Classic TV Shows

Heroic Muse

Reaction score
Website
www.ftmcoachjack.com
A couple of years ago, after watching George Burns in Oh God (my local PBS station runs classic movies Saturday nights at 9), I became interested in his sitcom from the 1950s and found some episodes on Youtube. That quickly led me to look up Jack Benny as well, and I absolutely love The Jack benny Program, at least the ones that are sitcom-y (I have little tolerance for the ones that are actually variety show sketches.)

Moving from the 1950s to 1970s, I have been a fan of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and All in the Family since middle school. I also am really really excited that The Carol Burnett Show is coming to DVD in the spring.

What TV shows do you like that would be considered classics today?

Great topic! When I was a kid, Nick at Nite and then TV Land used to show classic tv shows from the 60s and 70s:

The Patty Duke Show
The Donna Reed Show
Leave It To Beaver
The Brady Bunch
Three's Company

My all time favorite show is Little House On The Prairie. It used to air in syndication as well as did The Brady Bunch.

Sad these shows don't air on cable anymore and a lot of them are not on DVD or available streaming either.

Little House on the Prairie is responsible for me being a reader :rotfl: When I was in first grade I was so obsessed with it that my mom got me the books it was based on and I fell in love with reading them :) I had the diary too. I wish it was still in syndication today; I miss it. I also used to really like Eight is Enough and of course the Brady Bunch.

Leave it to Beaver is available for streaming on Netflix, or at least it was last summer :) I watched most of the first season. But yeah, most of these aren't available like they should be. I also remember watching Beverly Hillbillies, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie on TBS when I was in sixth or seventh grade.

One of my local channels shows "Antenna TV" in the mornings. It shows
"Mister Ed' & "Burns and Allen" early in the mornings. A lot
of other things I don't have time to watch.

Thanks to Nick at Nite, TV Land, and when I was younger TBS I loved to watch Bewitched, The Brady Bunch, Mary Tyler Moore, Leave it to Beaver, I Dream of Jeannie, Three's Company, Little House on the Prairie, etc.,

When I was I teen I'd rather watch these show then MTV. Some of my classmates probably would have thought I was strange.

I was too young to have watched it during its original run, but when I was growing up one of the local stations began late night weekend broadcasts of Your Show of Shows with Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Carl Reiner, Howard Morse and a list of talent that would define comedy for a full generation. Its the type of humor that never ages. I'm not just talking chuckles, but major belly laughs.

Your Show of Shows was absolutely classic, funny TV, and many folks would not go out on Sat. nite until the show was over. LOL
There ARE some shows still in syndication, but are on in the wee, wee hours. Saw that the Brady Bunch was on TV Land last night, at midnight or maybe 1 a.m.

I loved the Andy Griffith show, Dick Van Dyke show, Happy Days, LaVerne & Shirley. Playhouse 90 was a must see. They showed some of these in reruns for several years, but, I guess, they all take their turns. Some of those cable channels that would schedule these old shows have gone into producing their own new series.

There was a network called HUB network that just went off the air. It had been airing old shows as well. We need another network that just airs classic tv shows and nothing else.

We have MeTV, love it. Old Twilight Zone and Star Trek episodes galore!

Soap is a favourite of mine that I'd call a classic. No show after 1980 counts for my purposes though. Nothing that I watched first-run can EVER be a classic, that would make me feel old. :wink:

Dallas goes on the classic list, because I only saw the last episode in first-run. Over a decade later when it was syndicated is when I got into it.

Oh Oh Oh!!! One of my favorite rerun passions of all time... The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (the first two seasons and the the short fourth season were great, I skip the third, it was truly awful). Another major crush on David McCallum (Illya). There's a major feature film release coming up soon staring Henry Cavill and Amie Hammer.

Also The Thriller with Boris Karloff, I own the DVDs and those old black and white episodes are truly creepy, without the gore that's thrown in these days for effect.

I'll also add the Alfred Hitchcock Hour. Those shows still stand up after all this time. Too bad anthology show are so rare these days.

Back