Book Recommendations

hides14

Reaction score
Hello All! I need some help. I am having surgery in a couple months and will be laid up in the hospital for over a week. Having been in the hospital before I know the boredom can overtake one quickly!! I am looking to load up my Kindle with some awesome books. Any recommendations from anyone? I am a fan of almost anything except sci-fi and cheesy romance stuff. Love thrillers, suspense, crime drama, classics, mystery, really anything! How about it, read anything good lately?

Any Agatha Christie is good in my view... Not new, but classics in their genre.

For something much, much lighter, the author Sophie Kinsella can make you relax, especially "Can you keep a secret ?" It's a little bit cheesy, but not too much, I think. It's a funny, entertaining little book. Perfect for the hospital.

I also love Rosamunde Pilcher, her novels are very good, especially "The Shell Seekers". Again, not new, but very well written.

I would also suggest my books, the best ones out there, but unfortunately, they're all in French ! :wink: :D

Anyway, good luck with your surgery ! Already sending positive thoughts !

How about Intentional Stranger by another of our Spectator family members, backtodays. I got it through the amazon.com kindle store.

The Hunger Game trilogy

anything by James Patterson

John Sanford books that have the word "prey" in the title - The recurring main character is Lucas Davenport. "Chosen Prey" is next for me

any of the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich - I'm on Explosive Eighteen now

books by Kathy Reichs - the tv show Bones on Fox is loosely based on her character, Dr. Temperance Brennan

Downton Abbey - based on the PBS tv show

To TheWriter - any chance your books will be translated to English ? Unfortunately, Spanish is shoved down our throats as a second language in the public schools in my area. French teachers are not replaced as they retire.

I'm glad you started this thread, hides14. Just not glad that the reason is that you'll be in the hospital. :(

That's a new author to be, Lil0. Will check out her books, too.

Ok, googled her......... I have read her books. Just didn't remember her name. She has Warshawski as the private invertigator. Will have to see if she has anything new.

Since someone else mentioned Agatha Christie, who is my favorite, two of hers are really excellent. Ten Little Indians.....and Murder on the Orient Express.

My daughter is a huge fan of John Sanford's "Prey" books. She has read nearly every single one, always cannot wait for the next one to come out.

One book I love - different from the movie, so glad I read it before I saw the movie - is Bridges of Madison County. Tis a small book, but it just grabs ya. Robert Waller.

A Song of Ice and Fire (AKA, the Game of Thrones series) is an excellent fantasy series. I rarely reread books, but I'm on my second read of this series, and again, I can't put it down. There is lots of sci fi and some romance, so you might want to give the series a look.

Good luck to you - Beth

I love the Agent Pendergast series by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child! The first book is called Relic and there are about 10 more in the series. Lots of science and investigation (Pendergast is with the FBI). I also just finished The Lost Goddess by Tom Knox, lots of science and history in that one. Hope you have a swift recovery!

Of course, I am going to shamelessly suggest my suspense book on Amazon, Intentional Stranger. :) And after that shameless plug, I highly suggest anything by John Grisham. I was mad they cancelled The Firm series...love it! Also I highly suggest books by Elmore Leonard who the show "Justified" is based on. I love, love, love Timothy Olyphant!:love:

Oh thank you everyone for all the recommendations (and the well wishes!). It is much appreciated!! I will check them all out.
I have been going back and re-reading some classic lately, Gone With the Wind, Jane Austen, etc. Has anyone read Great Expectations? I have a copy but haven't read it yet and don't know if I should.
I have heard good things about those "prey' books by John Sanford. I may try those.
My mom has always been an Agatha Christie fan but i have never read anything of hers so perhaps i should start:)

@backtodays, i will surely check your book out on Amazon!

@ Shirley and Jammers ~ OK, now you've done it!! You both recommended the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, so I bought Three Plums in One -- the first three books in this series. 800 pages later I'm hooked. Just ordered the next three. My problem with reading fiction is a complete lack of self control. I read well into the night. Not much else gets done. These books are very entertaining. I will be reading along and suddenly burst into laughter at her "turn of a phrase". Love the wacky collection of characters.
Thanks for mentioning this series.

@ Lil0, They have made a movie of the first book. It was pretty good and kept pretty much to character. Kathryn Heigl plays Stephanie, Sherri Shephard plays Lula, and Debbie Reynolds plays Stephanie's Grandma...and does a superb job!

OMG I've been thinking this is good movie or TV series material. LOVE the Grandma character. And I can almost hear the mother's voice every time she speaks. What is the name of the movie? Is it One for the Money?

Poirot recommended Kim Zimmer's book (I'm Just Sayin') to me, and it is a good read. If you like screwball comedies, I recommend Mike Nelson's Death Rat! (which has a plot). Also good for a light read are the comedy act books by Wanda Sykes, Ellen DeGeneres, or Kathy Griffin.

Jason - I just finished Elen Degeneres' book......loved it!

Lil0 - I'm the same way when I get hooked on a book. I read until 2:00 this morning, and had to get up at 5:00. This one is in a series by Diane Mott Davidson. Her main character is a caterer who solves murders.

Back