Days and recasting classic characters!

About the only thing I would object to at this point is if they recast a "Steve" that would adhere to a once a week appearance, or if they recast trying to bring back Stefano. Both of those would be a huge no-no.

I would love it if they let Kyle Lowder be Brady again, though I do love Eric Martsolf as an actor, just not as Brady.

I loved Krista Allen as Billie. She brought something fun to the role, and she fit with Bo's character better, though I always rooted for Bo and Hope.

I was too young to understand the devastation behind the Wayne Northrop (Roman) recast. Though looking back on old scenes, he was wonderful as Roman. But I love Roman as he is now.

I remember the Bo recast from when I was a kid; and when Peter Reckell reprised the role, it actually was a new "Bo" for me. But of course I loved him.

No Jack Deveraux is better than Matthew Ashford's portrayal.

Vivian Jovanni as Ciara didn't bother me like it did other people. But I love the recast and think she goes better with Ben than the other one would have.

Marci Miller grew on me as Abigail, but I'm so excited Kate Mansi is reprising the role, even if it's for a short time.

The Shawn and Belle recasts hurt me deeply. Jason Cook and Kirsten Storms will always be Shawn and Belle to me.

Though Patrick Muldoon was the classic Austin and I loved him back in the day, Austin Peck is MY Austin and always will be.

So really, it depends on the circumstances. Sometimes I can go with it. Other times, it just doesn't work. It's not even a real insult to the actor, really. They just have to fit the character correctly.

Last edited:
Sometimes EVERYONE accepts and is delighted with a recast......and then there are the ones that some love, some can take or leave, some don't like at all.

It is not always the actor, but the material given, or the fact that an actor is hired for a certain role, and would have fit a different one much better. For instance, I really like Eric Martsolf, but he never has fit the role of Brady. Besides being older than the character..he just did not fit the kind of person Brady had been. And then, when Chloe came back, the two characters never had a scene together, despite being the star crossed lovers they had been. Finally, they meet and have 2 minutes of conversation, before never seeing each other again.

I do agree that it seems impossible for some characters to be recast ever, but.....it has been done. If only the writers would keep the character's traits when it happens.

The thing is......she is only about 14 now. A bit young for the Tripp/Claire/Theo crowd.
They would've had to leave the Scooby Gang as young teens to have kept Lauren Boles as Ciara.

Olivia Keegan (Claire) is only 17 or 18 and can pull off a year or two younger easily. Technically Claire is about 18 months older than Ciara so this could have worked and they could have had Ciara jealous of Claire, a la Sami and Carrie back in the day. There's obviously no turning back now unless they bring her back as an adult in a few years or as a new teen character. I'm very happy with Victoria Konefal (Ciara).

Kassie DePaiva (Eve) lives midwest,

She lives in NY or CT.

As for actors commuting, I don't think there is any current actor on the canvas who would turn down a contract role due to a commute. Maybe Louise Sorel (Vivian) or Paul Telfer (Xander) but that's it. His wife is a huge Broadway star right now so that limits his ability to move permanently.

Olivia Keegan (Claire) is only 17 or 18 and can pull off a year or two younger easily. Technically Claire is about 18 months older than Ciara so this could have worked and they could have had Ciara jealous of Claire, a la Sami and Carrie back in the day. There's obviously no turning back now unless they bring her back as an adult in a few years or as a new teen character. I'm very happy with Victoria Konefal (Ciara).
That could've definitely worked with a more grown Lauren Boles as a slightly aged-up Ciara, with Claire being just a little older, like Carrie and Sami.

Olivia Rose Keegan (Claire) is 18, Lauren Boles (young Ciara) is 14. The show was so anxious to SORAS the kids....and they now are all gone except for Claire. Ciara was recast.

I must say, though I hate Claire's character, Olivia Keegan does a great job playing her. I was hoping that Claire's character would be more like her mother used to be, before that horrible separation storyline with her and Shawn. At least in recent episodes she is showing a little shame in her actions. The actress is bringing a lot to those scenes, in my humble opinion.

The other SORAS characters (Theo, the first "teen" Ciara and Joey), while their performances didn't necessarily "move" me more than a few times, I miss. I'd rather see young actors and actresses have room to grow in their acting than see a recast shuffle every six months when they don't immediately work. Vivian Jovanni (Ciara) was blasted and bullied for her performance; but people seem to forget that there was criticism of Kristian Alfonso (Hope) when she first started out.

Actors sometimes need time to establish themselves, and it doesn't feel like they get much of a chance to anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the kids were SORAS'd as the writers were hoping to get another "Last Blast" group, which was very successful the first time. Alas, they just could not write material to fit the group created. Those kids were all on over a year or two, there WAS improvement. I thought Theo did very well with the autism, Joey definitely improved with time. But the writers just could not create the material needed to keep the audience interested in the group.

We all see things differently, even if we see some things the same. There was story for a couple of the youngsters that were just beyond their capabilities - it takes a while to be able to really show various emotions well, & some actors are better at it than others. And of course, with the way Days now films, there just is no chance for learning. Rehearsals? Actors are on their own. So they can interpret a scene much differently, at times, than was intended by the writer, or wanted by the director.

Back