car insurance?

Lil0

Reaction score
Website
keraskitchen.com
One of the (few) downsides of living alone is having to make some important decisions without anyone to talk with about it. I am going to change car insurance providers and am overwhelmed with the process. I started out just comparing premium rates. OK. narrowed it down to 3 companies. Then decided to check out "reviews" online. And BBB ratings. Found a publication that lists the "10 worst" car insurance companies. 2 of my 3 finalists were one that list. So the search continues.
Is anyone willing to recommend their provider? Does anyone have Amica? Your thoughts? I'm getting dizzy trying to sort this out.

Sorry Lil0.......I have had just one company for years and years, State Farm. I HAVE gotten annoyed the last couple of years, mostly that is the agents..we have had several different ones in this tiny town. A couple good ones, but...the good ones get promoted to bigger areas.

I have had to try shopping around for building insurance, and that is a chore for sure. So many companies, so much different criteria.

The trouble is the country itself has suffered so many disasters the past several years, that they have to increase rates to make up for it, but won't tell you that. LOL

The other problem is the company will change coverages, and sometimes we don't pay much attention to those notices that say the company will not longer cover...xxxxxx.

I almost switched over to Hartford, which offers low rates, but learned that after a year or so, they raise the rates a lot.

Thanks, folks.
I have had Farmers for several years, but the rates keep increasing -- a LOT!! The bill that just arrived was for $700 for 6 months. Yipes. Progressive, State Farm, Geico all quoted rates under $350. But that report about the 10 worst companies listed: Allstate, Unum, AIG, State Farm, Conseco, WellPoint, Farmers, UnitedHealth, Torchmark, and Liberty Mutual in that order. After reading the report I realized that monthly rates shouldn't be my only criterion for selection. Some folks complained that they got lured in to a company with the promise of low rates, but then the rates increased dramatically after they had been with the company for awhile.
Consumer Reports lists the military coverage as the best, but I don't qualify for that. Amica is about #3 on their list -- which is why I asked if anyone had experience with them. They gave me a higher quote than the companies I named above, but still lower than my Farmers bill.
Poirot, I hadn't thought about the fact that insurance companies have been hit hard by several natural disasters. I guess we are all now paying for that. Somehow it seems my good driving record and company loyalty should have counted for something. **sigh**

That is what I said about State Farm. LOL. And was going to get Farmers for my son, but their quote was the same as the one he has, but also, they checked his drivers' background and came up with a supposed accident, on a date he did not even own his vehicle. I figured if they cannot get correct info, even with a protest, then nope.
Have you checked into Nationwide? Sometimes there are ins. companies "local" to your area. America Family Ins. ???
Auto-Owners Insurance?? That is what our son has, thru his bank, which offers ins. services.

I use Progressive. Flo talked me into it with that cool name your price gun. :)

Seriously I do have Progressive but because they had the best rates for me.

I've always had Nationwide, and it does the best for me since I'm a single female and now a senior citizen. I still check out other company rates each renewal period to make sure.

The rates also depend on which insurance "region" your town is grouped into. Mine is included with Youngstown, Ohio (25 minutes away) by all companies instead of New Castle. PA., which is closer. That designation ups all insurance policies by almost 20% over what people living 15 minutes away pay.

Single women have higher insurance than men or married women. My agent explained that is based on the age old thought that married men do most of the driving, and their wives are usually the passenger. GRRRRR

It may only be in Florida but news stations have done segments on ways to lower your rate. If Safe Driver is on your license it can get lowered, as well as if you drive less than 30 miles a day in the insuredvehicle.

I have every discount that Nationwide offers.....safe driver, extra safety equipment installed, low mileage, long time policy holder, and multiple policies. I also get an extra discount that is mandated by PA state law. Drivers age 55 and over who take "Seniors for Safe Driving" or "55 Alive" courses every 3 years must receive a 5% discount on their annual car insurance premium.

I've taken the "Seniors for Safe Driving" class twice already. My re-take will be this coming August. The first time , it is an 8 hour class. After that, you take a 4 hour class each time. The cost is $15 once every 3 years. It is like taking drivers' ed like we had in high school back in the 1960s. You learn all of the new laws, get a new PA drivers' manual, watch the videos, and learn how to be a better/safer driver. The laws have changed a lot since I first got my driver's license in 1969.

One safety tip is to never park anywhere that you have to back out of a parking space. I always park so I can pull forward.

I try to park that way too, redsquirrel, but lately see more & more signs saying to not do the back in parking. I think it's so license plates can be seen clearly to be ran, or so the back of the car is better seen in case of break ins thru the trunk.

I also try to avoid left turns in busy places where there is no light. I rather go rights around a block or go to a light.

I have used State Farm for decades. This summer I had a major plumbing break & they dropped the claim mid repair. Friends I've talked with had similar stories post car accidents for several companies. Its a guessing game. Now I'll see how Progressive does.

Sirramix, how long have you had Progressive? So far, they are offering the best rate, but then I saw a review that said they lure you in with the low rate and then start increasing it fairly quickly. What is your experience?

Are you old enough for AARP? They have car insurance with company.

I'm with Shelter. I'm like you alone and unsure about changing anything

AARP company is the one I read about that raised rates a lot after a year or two. People were complaining like mad.
And State Farm just recently added that clause about the plumbing breaks.

I'm not an AARP member. I haven't yet looked at the AAA policies. Anyone have experience with them? I am a member, so I already have the emergency roadside assistance coverage with them.

AARP uses The Hartford. Triple A ins got bad reviews. ?????

Sirramix, how long have you had Progressive? So far, they are offering the best rate, but then I saw a review that said they lure you in with the low rate and then start increasing it fairly quickly. What is your experience?

Only about 3 months ago. Before that it was thru State Farm I believe, bunched together with home, flood, fire, etc.

I've also heard on the local news that it's good to shop for lower rates every few years. What may be the lowest now may not be the lowest down the road.

Back