Days of Our Lives - Fri., Jan. 31, 2020

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Friday, January 31, 2020

Sarah & Eric waiting for news. Eventually, tho we don't see it, Kayla has been there to tell them neither one is a match. Maggie comes in, they let her know. Over in Victor's room, he argues with Xander about keeping mum as to Maggie's involvement in the accident, and the baby switch. Xander loves that child so much, and can't bear the idea of not being in her life. Maggie arrives, fills them in. Evidently all family will now get tested, Maggie goes off to the lab, Xander with her.

Nicole & Brady are talking about Kristen spilling the beans to Eric about Nicole/Brady being a couple. She knows it was her idea to pretend, but now Eric is evidently hating her again, Brady understands, agrees they need to tell the truth now. Xander arrives with the news, and wants Brady to get tested, he agrees, Nicole volunteers. Xander mentions Tate, and Brady says they are 2nd cousins, he is just a little boy. Xander is insistent all family, Brady keeps saying he is my son, so little, they argue big time.

Steveano on phone in hall, yapping away about John, did he make it thru the night o.k., then talking of at last making Marlena his. He hangs up, pulls open the door, enters the room. Marlena is still tied up in the throne chair. He frees her, she babbles, and sounds just like Hattie does. (And then I note my CC says ...when she speaks......Hattie as Marlena!) She is full of questions, Stefano, John, where is he, blah, blah. They drag this out......but Steveano says they found Stefano, but Rolf was there, with a gun. He went after Rolf, John went after Stefano, who shot him, John is dead. Hattie/Marlena breaks down, crying, as Steveano holds her, the look on his face is ….....ah, I am holding my Marlena.

Meanwhile, Gina is with John, who is bound by the wrists to the ceiling I guess, cuffs on his wrist, unconscious. She is all happy to be with him, pounds on the door to let her out, bringing John to at the noise. She works to free him, he tells of Steve being dead, Rolf shot him, someone hit him on back on head. As she finally is getting him loose, he starts yelling why is she there, she is supposed to be guarding Marlena, what happened.

Through all of this, Chad & Abby have returned to the gatehouse, as he thinks he left his phone there. Yep, finds it, lovely message from his father, sorry had to leave without seeing you, and a lot of blarney, for sure. Abby a bit skeptical, but admits it is a nice message. She says maybe they should stay in the mansion, if Stefano plans on getting rid of Gabi, nope, Chad says not gonna. So, she wanders around, talking of placing furniture, getting rid of what's there, calling contractors, etc.

Sarah & Xander have a nice conversation about Mickey, and him being there for her, Eric sends message, he is out front with car. She leaves, she & Eric go home, she tells him how great Xander has been, that he lives there, she doesn't want him moving out. Eric agrees. She brings up Nicole, Eric smiles, talks of Nicole offering to babysit Mackenzie, Sarah says how kind, and she is fine with that in future. But he comments that tho he is not mad at her, 5 minutes after they left for Boston, Nicole jumped into bed with Brady. She gives him a hug....and he feels better, and of course.......they then kiss.

John is insisting she tell him about Marlena, Gina makes up her tale, saying Stefano came with goons, who took her gun. Stefano insisted Marlena come with him, or die, she refused, spat in his face, and he shot her. John breaks down in tears, falls to his knees, leaning on a table. Gina is holding him from the back, oh, I am sorry, so sorry, as she grins from ear to ear.

Abby is wandering around the gatehouse, opens a big cupboard, loves the storage space, finds a big piece of artwork, covered with a sheet. Drags it out, let's see what we have here. Takes off the sheet, looks shocked, tells Chad to come take a look at this. Both are taken aback, it is the portrait of Steve in Stefano's pose. (the one Gina painted)

she babbles, and sounds just like Hattie does. (And then I note my CC says ...when she speaks......Hattie as Marlena!)
It's funny the closed captioning revealed what is supposed to be a plot twist. But she most definitely was un-Marlenalike when she was babbling. Kudos to Deidre Hall (Marlena/Hattie) for making the two characters so different.

Xander should've just told Brady that he was going to push for ALL of Eric's cousins to be tested, as well as all of his siblings, nieces and nephews, not just Theresa and Tate.

I finished watching the show. The look on Steve-ano's face when he's hugging "Marlena" is about as creepy and disgusting a thing as they've had on the show. Gina's face as she's comforting John is a close second. Just ewww. I'm super tired of these rape-y storylines with people fixating, violating personal boundaries, and eliciting physical/sexual satisfaction from unwitting people. It's getting grosser and grosser each time they trot out this trope, which they seem to want to do every few months. Even Gabi and Eli together creeps me out, and they aren't even playing it as if Gabi loves or thinks she loves Eli.

O.K. although it is not stated, it seems this is a new day for Marlena tied up in the throne room, and John tied up in Prague. Steveano & Gina have evidently traded places, lol.

But, (this is not explained or known yet) am thinking that Kate was unloading all her secrets onto Hattie.........and I do remember Kate could walk into that loft place whenever she wanted. So, perhaps she talked Hattie into being "Marlena" again, when they found her all tied up, Marlena is safe, maybe with Rafe & Shawn, or hiding at Roman's????? This is Hattie, who is on to Steveano's claim that "last thing John said was for Steve to take care of Marlena". Thus him comforting her as she cries.

And then there is Gina........who still has not explained to John how/why she is there, in that place with him. LOL. Are they all back in Salem, or is John still wherever that place was in Prague, with Rolf outside???

We definitely will have to be getting a "what happened".

Thanks, Poirot.

Before they changed "Marlena's" name, I knew it was Hattie. The way she was
talking and they showed her left hand with no rings. It makes me wonder if
Marlena might be
on her way to Prague. Does this make Kate a better person
because it was probably her helping with the switcheroo?

Stevano is really stupid or so much in love he can't tell it's not Marlena. Maybe
wearing that patch has made him blind :)

Nice discussion with Brady and Nicole about telling Eric the truth about her
not being with Brady

Interesting shirt Nicole was wearing. Zebra stripes with leopard spots.

Eric is becoming a softy, he told Sarah ok for Xander to be around Mickey.

An interesting ending with Abby and Chad looking at the portrait of Stevano.
I'm sure they'll notice it's like the other Stefano portrait with a different face.

Thank you for the summary, and also for the comments that followed. I was confused until I read the comments. I thought I just wasn't understanding but it seems the details of what is happening haven't yet been revealed on screen. The theory that Hattie may be sitting in for Marlena is interesting. She loves Marlena so she'd be happy if she turns out to be the one to save Marlena again. I'm trying to make lemonade here. I want this mess to be over as much as anybody.

Well this recap gives me some hope because I recorded this and missed any tells on Hattie. Of course because they kept dragging out stuff out I was fast forwarding. And even without that the cliffhanger isn't much of one since we know Marlena and John aren't dead.

Also a lot of stupid in this show. Wasted time on Nicole complaining about Eric not knowing the truth. Um just go tell him maybe? And the super rich Dimera kids have to go live in a shoe with so many kids they don't know what to do? Go buy a house or just say you went to clean up the gate house or whatever it is for the kids to play in and found the painting. And ugh, Eric and Sarah. Please have her come to her senses first thing Monday. How many times do we have to go through this storyline?

I broke down and watched Friday's episode on my computer. I would bet good money that Marlena is really Hattie! That was not Marlena when Steve-ano untied her. Deidre Hall is doing a bang-up job of portraying Hattie and Marlena. She is combining both characters just enough to keep us guessing. I read the recaps and the posts so I just had to see it for myself! This is one time I am really liking the lookalike stories! I'll be keeping up from now on so I can see if we are all right about Marlena/Hattie.

It might be nice if the dialogue reflected the absurdity of some of the story lines.

Gina tells John that Stefano shot Marlena to death. John: "That's absurd. The old man wouldn't press Doc to be with him. He's been over her for years. And he would never shoot her personally. He always had other people do his dirty work.

Steve-ano tells Marlena that Rolf murdered John. Marlena: "Don't make me laugh. Everyone knows that Rolf is a mad scientist, not a murderer. He wouldn't know which end of a gun the bullets come out."

Why do Gina and Steveano think that John and Marlena will grieve for about....oh, let's say 20 minutes and then fall madly in love with them? Sooner or later, John and Marlena will find out that it is all a big stupid hoax. Seriously, do they really think they can pull this off? The fact that everyone in Salem has a really short memory span makes it a real possibility. Look at Eric and Brady. They are the poster boys for falling in and out of love in less than a nanosecond.

They are trying to recreate the tension and suspense of the John and Marlena stories set in Maison Blanche (Louisiana) in 1994 and Paris in 1996. Those stories were told very well and the sets were wonderful. Stefano was a great villain back then and his obsession with Marlena then was nearly at its peak. Now we have awful writing and awful sets. Same actors (substitute Stephen Nichols in place of Joe Mascolo) But nothing compelling to watch. I have been reading the summaries but I have not had any desire to watch any of the episodes for a long time.

Last edited:
Back