjointed to me and its made it difficult to watch. I recall a post I read on here a while ago where someone stated that they no longer film complete episodes, just scenes which they then patch together to form a complete episode. This would explain why many times the various scenes in an episode do not seem to fit together, there is no flow from one to the next because of the way they are filmed. Is this how far the show has fallen, they can't even afford to film an entire episode from start to finish?!

They tape as many scenes as they can in one day to save time/money. They've been taping at this breakneck speed for years now, which is why they're months ahead in taping. The only benefit to them being so far ahead in taping is that when the other soaps were shut down for Covid, they all had to air old episodes, while Days had several months of shows completed, so they kept airing new episodes.

I was considering attempting to watch again if Bo and Hope were going to be coming back but as it is only for a very short time it honestly isn't even worth my time. I can catch all their scenes on YouTube and not subject myself to the mess that Days has become. I haven't watched in years and this is a soap that my mom and I would watch religiously. I can remember being really little and watching it with her. I miss her and I miss the show we loved.

I watched with my mom in the ‘80s and kept watching into the ‘90s during and after college. I fell off for a few years in the mid-‘00s but started watching again when she was sick with cancer 2008-10. I’ve watched almost daily ever since and joined this board sometime since then.

I’ve told this story before here, but when I flew back from a memorial we had for my mom in Mississippi where she was from, guess who was on my tiny regional plane? Kristian Alfonso (Hope). I thought it was like a funny sign from my mom. I have a soft spot for that character. I just hate what they’ve done with her since Bo died.

The show runs into problems when it hires writers who have no idea about the characters, previous stories, etc. Or ones who want to take characters into "a different direction". At times, Days was lucky if they got someone who had ever watched the show. Some writers make it their business to binge watch past episodes, scour soap sites...when they are FIRST hired, so they get a feeling for the show, characters and viewer base.

And then the writers have to deal with actors who do not want to be on contract, decide to leave, get ticked off or just up and leave (as Hope did last year, meaning actor, Kristian Alfonso). Recasting is not easy as some available actors just don't fit the character. That covid shutdown really hurt the show, actors returned not wanting to be tied down to contracts, making it difficult for writers to plan a story stretching out over weeks, as the actor would not always be available.

A shame Corday was unable to solve that problem, (Alaar was no help either).......but I did read that the show was limiting "recurring". So instead we have these visits by characters from the past, you know, the short "arcs".

I wouldn’t mind if they did more short arc mini seasons. If managed well, I think it could help them secure talent and tell complete, cohesive stories because they know what actors they’re working with and can write a proper beginning and end of arcs. I feel like some of the terrible writing is because they start something then abandon it and have to work around actors leaving or suddenly coming back and we get whiplash. If they have a complete story for Ben and Ciara and then send them away after three weeks, fine.

I can remember watching in the early 70's and probably before but it wasn't something that I truly paid attention to. My mom had watched it from the very beginning. I can remember the birth of the "super couple" and how the writers went crazy trying to find the perfect fit for that amazing love story. There are so many characters that are no longer on the show that I absolutely loved. Also so many story lines that were absolutely wonderful. To see what Days has became breaks my heart.

I have mixed feelings about Bo and Hope.

To me, the super couples are John/Marlena and Steve/Kayla.

I wish they never did Beyond Salem. It was not fair to those who could not watch and is causing confusion to those who did watch, me included. Too many inconsistencies. If they wanted to write those story lines, they should have been integrated into Days and not just stuck into Days like a patchwork quilt.

It just does not work!

Is that why the couples are not having scenes with each other now? Bo is with Kayla, his sis. Hope is with Harris. Steve is currently with Megan.....but John has found Marlena.

Back