Days of Our Lives - Monday, April 28, 2008

Interesting ep today. I am still waaay icked out by this weird SurferDoc/Chelsea thing. She is just too young and has seen too little of the world for it to seem like ANY sort of believable pairing with a guy who is way too old for her to begin with. Creepy to the max. The actor is kinda cute, and would make a fun pairing with someone appropriate, but this makes him look like a dirty old man who is trying to recapture his youth. I realize mid-life crises are a common phenomenon, but icky ew, I'd rather not have to watch!

Meanwhile, thank GOD that the captivity has finally ended, if in a pretty ridiculous manner - but hey, I'll take what I can get on that awful storyline! AND they didn't subject us to any extended 'captivity of Stephanie' storyline - in fact, I'm really unclear what the point of that was, other than letting Max play the hero.

I still can't really figure out what the heck they are going to DO with Ava, assuming she's staying around for any length of time. It would appear from today's developments, adding to her chat with Kayla about her pills, that they are going the route of her as the victim of her father and others, and thus not entirely responsible for her psycho behavior. Which is fine, but then what? They can hardly put her with Steve. Maybe SurferDoc - at least she's a bit more age-appropriate! Or maybe Lucas - could be a type of classic story, if he had to try to storm the castle and save the damsel from her evil father. I'm interested to see Joe Penny playing that role, but at the same time, this whole mob angle has me worried. I so don't want Days going down that path. The actress playing Ava is certainly very talented, but at this point I'd be quite happy to see the end of all this mob stuff - leave it to GH, please!

Finally, I was most interested to see how they are fleshing out the relationship between Sami and EJ, setting us up for what's to come in May. I am now pretty convinced that they are writing Sami's anger as a defense mechanism against her growing feelings for EJ, as opposed to a genuine reflection of her opinion. She is seeing him in a whole new light, and is fighting it. Watched today's (Mon) ep, that came through loud and clear. We were treated to the screamingly obvious (ultra-sexy Cary Grant - uh HUH - and who on the show might remind one of HIM? lol...), the touchingly sweet (I totally went 'aw' at the image of EJ kissing those babies on the nose, and frankly Sami seemed most affected as well), and in general an accumulation of intimate personal details - as EJ pointed out, to Sami's chagrin, they know quite a lot about each other.

It was all pretty clearly foreshadowing, showing us that they are becoming a couple. Like that whole sequence where she's teasing him about a supposed vocal tic he has when thinking (clearly made up for the scene, since I never recall seeing any such thing). And of course her harping on Nicole again, and EJ teasing that 'she's over that, though, right?' and her assuring him she was! Seems like the basis of the debate on that has shifted from whether Sami even *has* a personal issue re Nicole, to whether she *no longer* has one. Which she keeps demonstrating that she does, of course, but how interesting to see this spousal teasing about it!

Later EJ was really hurt and angered by her lashing out angrily in reaction to his pointing out how much they've been bonding. (As an aside, I am SOO happy to see EJ standing up to Sami - they really are quite an even match!) But the really interesting point here is that when he did the thing she supposedly WANTED him to do and told her to go to bed (Alison Sweeney/Sami *cracked me up* with that whole "ready... go" schtick at the beginning), did she say 'great! finally! I'm outta here'? Nope, not even close - she was upset about it and tried to cajole him not to give up, but to stay and try again. Sure put a completely different spin on her earlier behaviour.

Even Nicole's ill-timed appearance, which you might think would distract her, didn't - she told Nicole to go away, that she was interrupting. I was a little surprised EJ didn't in fact send Nicole packing, but they clearly needed her to stay at least long enough to do the big 'Brady is alive and well' reveal, and I suppose EJ was in a pretty unhappy place vis a vis Sami at that moment. (I appreciated the acting nicety of how even when he was just observing Sami and Nicole, James chose for EJ to stay looking upset.) Meanwhile Alison Sweeney/Sami was hilarious playing Sami's overwhelming need to know what dirt Nicole had on Victor, even more than she wanted to make her go away lol.

Bottom line, the scene just added to all the foreshadowing (which I am glad to see the writers doing, as I hate it when couples develop instant relationships) about the growing relationship and pending forgiveness and reconciliation (yet again we get a reference to it, this time with Sami herself claiming she doesn't hold grudges) between these two characters. All of which comports with the 'behind the scenes' info we've gotten, tho I won't mention it here in case it would constitute a spoiler. Anyway, looks like sweeps month is going to be busy!

Back