Cell phones, etc.

That future generation reminds me of the movie Idiocracy, it's a disgusting movie, but.....

I have a Windows Nokia Phone and up until about 2 years ago, I was so anti-cell phone that I refused to text. However, since then, I have cancelled my landline and just have my cell phone and am quite enjoying the texting. However, having said that I am very aware and put off by the rudeness and disregard of some people when you are out with them in the way they have no problem answering a call, texting in your prescense, checking their facebook messages, etc. If a call comes through that you are expecting or you know will be important, by all means, I have no problem with whoever I am with to excuse themselves to take that call. That's reasonable and respecting the company that you are with. So when I am out with friends, I ensure that I do put my cell phone away and give the time and attention to whoever I am with because I want the same and as I stated, I do consider it rude to be fiddling and checking your cell phone all the time.

I often ponder what did we do before cell phones and computers?? For telephones, we left messages for each other and we checked those messages when we returned home whether it was an, a day, a week or longer, we wrote letters (well not me) to each, if we were meeting up with someone we ensured that we were all on the same page as to where and what time to meet and we would at that specified time.

Society has become so demanding of instant answers, solutions and gratification that I feel and believe that this is a contributing factor in why younger generations expect that everything is handed to them and so impatient. Not all but a large percentage. Unless people learn to actually save up for that big ticket item or have been taught that sometimes we just have to be patient and wait for an answer or phone call, it is not going to get any better. I sometimes think Y2K may have been kind of a good thing if it had happened because we would've gone back to the day when we had to wait for documents by mail or courier, things would have slowed down some, we wouldn't have this need for urgency to have instant gratification. Our parents worked hard for their home and the life that they gave so many of us but the attitude of so many younger generations is the expectations of what their life SHOULD be like when they leave home and too many just are not prepared or mature enough anymore to make it on their own.

Anyways, I kind of went off on a tangent other things but that's my cents on cell phones and the way technology has changed our demands and expectations.

Oh and HAPPY 4TH OF JULY :wine: to my neighbours south of the 49th. We had just had Canada Day on July 1st and was great weather and fun. It was +35 C.

I think the driver in the last picture is texting too. Her hands aren't on the steering wheel.

Maybe the pictures were done to show how bad things are with those #@#@ phones

I can't stand it when I see people texting while driving. A few times while stopped at a light, I've seen people texting and have put up my phone to the window to make them think that I've taken a picture of them texting while driving. LOL! One time this girl thought she was so busted because you could literally mouth out what expletive word she yelled out then threw her phone on the seat. LOL! LOL! LOL! She wasn't happy!! It is against the law in Alberta to text or speak with a handheld device while driving and is a $500 fine if caught.

I agree! Great idea, Muzzaman. If everyone would start doing that, maybe it would make a difference. Accidents can happen even when we're doing our best to be careful. It is so senseless to add to the risk by using electronic devices while driving.

I have one step up from a no extras cell phone It is a flip phone but I can take pictures with it. I finanily started texting 2 or 3 years ago I have to hit the a 3 yimes to get a c and so on down the alaphbet. My cell phone does not go into church.( well once or twice when my Mother in law was in the hospital) I will NOT text and drive. I will pull off the road to do that, and I ussualy pull off to ansewer or tell whom ever I will call them back when I get parked.
At church I once asked my sunday school class If you left the house and realized you forgot your phone would you go back for it? Most said yes. What if that made you late to Church? hmmm!

I pull off the road to make a regular phone call with my 'dumb" phone.
how many people do that? too many don't.

I do have a Bluetooth ear piece for my phone. I mostly use it at home because my cell phone is my only phone and if it is charging, I am tethered to the wall with a short cord. I can make and receive calls while driving by just pressing a button, voice activated, but I don't even like to do that. It's much better to pull over for me. I only text out of necessity, to a couple of people I couldn't talk to otherwise. One friend of mine is deaf, so texting is great for him! My phone is not a smart phone, though it does have a slide-out keyboard. It's not as easy for me to text as it is for someone with a smartphone, apparently.

Once I was getting a text from Hubby while I was driving and I have a super long ringtone for text messages (I made it a long one so I'd be more likely to hear it instead of a short chime since Hubby would rather text than call)...and I just grabbed the phone to swipe the screen and get the ringtone to stop (I didn't even take my eyes off the road) and Annabelle told me, "Mama, no texting while driving!"

i saw a picture online once with a stack of cell phones on the table.... whenever friends go out to eat, they stack their cell phones in the middle of the table.
If someone dares to get their phone, they have to pay for everyones food. If nobody gets their phone by the end of the meal, everyone pays for their own food. At home, it could be whoever grabs their phone has to do the dishes or clean the table, etc. I thought that was a neat idea--- but my family has always been good about leaving the cell phones off and away while we are eating.

We are totally guilty of finding ourselves all crashed on the sofa in the evening on a laptop or phone LOL. eh, it happens. it's not the end of the world, and we never offend each other by doing it. And we would put it away if spoken to. I, too, keep my phone on silent most of the time. I don't want my ringtone to offend anyone- especially if I'm busy and cannot get to it. :) I have voicemail and it's ok to call back.
I also do my best not to talk on it while driving, and I never text while driving. It's hard enough to figure out texting sitting still, much less trying to do anything else at the same time LOL... when i get off work every day, i sit in the parking lot and call my husband to chit chat... on occasion I will go ahead and start driving then, but we don't talk long at all. its "whats for dinner" "see ya". lol. i see way too many people texting while driving... so scary. I worry for the day my children are out on the road with people out there texting and driving.

Once, on TV, this program had one of those things, where you are sitting in a car, driving, experiencing all the traffic, scenery, signs, hazards, etc. Only you were in a stationery vehicle. They had people who always talked on their cell phones while driving, had no problem with it, felt they were always in complete control, aware, etc.
So, they have this guy driving along, the wife calls, asks him to pick up some bread, milk, and one other thing. He is o.k. honey, no problem, will do, and smacks right into a van coming out of a side street.
This man was shocked. He admitted he never saw it, tho it was plain as can be, no trees in the way.
And the thing was, he did not even have a phone in his hand. Both hands on steering wheel, phone mounted on dashboard with speaker phone on. We never know, and I tell you, it made a big impression on me. I am rarely on my phone, no one ever calls me on it, but if I make a call, I pull over on a side road, into a gas station, or am in the parking lot. (And of course, the accident that man had was just simulated, but he really got shook up.
And then there was the young teen girl, who constantly texted while driving, said she was always in control. The camera showed her, no hands on the wheel, eyes not on the road, but on what she was texting. Yep, her simulation had her hitting another vehicle head on.

I have a "smart phone" and a ipad...and all that other crap that i never even use. I actually do remember before we had cell phones and used to use payphones! now there isnt a working one around...I do however find it very rude when people are constantly on their phones in restaurants and at dinner tables and even driving!What is this world coming to if you cant put your cell phone down for 5 minutes to have a actual converstaion!but I guess where I live thats just how it is

i saw a picture online once with a stack of cell phones on the table.... whenever friends go out to eat, they stack their cell phones in the middle of the table.
If someone dares to get their phone, they have to pay for everyones food. If nobody gets their phone by the end of the meal, everyone pays for their own food. At home, it could be whoever grabs their phone has to do the dishes or clean the table, etc. I thought that was a neat idea--- but my family has always been good about leaving the cell phones off and away while we are eating.

I smiled as I read about leaving the phones on the table and having to pay if they used them during the meal. It reminded me of the old western movies, where the cowboys had to leave their guns at the door when they entered the saloon. But I think it is a wonderful idea for the cell phones!

I also like your idea about using some form of that technique at home, for meals. If kids don't learn to use some restraint at home, they don't have a chance of being able to do so when out. Great ideas, DaysLady!

I don't know how to do something. I tried to reply to a post made by DaysLady on the previous page. (At least on my setup it was page 2, while the total posts end on page 3). I clicked on "reply" and edited out what I didn't need and put in my response. But instead of going to the end of the posts, it went right after her post on page 2. I've tried this a couple of other times and the same thing happened. It didn't happen before we got the new system and it used to work right then but doesn't now. What am I doing wrong?

It does appear on page 3, OC....and I think what happens is initially YOU see it on the page on which you replied.....but when you leave and go elsewhere, you can see it does appear at the end where it is supposed to.

Back