Days of Our Lives - Fri., Aug. 5, 2016

Well, I really enjoyed Friday's show, especially the Rafe and Hope scenes. What I had issues with was how yet again, Aiden goes unseen while eavesdropping on what was supposed to be an important classified police/DA conversation, and JJ's over the top anger at Chad. I really haven't been paying much attention to this storyline, but why would Chad be blamed for this? Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Makes you roll your eyes, doesn't it? Even that Aiden could HEAR the conversation from where he was sitting, plus the fact that NEITHER man noticed him. But, of course, sound carries so much father in Salem, whether in a noisy club, restaurant, or even the busy square. :rolleyes:

The Rafe/Hope scenes were truly "filler" with all the other emotional things going on. Except at the end.

I didn't think of it so much as filler, more like the other half of the stuff with Roman/Justin/Aiden/Andre/Abe, culminating with Roman showing up with his news right after they'd finally made a commitment to follow through with their relationship.

This episode was everything I was afraid would happen. If this was a regular weekday episode, this episode would have been okay. But not for a Friday episode and not a Friday episode that was to be the last episode for two weeks with no big cliffhanger.

I did like seeing Adrienne and Lucas, and even Lucas talking to Jennifer about the lawyer she picked out for the custody case against Thomas (not that she's listening). JJ is annoying me with his attitude towards Chad. It was nice to see Jack comforting Jennifer after hearing about Abby, but then Jennifer pushed him away and he just disappeared.

It was very disappointing after his last two appearances were so good. I just wish he would also appear in a scene with JJ as JJ needs some of dad's guidance. Chad broke my heart as usual with his scenes hearing about Abby and later while he was holding Thomas. Pop up Belle was a nice surprise to appear in those scenes with Chad and Thomas.

I do feel that Rafe and Hope were filler today with the movie night and later culminating their relationship. I don't care for them together but I know that their romance will go forward. I just don't think it fit in today which should have been a big buildup for the show after the Olympics. Finding out Aiden is the new DA is NOT a cliffhanger.

The show would have been better ending on Chad and Jennifer finding out about Abigail or even showing a young woman somewhere that gives us the impression Abigail is still alive would have been a good ending. With the show's ratings at an all time low, even with a transitioning writing team, something that would draw people back in after two weeks would have been the way to go.

I do feel that Rafe and Hope were filler today with the movie night and later culminating their relationship. I don't care for them together but I know that their romance will go forward. I just don't think it fit in today which should have been a big buildup for the show after the Olympics. Finding out Aiden is the new DA is NOT a cliffhanger.
I guess the point that I'm seeing is that because you don't care for the relationship, you don't see the culmination of it as important to the show. From my viewpoint, their relationship is a crucial point of Aiden's motivation, therefore major part of that story. Just a different perspective on how we see things.

I said it before, I still feel all of the Rafe/Hope stuff was filler. It is apparent that Aiden still cares for Hope, he said so a dozen times. His motivation is known and known well.

With all that was going on, by comparison, those scenes were just "filler", and could have been reduced to Rafe coming with the sack of Bourne movies, popcorn, and movie night. The sex, etc. could have been excluded, and should have been. Her major surgery was NOT healed, sutures probably still red, tender, etc. It was overkill. And while they were watching, Roman arrives, etc. with the news.

It definitely was NOT a cliffhanger, especially when the show shuts down for 2 weeks, has had ratings falling, so wants to make sure excitement will be building. Personally, I think that scene of those 3 prisoners...Clyde saying to Orpheus that Xander hates all of Salem as much as he does.....5-10 second scene should have been the final scene on Friday. Just that.

I still feel all of the Rafe/Hope stuff was filler
What is filler for one viewer may be enjoyable for another, so this is all just a matter of opinion. For example, many posters love the scenes with ghost Jack, but I hate every scene the actor and the character of Jack, as played by Matthew Ashford, has ever been in. Now that is what I would call, not only filler, but just plain a waste of air time. Just a matter of opinion, of course.

I get that you, and many others, don't like Hope and Rafe together, and that's just fine by me, but many of us like them and want to see more scenes with them.

Last edited:
It is not that I don't like them together, it is that their scenes did not ring true, for some reason, but in this case.....most of their scenes were unnecessary. To me, it was absolutely unthinkable that they would engage in sex so soon after her surgery, abdominal surgery at that. As I mentioned, the movie watching, popcorn, laughing, joking around, even kissing a bit on the sofa would have been fine....and normal.
But the writers wanted to stretch out the time, so we had lights out, dancing & sex. Nope, THAT was all filler.

Well, I for one, do like Hope and Rafe together. And while I agree that it was much too soon after Hope's surgery for her and Rafe to make love, I think it was tastefully done, sweet and romantic. And really, it's not any different than all other characters who were sick and recovered in the blink of an eye. Plus it was refreshing to see them laugh. Not filler to me, but a very much welcome beautiful storyline compared to the gloom and doom and fake drama we have with other characters and storylines.

Speaking of fake drama, talk about a reaction that makes absolutely no sense on JJ's part, yelling at Chad "You killed my sister !". Oh, O.K. :rolleyes: What is that ? So the so called writers rely on this kind of crap to create angst and drama. Again, it makes no sense. Both Jennifer and JJ know Chad did everything he could for Abigail, saved her from Ben, stood by her, they know Abby has PTSD following her ordeal with Ben, and yet, they blame Chad ? That's not even remotely interesting, it's just plain stupid and frustrating. :angry:Not good writing at all. Again, I've said it before and I'll say it again : I put more thought and research in my children's books than these idiot Days "writers" ever will in their "storylines".

P.S. I love Jack, I hate Jennifer, and now I hate JJ too. Bring back Jack for good, get rid of the other two.

JJ.......go back to selling weed. You did a much better job at that than being playing dress up as a cop. Come to think of it, depending on the state you live in, you could open up your own marijuana dispensery and make a killing.

JJ......you are such an idiot for the way you treat Chad. (See the Writer's post above)

JJ.....who are you to judge given your past misdeeds and shenanigans. Look at how you treated your mom when you came back to Salem, look at all the people that helped you along the way to get to your self righteous attitude.

JJ.....GO AWAY!!! Just where is that Melsawen when you need it!!

In case anyone isn't aware of this, I don't like JJ.

Hope and Rafe.....I can deal with them and at least he always has her best interests at heart, truly cares about her, and COME ON........the guys is finally getting some lovin. LOL!

Aiden......everyone has said what I think already.

Hope and Rafe.....I can deal with them and at least he always has her best interests at heart, truly cares about her, and COME ON........the guys is finally getting some lovin. LOL!

I don't doubt that he has her best interests at heart. The issue is that the writers seem to be trying to turn him into Bo and that is not the correct writing approach. At the same time, they are writing Hope as the damsel in distress similar to Sami back when she was with Rafe. If both of these characters stayed true to character, then they might work for me as a couple. But not like this.

And I agree with Poirot 100%. Saying that you like or do not like a couple has absolutely nothing to do with whether you think their scenes are filler.

True, Heather, but like I say, I can deal with it. Mainly because I've always liked Rafe and still do. Is this the ultimate pairing and are the writers staying true to their characters? No..... but as a viewer you like who you like and for me, while I'm not invested in these two as a couple, I'm also more of a.......meh! :)

I guess we all see what we want to see. Actually, I mean to say "interpret" what we see. Cuz I don't at all see them trying to turn Rafe into another Bo.

What I do see is them making the family of cops all the kind who bend the rules. Roman has been a by the book cop for decades, and now, "looks the other way". Hope got back on the force after being in prison, and has abused her position as such. Rafe was a wonderful FBI agent, until he got involved with Sami, and began to bend the rules a bit. Shawn Brady was forensics lab, but somehow is now a detective, and JJ...heck he already has been investigating crimes out of uniform, jumping to conclusions, accusing without cause.

To tell the truth, the only pairing on Days I absolutely detested, and still do was Sami/EJ. There were others I loved, liked, or like Muzza, more or less shrugged and said, o.k. I think some couples could have been received better with much better writing. But, it is what it is.

A very underwhelming final episode, but mostly because yet again, we have more Hope & Rafe, and Aiden, and incompetent civil servants (Abe). Yawn.

And Chad and Jennifer have had an awful past 5-6 years. I really wish the storyline didn't go this route. I would like to see both of them happy again.

I guess we all see what we want to see. Actually, I mean to say "interpret" what we see. Cuz I don't at all see them trying to turn Rafe into another Bo.

What I do see is them making the family of cops all the kind who bend the rules. Roman has been a by the book cop for decades, and now, "looks the other way". Hope got back on the force after being in prison, and has abused her position as such. Rafe was a wonderful FBI agent, until he got involved with Sami, and began to bend the rules a bit. Shawn Brady was forensics lab, but somehow is now a detective, and JJ...heck he already has been investigating crimes out of uniform, jumping to conclusions, accusing without cause.

To tell the truth, the only pairing on Days I absolutely detested, and still do was Sami/EJ. There were others I loved, liked, or like Muzza, more or less shrugged and said, o.k. I think some couples could have been received better with much better writing. But, it is what it is.
What about Daniel & Jennifer?:rotfl:

I just watched this episode. I waited because I thought it would be worth it.

Rafe and Hope are awful. I fast forwarded.

Now let's get to what I didn't understand. Lucas sat there and said nothing when Jennifer said that she was going after custody of Thomas. Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't he try to talk her out of it considering all the custody nonsense he went through already? It seemed wrong for him not to try and talk her out of it.

Aiden is now the DA. I'm not upset with this. I like Aiden and Andre together as an evil duo. Now that he has accepted that he can't have Hope, his turn of character makes more sense

I don't think the Jack Ghost actually did anything for the story today. Last time she needed him, he talked her back from the cliff. This time he just disappeared. I feel like she could have gone and just got drunk or whatever right away. His appearance didn't move her to make a decision. It was made already.

I know I was late to the party...sorry :)

It really was a shame that the show which was to keep viewers "interested" for the 2 week shutdown, did not deliver at all.

In my opinion, Jen needed Jack to be there, yes, but she did not want to hear what he had to say, nor do the right thing. Thus, Jack more or less said, if that is the way you intend to go, then no point in me being here.

As I already noted.....part of the Hope/Rafe stuff was o.k. but the having sex was absolutely out of line.

Frankly, I am truly tired of the ease of eavesdropping all over Salem. Also, am sick and tired of important, very private conversations being held in public places, with no attempts to even look around to be sure they cannot be overheard.

But then it seemed that many characters have not been "themselves" for some time.

Back