Days: Beyond Salem - chit-chat, plot comments, etc

Ciara is wearing her over tight underwear, or teddy, or whatever it is supposed to be. Egads. I realize this episode is "setting up" the following episodes. I loved the credits, which listed one of the other writers as having written this story/episode, not the headwriter.
It also does seem they are using a lot of "travel film" for showing the different cities, give them credit for it. My computer blacked out on occasion, plus I had to leave. I did not like that all kinds of instructions, etc. kept appearing on the screen, also NO CC, so missed dialogue when characters spoke very fast.

posted this in the other beyond salem topic. not sure which one i should use!

My opinions:
Don't like political references. They could have chosen a famous actor or singer instead of the Obamas.

Loving the New Sonny. I like him better than the original.

Cringe as soon as I see this version of Billie Reed. Just don't like this version.

Like the different cities. It's quite a pleasant change.

The above starts several minutes in.....The intro gives all the various characters their set up as to where they are, the different cities, etc. John & Marlena w/Shane explaining the whole set up. Princess Gina stole the peacock years ago, they finally got it back, minus the very precious & expensive gems, so...that is how the various couples get drawn into being involved. Am going to try and watch it again later on, as I know I missed dialogue. (some setups seem a bit far fetched, but....we will see)

In the whole explanation to Ben on how Ciara knows Billie — there’s not a mention that Billie is the mother of Ciara’s half sister? I mean really?

Just finished watching. Not sure if this has been mentioned or if this is the right place for my comment. Did anyone else notice how much Lani's dress looked like the painting in Paulina's apartment? Then did you notice the black and white smaller version hanging in the room that John and Marlena were in? I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, just interested me.

Just finished watching. Not sure if this has been mentioned or if this is the right place for my comment. Did anyone else notice how much Lani's dress looked like the painting in Paulina's apartment? Then did you notice the black and white smaller version hanging in the room that John and Marlena were in? I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, just interested me.
I noticed the same thing - it must mean something.

Yes I noticed Lani’s dress looked very similar to a painting hanging in Paulina’s Miami home.
I also noticed Abe (or James Reynolds) has a hand tremor. In his first scene when entering the house. I hope it’s not Parkinson’s.
I liked the outdoor footage of Alamania and other cities. But I didn’t like the “Melrose Place” - 90’s feel- to the transition pieces and music. Even the opening sequence where they have all the actors names made me feel I was watching a 90’s show like Melrose place or Beverly Hills 90210. Surely someone could have done a better job with this aspect of production.
And to make it feel more like Melrose place they listed Lisa Rinna as “special guest star” at the end - just like they did with Heather Locklear from MP. And why, please tell me, is she a special guest star? Is she more special than Charles Shaughnessy (Shane) or Christie Clark (Carrie)? Speaking of Carrie- she looked great - she never ages! Austin is still a meat head and a poor actor. But I love Carrie.
Chad looked great too! Super handsome. And the new Sonny will take some getting used to. I always liked the original actor, Freddie Smith. But the new actor is doing a good job thus far.
I wish we could see the kids- Noah Reed and Ari Horton. Would be fun to see what age they are now.
I like the new sets and furniture and art work. Seems they had a decent budget for Beyond Salem. Maybe they will use these in the regular DOOL scenes in the future.

"Beyond Salem" Episode # 101:

101...9/6/21: (Episode Length: 48:30)
Cast: Abe, Anna, Ben, Billie, Chad, Ciara, Eli, John, Lani, Marlena, Paulina, Shane, Sonny, Tony, Will, Austin, Carrie, Leo, Nola, Frank, Rodney, Princess Gina Double.
Sets: Alamainian Museum, Alamainian Musuem Corridor, Fuse Box, John & Marlena's Zurich Hotel Room, New Orleans Square, Antique Shop Exterior, Paulina's Mansion, Will & Sonny's Apartment & Corridor, Carrie & Austin's Townhouse & Corridor, Auction House, Phoenix Hotel Room & Corridor, ON LOCATION: Outdoor Cafe; Stock Footage Exteriors.

ACT ONE
Alamainian Museum/Alamainian Museum Corridor/Fuse Box (Princess Gina Double)
Zurich Hotel Room (John, Marlena, Shane)
New Orleans Square (Ben, Ciara, Xs)
Antique Shop Ext. (Ben, Ciara, Xs)
Paulina's Mansion (Paulina, Abe, Eli, Lani)
Will & Sonny's Apt. & Corr (Chad, Will, Sonny)
Carrie & Austin's Townhouse & Corr (Anna, Tony, Carrie, Austin)

ACT TWO
Antique Shop Ext. (Ben, Ciara, Nola, Xs)

ACT THREE
Will & Sonny's Apt. (Chad, Will, Sonny)
Carrie & Austin's Townhouse (Anna, Tony, Carrie, Austin)
Antique Shop Ext. (Ben, Ciara, Nola, Xs)

ACT FOUR
Will & Sonny's Apt. (Chad, Sonny)
Antique Shop Ext./New Orleans Square (Ben, Ciara, Billie, Xs)

ACT FIVE
Carrie & Austin's Townhouse (Anna, Tony, Austin)
New Orleans Square (Ben, Ciara, Billie, Xs)

ACT SIX
Zurich Hotel Room (John, Marlena)

ACT SEVEN
Carrie & Austin's Townhouse (Carrie, Austin)
Auction House (Tony, Anna, John, Marlena, Xs)
Phoenix Hotel Room & Corr (Chad, Sonny, Leo)
ON LOCATION: Outdoor Cafe (Paulina, Abe, Eli, Lani, Frank, Rodney, Xs)

CREDITS
Starring:
James Reynolds as Abe Carver
Deidre Hall as Marlena Black
Lamon Archey as Eli Grant
Drake Hogestyn as John Black
Sal Stowers as Lani Price Grant
Robert Scott Wilson as Ben Weston
Billy Flynn as Chad DiMera
Jackee Harry as Paulina Price
Thaao Penghlis as Tony DiMera
Leann Hunley as Anna DiMera
Victoria Konefal as Ciara Weston
Lisa Rinna as Billie Reed
Chandler Massey as Will Horton
Austin Peck as Austin Reed
Christie Clark as Carrie Brady Reed
Greg Rikaart as Leo Stark
Charles Shaughnessy as Shane Donovan
Zach Tinker as Sonny Kiriakis
Ellen Kartsen as Nola
Thai "The Thaiga" Edwards as Frank
Edward Gelhaus as Rodney
Sasha Higgins - Princess Gina Double

Executive Producer: Ken Corday
Co-Executive Producer: Albert Alarr
Senior Producer: Janet Spellman-Drucker
Producer: Randy Dugan
Developed by: Ron Carlivati
Directed by: Sonia Blangiardo-Goins

Associate Writer: Ryan Quan
Script Editor: Fran Myers
Story by: Jeanne Marie Ford
Teleplay by: Joanna Cohen
Staff Writers: Lorraine Broderick, Rebecca McCarty, Carolyn Culliton, Katherine Schock, Richard Culliton, Elizabeth Snyder, David Kreizman, Dave Ryan
Production Coordinator: Sara Peterson
Production Manager: Jeff Voorhees
Theme by: Ken Corday, D. Brent Nelson
Music Composed by: Ken Corday, D. Brent Nelson
Music Directors: D. Brent Nelson, Paul F. Antonelli
Associate Directors: Joseph H. Lumer, Michael Fiamingo
Stage Managers: Lucy Yalenian, Jessie Harrison, Sara Peterson
Production Associates: Holly Metts, Alexis Straiten
Property Master: Steve Dempsey
Production Designer: Tom Early
Art Director: Danielle Mullen
Assistant Art Directors: Adele Fenner, Bronte Campbell, Katelyn Budke
Assistants to the Producers: Adriana Alvarado, Kaylin Stewart, Jennifer Werwage, Elizabeth Messick
Testing Coordinator: Nicholas DeFilippis
Production Finance: Cynthia Aamoth, Terri Lynn Doubet, Bruno Gerardo
Writers' Assistants: Tyler Topits, Kirk Doering
Publicity: Maya Frangie
Digital Content Producer: Kaley Smith
Casting by: Marnie Saitta
Casting Associate: Bob Lambert, C.S.A.
Costume Designer: Richard Bloore
Wardrobe: Jammie Harris, Sara Auhagen, Jennifer Seery, Alix Scott, Michele Jaffe, Mary Lane, Margo Rombough
Makeup Artists: Deidre Decker, Elizabeth Dahl, Karen Dahl, Natalie Thimm, Morgan McDonnell, Glen Gutierrez, Orlando Marin
Hairstylists: Marisa Ramirez, Amber Renick, Armando Licon, Dora Torres, Olajide Elizabeth, Amanda Glaza
Technical Directors: Mike Caruso, John Sizemore
Director of Photography: Vince Steib
Audio: Nick Kleissas
Boom Operators: Harry Young, Stu Rudolph, Victoria Luckey
Cameras: Mark Warshaw, Michael J. Denton, John Bromberek
Post Producer/Supervising Editor/A.D.: Lugh Powers
Post Supervisor/Editor/A.D.: Jenee Muyeau
Additional Editing: Jill Underhill
Post Production Audio: Kevin K. Church
Assistant Editor: Jonathan Amirkhan
Video Tape Operator: Brian Duclos
Senior Video: Alexis Dellar Hanson
Electronic Maintenance: Marko Fox
Special Effects: Gregg Church
Messenger: Rumsin Givargiznia
Stock Footage Provided By: Sony, Motion Elements, Pond 5, Shutterstock, iStock
Produced at The Burbank Studios, A Worthe Real Estate Group Property
Executive in Charge of Production: Mike Russell

Wow - that is a lot of people involved in this one episode! (I know those are probably just listed for all the shows, but even the cast is pretty big for this first show.)

I think this show was laying groundwork, and even if for a few moments , we did see everyone, every city, etc. Will was only a minute, I swear, so was Billie Reed, maybe 2 minutes.
But we saw Ciara, Ben, Billie, John, Marlena, Shane, Tony , Anna, Austin, Carrie, Will, Sonny , Chad, Paulina, Abe, Lani, Eli, Leo. No idea if all will be seen every day........

They really did well with the stock footage they used to indicate various cities.

I enjoyed seeing some old favorite characters and having some new sets and sights. I hope they can bring some of the new visuals to the main show. I'm super tired of everyone living in the same houses and seeing the same places over and over. The show could really use some freshness there.

I did wonder why international police can't just stop that auction and seize the necklace because it contains stolen gems. I'm tired of plotlines being super threadbare even beyond the usual suspension of disbelief we have for soap operas.

The reference to "Michelle" wasn't political, so much as trying to show the circles that Paulina travels in. They mentioned the name and implied it was the former first lady because of the White House mention. The story didn't even make sense if it were Michelle Obama. It wasn't explicit like the other references to well-known people (Gloria Estefan and Rosie O'Donnell). They were cagey about it, so I think it was meant as a joke like Harrison Lord.

I don't usually like to clothing-shame the women since we are so often enjoying the shirtless men on the show. But I thought Ciara was in a swimsuit at first before realizing that was a dress and they were on a public street. It was really short and tight and low-cut—almost like stretch lace lingerie. It made sense if they were at a nightclub in New Orleans, but for running around during the day while sightseeing? It made no sense at all. I hope she's not going to be chasing bad guys through the streets in that outfit. That dress was already riding up a little just with her walking. If she runs, her bits are going to fall out.

I had to laugh at the house in Phoenix.... so big and all.... yet the entry room is teeny tiny.......

I'm willing to give it another go tomorrow....... but yes the plot is see through....

Loved seeing Leo.... he was a breath of fresh air when he was on..... at times.....

I just saw the first episode.

It was interesting to see gems falling through the hour glass with the sand.

I enjoyed the outdoor scenery shots. Did everyone figure where everyone was the regular sets?
Paulina's safe is the opening of the DiMera tunnels.

It was strange to see Lani's dress as a painting. Did they make her dress and have left over material?

Funny line with Chad and Sonny. Chad said he looked different. Sonny said he had a haircut.

When Billie walked away from Ben and Ciara the first time, she told Ben to leave her relatives alone.

If the ring Paulina has came from Michelle Obama, where did Michelle get it? Especially since it was stolen.

So, John and Marlena and Tony and Anna are after the same necklace. What's going to happen at the auction?

Nice surprise to see Leo.

This was more entertaining and refreshing than the regular show.

I just want to know how Ben thought he was going to buy that jewelry for Ciara? Even as a part time (at best) mechanic at that garage,where in the world would he get the kind of money to buy her an expensive necklace? He could not even buy her an engagement ring, which is why she has that washer ring from the motorcycle.

I liked all of the outdoor scenery too, even if it was panned shots. Didn't they use to do scenes of houses, the hospital on the regular show in the early 2000s? I would like it if they brought that back.

Yes, they used to show outside pictures of some places in Salem.

They once went to Minneapolis, I believe, and filmed a whole bunch of outside, outdoor pics of bldgs., houses, streets, etc., then used them for a while in "Salem", but when NBC reduced the price they paid for Days episodes, and then did it again, the show just no longer showed street scenes, or outsides of homes (wasted time in the episodes)

P.S. I sound like a broken record here, but tho I am signed in as member, are assured I have CC on the Peacock site.........nope, does not show up at all, despite all the assurances. Maybe they don't like my computer. lol. Still have to figure out how to get Beyond on the TV, which is LG which they like, but since I do not have a "smart" phone.......guess they don'tknow how to deal with those folks.

However, I will admit and say......the regular show was boring beyond belief..........so the Beyond was welcomed. While I do not think it was a good idea to run them both at same time, the suits thought it o.k. We will see.
Just remember...........they are separate storylines.........and they will NOT jibe with each other.

Back