Days and recasting classic characters!

ErasofDiMeras

Reaction score
Me, personally, I try to keep an open mind but sometimes I can't handle it. They better not try and recast Nicole or Sami ever! They recast Ciara which 1, 2, 3, cheers, excellent job there okay STOP. Now Kristen, I just don't know how much I can take of that. I definitely won't take a brunette Kristen seriously.

Last edited:
Sometimes, shows have no choice. If you think about it, Will has been played by several actors, so has Abby. Matt Ashford is the 3rd Jack Deveraux and truly made the character his own. Mike Horton has been played by 14-16 different actors., Shawn & Belle by a few different ones.

While sometimes it is hard to get used to someone else in a role, heck, stage plays do it all the time. We get ingrained with loving the one person in the role (Mary Martin as Peter Pan, Julie Andrews, Sound of Music & Mary Poppins....the list goes on) but we have seen others perform those same shows and very well. Hello Dolly comes to mind, which I saw with Carol Channing, that role was HERS for sure, watched the movie with Barbra Streisand, on PBS with Pearl Bailey....Bette Midler has played her, and currently, on Broadway, it is Bernadette Peters. Plua a myriad of others in various cities, road shows, local small town or high school productions.....

I do agree that Eileen Davidson was Kristen.....but to me, she owned the other characters, Susan, Sister Moira, Tommy.....And she was unavailable, evidently so the show decided to recast.

Am certainly willing to give any actor a chance, so for me....especially since others think highly of Ms. Haiduk, I will wait and see.

Let me add that I really see no need for Kristen at all on the show....but, I don't write it, so.......

The thing is, they could easily write a new character to do whatever it is they want done. They retcon all the time anyway. Look at Vivian, who, we learn now, gave birth to a baby, was told it died by Ivan, who gave it for adoption, blah, blah. Maggie had eggs harvested and stolen (at time when it had not been done, lol). Nicole had eggs harvested, used by Chloe to produce Holly. Steve has a son he never knew he had, by Ava. Daniel had a daughter, never knew he had. Maggie had one as a teen, gave up for adoption.....the list goes on. They don't need Kristen, Whatever the story, they could invent a character for it. Really wish Kristen was someone who stayed gone, dead, whatever.

I really don't mind recasts. As long as the writing is good. Alas, that's where Days is in need of.

So the fact that Kristen is being recast doesn't bother me at all. The fact that she is coming back does, though. Because with Kristen, it's going to be more of the same, I'm sure. Her last appearance was really too much already.

I don't mind recast as much as sometimes they tend to change the character when they recast. I understand each actor gives the character something if their own but I'm taking more about the writers. This is when I think they should have just went with a new character entirely. There are plenty of Hortons, Bradys, etc. that were babies or small children when they left.

I get recasting when it comes to a child growing into an adult - that's fine with Ciara (the new actress is perfect!), and especially with Will, as his character really did age reasonably accurately on the show. Kristen, though, that's going to be hard to watch, because Eileen Davidson was fantastic in the role, and really did own all the others (Susan, et al). I hope that they don't try to do the alternate people with this recasting, until they could get the real thing back in place.

Interesting though, that they recast even though she had absolutely come available. Makes you wonder what happened there.

Eileen Davidson just recently announced leaving Y&R, so evidently was not available for when "Kristen" had to start filming. Days keeps everything very tightly under wraps, with their filming 6 mos ahead of time. So they probably already had the "Kristen" scenes filmed and done way before the announcement.

I suppose I'll try and give this new Kristen a chance. I mean they had recast Bo and it sort of worked out, kind of. Billie has been recast 3 times, Julie Pinson being my favorite portrayal. To be honest I think the worst recast on the history of Days was Belle, this actress only played for like 3 days, she was THAT bad LOL. That's how we got Martha Madison as Belle Black. Guy Wilson recast as Will is borderline to the top of the worst list in my opinion.

Sometimes the characters tend to change based on the actor/actress. Kate being a prime example, Deborah Adair was a much softer Kate while Lauren Koslow has made her much more edgy. Eve played by Charlotte Ross was much more naïve and manipulative while Kassie DePaiva plays her more witty and calculating.

They had NEVER EVER even consider recasting Jack Deveraux. The wrath of Jack fans would flood their phone lines, email inboxes, twitter, texts and forums!!! :angry:

I recall after Matt Ashford (Jack) left one time, they recast with an actor named Mark Valley. Talented actor but never really felt right.

Some recasts work, while others not so much. A few of the more successful recasts include Mary Beth Evans as Kayla. Kayla was first played by Catherine Mary Stewart from 1982-1983. I have seen some Youtube clips with her and she was pretty good, but Mary Beth Evans made the role her own.

I also think Billy Flynn has made a good Chad recast, and I actually liked Casey Deidrick when he played Chad.

The new Ciara played by Victoria Konefal has been a great recast, as Vivian Jovanni just could not portray Ciara the way I felt she should have been played.

I also like Brandon Beemer and Martha Madison as the "adult" Shawn and Belle.

I do agree that some recasts just do not fit the role. I did not care for Guy Wilson's portrayal of Will or even care for Marci Miller as Abby. I have nothing against the actors, I just don't think they fit the roles they were cast for.

However, I give all new characters or recasts a chance. More often than not, it is not the actors or actresses that turn me off, but the stories the writers come up with that show them in a worst possible light.

Rob Wilson (Ben) was also a great recast as was Greg Vaughan (Eric). I like Marci Miller (Abby) but I agree that the writing for Abby changed significantly once she took over the role as it did when Eric Martsolf (Brady) took over his role. Unpopular opinion but I also like Josh Taylor (Roman).

On the other hand, I think Kassie Depaiva (Eve) is a total miscast and should have played Clyde's ex and Jordan, Ben and Paige's mother instead of Eve.

Agree about Ben, and definitely Eric. Never thought about how the writing changed when Marci Miller replaced Kate Mansi as Abby, but you are right, Heather, it did. Definitely a personality transplant. Always have liked Roman, and admit I was not watching when he played another character on the show, but for crying out loud, he has played Roman far longer, many more years.

I do also feel Kassie DePaiva was not the right choice to play Eve, but she is a wonderful actress & singer, and they easily could have had her play a new character, a different one. Heck, if Eve can come on saying she was married to Deimos, after she brings out some contract with Jack to get royalties on his book.....then heck, why could she not have been Jane Doe, who helped Jack with whatever back in the day, and in gratitude, he said if he ever wrote a book, he wanted to share the royalties with her, and wrote it down as a promise. I mean writers are constantly coming up with improbable things, and if John can have a son named Paul, and Steve one named Tripp.......then Kassie DePaiva (Eve) could have had her same storyline but be someone new.

It's funny, Josh Taylor has been Roman for over 20 years, but yet Wayne Northrop (original recipe Roman) will always be the "real" Roman to me. But that's not to say I don't like Josh Taylor as Roman. He's great in the role.

Heck, I still consider Andrea Barber the "real" Carrie, even though she only played the character for a handful of years, before growing up and going to Full House as Kimmy Gibbler.

I suppose we all do that.....Heck, Wayne Northrup was NEVER Roman to me....because when I began watching, Drake Hogestyn was Roman. Heck, Bo was played by Robert Kelker Kelly, so I had never seen Peter Reckell as Bo, and Hope was not even on the show. (which is why there was Billie!) And speaking of Billie, when the show recasted at times, Julie Pinson did the best job, in my opinion.

I liked Krista Allen as Billie. Never liked Lisa Rinna as Billie.

Peter Reckell as Bo. Never liked Robert Kelker as Bo.

Kassie DePaiva as Eve.

Kate Mansi as Abigail. Never ever liked Marci Miller as Abigail.

Back