Bill Hayes (Doug) has died

GOODBYE, BILL

75e1bc2535f629f593b4b899c360a951471be73b.jpg

Before television existed, Bill enlisted in the Navy Air Corps the moment he turned 18 in June 1943. He spent the last two years of World War II training to be a fighter pilot. Soon after the war ended, he became part of the fabric of television, first as a singer on "Your Show of Shows." In 1955, his rendition of "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" hit # 1 on the Billboard charts for five weeks. In 1970, he was cast as Brent Douglas (aka Doug Williams) on "Days of Our Lives", a role he would continue to play, off-and-on, over the course of the next 54 years. It was thanks to "Days" that he met Susan Seaforth. They married in 1974, and their characters married on "Days" in 1976.

I found out five days ago that things were not going well. I spent the past five days reminiscing, remembering the time I was first put into contact with Bill years ago. I found out then that the man fans saw on "Days" for the past six decades was just as you saw him on screen: genuine, caring, full of life, a wonderfully nice man. He was so pleased to be sent his first script page from his debut episode in 1970 and immediately signed it for me. Through the years, we would stay in touch via email. He rarely took more than a day to respond back. As such a long-time fan of "Days", I was always in awe that he was just an email away if ever I had a "Days" question or just wanted to say hello. I will always cherish his friendship. My condolences to Susan, his children and the rest of his family.

Here's the last written correspondence I received from Bill: His and Susan's 2021 Christmas card. It was always a treat to see Doug and Julie at the Horton Christmas each year, and the Christmas cards they sent added to the magic of the season, especially for this "Days" fan!

43ac90b56d1ffd8d59753d68725adec4982099a2.jpg

What sad news to wake up to this morning. As robin noted, I hope they do a proper goodbye to Doug.

I can't imagine how sad and upset the cast and crew are over this loss.

RIP our dear Bill Hayes. Thank you for all of the years of entertainment.

Back