Actor John Callahan (Dr. Baker) has died

Just Samantha

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So sad to hear of John Callahan's (Dr. Baker) passing. He died of a stroke; only 66 years old.

:cry:

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/amc-alum-john-callahan-dies-at-66/

johncallahan_04_800x500.jpg

I'm very sorry to hear about this. He's gone way too soon. As my screen name indicates, I really enjoyed his character and always held out hope that he might briefly return someday. His facial expression and tone of voice when he told Nicole that her fake pregnancy plan was crazy was priceless. (If only the current babyswitching plot had something extra to give it a little life.) I also enjoyed him fooling DiMera goons by injecting himself with some Rolf-like drug so he'd appear to be dead and his unrequited affection for mugger Hope. John Callahan's portrayal of Dr. Baker showed how even lesser characters can really add something to Days plots.

I think Dr. Baker had a lot of loyal fans. He'd have been such a welcome addition to many of these dreary and annoying storylines.
Totally agree. John Callahan's Dr. Baker demonstrated that truly entertaining episodes don't require moral monsters, such as Steve-ano, Orpheus, Clyde, Kristen, or the most recent version of Gabi. (Days relies far too much on this ilk.) Dr. Baker was a flawed human being - - gambling addict and sometime baby broker -- and these failings were enough to develop good story lines. The same goes for such characters as Hattie, Rory, and T. Many viewers surely smile when this type of character appears on their TV screens rather than groaning and/or pressing the fast-forward button.

Back