Am puzzled about this

Some folks use their phones and the speech to text application, which sometimes results in this sort of post.
I also know that some people can not use a keypad for medical/physical reasons and have the same type of application or software on their computers or laptops.

Not saying that is the case with this one (the original post) but it could be. I have a friend who cut both of her hands so badly in an accident that she had to use software of this type for many, many months.

That is why it puzzled me. And I said so in my post. I am not familiar with that kind of software, but does it capitalize at random? And use so many periods (no commas, which is no big deal)

I went back to the site to see if there were any others......and that post had disappeared.

That post just looks plain strange.

Some of our totally blind clients use similar speech programs for posting on forums, emails, and texting. Their's only capitalize the first word of each sentence. They have to say the words "period", "comma" etc. to insert the punctuation. The program knows to capitalize the first word that follows a punctuation mark that only occurs at the end of a sentence . ! ?

That is ... fascinating. I actually unfollowed the Days facebook pages (all but Jason47's although I'm close on that one, too) because of gibberish like this. I'll second DrBakerFan's post above, it's not an English-Language-Learner/English as a Second Language issue.

HOWEVER, this particular post is so peculiar, that I AM intrigued. It could be a programme that translates talk-to-text for the visually impaired. (I have some experience with programmes of that nature from about 10 years ago, they were pretty awful, I imagine they've gotten better.) And this poster is clearly making an effort to punctuate, capitalise, etc. (or the prog. is autocorrecting it poorly, which again means they at least have the feature enabled) unlike the truly reprehensible posts on facebook. Then again, the names are spelled oddly, and inconsistently...oy this is a mystery greater than who killed Nick + what's in Ciara's backpack combined!!

Now as to the content, I disagree with its opening conjecture entirely.

That is awful. I'll admit to being a 'grammar Nazi, though I'm quite young. Unless I'm on my iPad (my fingers are too big for the small keys), my grammar/spelling is usually good. I noticed that a lot of people do this because for some reason, they think it is cool or won't last long. You guys should see some of the posts on The Bold & the Beautiful's Facebook page--hard to believe, but some of the posts on there (by those who comment on a post) are even worse!

Oh, this is weird. It looks deliberate but I really want to have faith that no one would willingly type like that. I guess it could be the result of a translation programme? I have relatives that sometimes use translation programmes to speak to me in English (Russian is my first language), but it never comes out that bad.

I'm not discounting the fact that it could just be unbelievably atrocious writing, but I have seen some talk-to-text results that were rather bad. I also have a deaf friend who makes odd grammar "mistakes", presumably because sign language doesn't have the same "sentence structure" as English? Maybe this person is deaf and blind... that might explain the issues. Or maybe we're trying too hard to figure out something that just might not make any logical sense?! :)

That is why it puzzled me. And I said so in my post. I am not familiar with that kind of software, but does it capitalize at random? And use so many periods (no commas, which is no big deal)

I went back to the site to see if there were any others......and that post had disappeared.

I don't do Facebook, so am not familiar with how it all works, but perhaps a moderator there (if there is a moderator?) decided the post was too much of a mess to leave up???

Back