car insurance?

Thanks Poirot, I know now not to go with AARP

Hmm. Well The Hartford got OK rating on Consumer Reports. I assume one could get their insurance without joining AARP.

Geico and Progressive both get decent ratings on Consumer Reports -- sort of. And both offer low rates coming in. I just wonder about the reports of "some" companies luring in with low rates and wondered if anyone here has experience with that.
Nationwide seems to also have fairly good reputation. Except for satisfaction with premium rates. Hmmmm

I've also heard on the local news that it's good to shop for lower rates every few years. What may be the lowest now may not be the lowest down the road.

And yet they claim to reward "loyalty". Each form I've filled in asks how long I've been with my current provider -- and they claim I get a loyalty discount because I haven't changed companies in 10 years. My own provider is certainly NOT giving me a "loyalty" discount!!!!!!!!!!

I've spent a lot more time this morning researching and reviewing. I'm leaning toward The Hartford at this point. They rank pretty well on the Consumer Reports customer satisfaction list and their rates are among the lowest. My total annual premium for car and house would be $1076. That is way better than my current rates.

I would call your current insurance agent and tell him you're
going to switch because of higher rates. Maybe he will do
something to keep you as a customer :)

Good idea katmouse. I know that works for other types of bills.

If you like your current insurance & it's just over the rates, maybe if you haven't already, ask your agent about what things can reduce your rate.

I used to work for a major beverage brand and driving the company car was part of my sales job. The first thing they taught us in any defensive driving class was "Avoid Backing" at all costs. Lots of avoidable accidents happen with backing up. Some things just stick in your head forever and that's one of them for me.

I can try that. What goes through my mind, though, is IF there is a way to lower my rates WHY didn't they think it would be good customer relations to let me know this?? I will ask them, but they would have to come waaaaaay down in price for me to consider staying with them.

We have USAA because Ray was in the Coast Guard and their insurance is so amazing and cheap. Cheaper than anybody else and very easy to buy....Rays auto insurance went down $45 a month when he changed from Geico. Great company. If your father was in the service you qualify or you are married to a service person.

I have Mercury car insurance. My son is the biggest penny pincher in the world. He has Mercury, and checks with other companies every year before his premium is due. I have a 2002 Taurus wagon and I only get PL and PD, and also uninsured motorists. makes it a lot cheaper. They don't give you anything anyways for the old cars like mine.

I try to park that way too, redsquirrel, but lately see more & more signs saying to not do the back in parking. I think it's so license plates can be seen clearly to be ran, or so the back of the car is better seen in case of break ins thru the trunk.

I also try to avoid left turns in busy places where there is no light. I rather go rights around a block or go to a light.
Last time I backed my car in to park I got it stole, '82 Olds in the Sacramento area
back in early nineties. When the cops found it two months later it was lowered, had little fat tires on it...it was a lowrider! Drove it straight to a car lot and sold it for 500 bucks. I hated that car from the beginning.

If you are interested in the report I've been referring to it is the American Association for Justice report on The 10 Worst Insurance Companies In America. "How they raise premiums, deny claims, and refuse insurance to those who need it most." https://www.justice.org/docs/TenWorstInsuranceCompanies.pdf

I only read 4 or 5 of the top reasonings.....none seem to deal with autos, tho. Mostly health, disability and property. (Ins. companies get away with a lot, for sure. )

It's really sad that companies can't give straight answers to help customers which would come back to help the companies. Their bottom line is only money & getting it in any way from us. It makes it hard to shop around for what you think is best too. :(

I never ever back my car into a parking spot. What I do is park where I can pull through one spot into another. Or I park where there is one row of parking that is open on each end. When you live in a small town / rural area like I do, there is no street parking. All stores, plazas, office buildings, etc. have their own parking lots.

Back