Cell phones, etc.

I have a smart phone, and I use it for all the goodies. Internet, facebook, twitter, games with friends, games without friends, etc. Also I log 100+ miles to work sites everyday, so I definitely need it as a phone (though I admit when I have to make a call it takes me a second to remember to hit the "PHONE" button LOL). My friends and I usually text. BUT when I am in the store, if I am checking my phone, I pull aside so people can get around me (one of my big pet peeves!!). I don't use my phone while driving (I rode with a friend to Minneapolis and I cringed because he hardly put his phone down!! Around curves on the highway, while it was raining, AT NIGHT!!!) though, I think that is just plain common sense.

I have been in groups where we're all checking our phones, it does not bother me...because nine times out of ten, we end up sharing whatever was being talked/chatted/blogged/shared and having a good laugh about it.

Jason, some people don't have common sense.

I hope the next time you ride with your friend, you'll drive instead.
It was scary to me reading what you went through.

JS - That IS a very powerful message and one that brings it straight to not ust the students but to anyone passing by, visiting, interested, etc. What a great way, but senseless way to get a message through.

Poirot - Yes, my eyes watered a bit in that video. We are back home but for many parts of the city and surrounding area it is rebuilding your life and home. Thank you for asking. My parents were up in High River (20 minutes south of Calgary and probably the hardest hit) helping family friends clean their place and help them get ready for their son's wedding this past weekend. Their son has lost everything and still was not allowed access to his home. He did sneak past police to go into his home though and picked up his new bride's wedding dress and a few things thank you gifts for the wedding party and family. He got caught on the way out but the police turned a blind eye and said they understood. The wedding was awesome filled with memories of the situation and all of the community and area spirit. The bride's family flew out from the east coast and played some goold ole Maritimer music. All in all it came together with help from family, friends, and strangers.

I remember seeing some very graphic videos when I was in high school. I can't remember if they were shown for the entire school or just for drivers ed students. Even though they were in black and white film, it was still pretty graphic. This was in the '70s and, unfortunately, I don't remember it changing my habits back then. So, yeah, JS, I think a lot of kids just shrug and go on about their way.

And the reason is because they all believe they are in control, that it would happen to other people, not to them.
Texting by anyone is outlawed in Wisconsin. And teen drivers are positively prohibited from talking on their phone while driving except to report an emergency. There had better not be a cell phone anywhere when a teen is behind the wheel.
Got say, wish I had a fake phone that takes pictures, just to hold up and pretend to take a photo of a driver texting or talking on the phone while driving, like Muzzaman.

Thanks for posting Muzzaman. I'll be passing this along.

I never heard those stories before.

There is ring tone that sounds like how land phones ring.
Strange to hear in stores and public.

And I agree. The topic of this thread is the use of cell phones, whether texting or talking,in public, when one is supposed to be driving, eating, at a social gathering, the movies, theatre, etc. etc. I don't know how it got into any "side effects" issues that may or may not be true.
I realize that some folks just don't even realize or think twice about being rude, or disturbing others.But it is hard for me to grasp that their friends or family, who knows the person is at work, in church, on the road, etc,. will call them anyway. (once had a nun, whose sister KNEW she was in church, directing the choir at that time on a Sunday, the phone goes off loud and clear during the service. That nun was soooo embarrassed, not only that her sister did this, but she herself had not turned her phone off in the church)

:clap: :clap: THAT is too funny. Glad he has a sense of humor. It was happening so often at ours that when a lay person does the "greeting" before the service starts, welcoming everyone, it includes a request to make sure all cell phones and "electronic devices" are turned off.

Back