Days of Our Lives Monday Dec 1 2008

DJM

Reaction score
Nicole comes downstairs hears a baby crying. EJ is holding the baby. Opens up the blanket and the baby is gone. Nicole screams and wakes up. EJ is looking for Nicole, finds out from Maria that Nicole left early and that she was crying. She does not know why. EJ finds out that it was Brady that she was with yesterday.

Lucas and Chloe talk about Christmas. She wants her present now. Lucas wants to wait, but Chloe wants the gift now. Lucas gives her a Key. It is the key to their dream house. He tells her all about the house. He then says one more thing. He opens a box with a very big diamond ring., tells her how much he loves her and asks her to marry him. Lucas puts the ring on her finger. Kate calls and tells Lucas that she is going to the hospital Lucas says he will be right there.

Dan and Kate talk. She knows that he went back to the hospital. Wants to know what they are going to do from here. Dan tells Kate that she needs even more aggressive chemo treatments. The cancer has spread to the lump nodes. Kate says that is stage four and wants to know how much more time she has left. Dan tells her that they have no way of knowing. Kate says that it is her karma coming back at her. She does not want people telling her to be brave and fight. Dan says he will not tolerate anything less. Kate agrees to go back to the hospital as long as Dan stays with her. He promises that he will.

Marlena and Brady meet at the pub. John is going to join them. Marlena tells Brady that John has agreed to get help. John overhears and is upset because Marlena told about it. Says he will not go now. Brady wants to leave, but John tells him to stay and continue with the ganging up on him. John tells Brady about being a Demira. Brady is angry that he was not told earlier. John says this is the hand you were dealt be a man and play it. Brady calls John out about being a robot and not caring about anything. He leaves. John says he will go for one time and see the Dr after that no more trying to change him as it will not work.

Nicole returns to the clinic to see Dr Baker. He wants to know if she made her follow up appt’s with her doctor. She tells him no. Says she did not have a miscarriage that her baby was born asleep and taken away before she could take her first breath. She feels empty without the baby moving inside her. She came back because she needs something that only he can give her. She needs hope that she and EJ can have another baby. Dr Baker tells her that she could not have another baby. Nicole asks about other ways to have a baby. She was told she would not carry the baby to term. She goes shopping for clothes. The sales lady gives her a pillow so she can see how the clothes will look. She is surprised that Nicole is 20 weeks. Nicole buys the pillow and the clothes saying she will not need a bag she will wear them home. Nicole returns home and sees Maria. Maria is happy that Nicole is feeling better, says when she was pregnant she would cry at the drop of a hat. She leaves and Nicole starts to cry. Brady arrives and is surprised to see Nicole up. Sees the pillow and knows she did not tell EJ. Nicole says she needed to know that she could have another baby before telling him. That she could not lose both of them right away. Brady tries to tell her that she will not lose EJ. Nicole says he let her live there because of the baby. Brady hugs her as EJ walks in.

EJ had gone to the clinic to see Dr Baker. Wants to know about Nicole and the baby, and what the prognosis is. Dr Baker looks in the chart and sees he is the father so he can tell him everything. Wants to know what he knows. EJ says that his wife had a cramp. Dr Baker looks at the chart says that Nicole is single. That he has to protect her privacy and that he would have to ask Nicole. EJ threatens to get a court order as he is a lawyer.

Kate and Dan are at the hospital. Lucas comes with Chloe. Dan tells Lucas that Kate needs a bone marrow transplant. Chloe tells Dan about the engagement and asks that he not tell anyone. Meanwhile Lucas goes in to see Kate. She tells him that she told him first because she needs to know from him that he will be ok no matter what the outcome is. That he will be ok without her.

Marlena calls Dr Taylor to talk about John. John is in the pub and runs into a women with folders. One has his name on it. He says he told Dr Taylor not to let anyone else have his file. She says she is Dr Taylor.

DJM.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know why. Could be that she did not know about the past history. Could be that the doctor feels she will not tell EJ if she could not have anymore children and then he could blackmail her. Nicole did tell Brady and she needed to hear that she could have another baby before she had the courage to tell EJ about this one.

I think Dr. Baker tells Nicole this because he said she could not carry a baby to full term. So i think even if she gets pregnant again she will most likely have another miscarriage.
I don't believe that Lucas & Chloe will get married. She is just stringing him along. She doesn't want to be a full time mom at this point.
Thank DJM for the recap. I really appreciate them.

I think Dr. Baker tells Nicole this because he said she could not carry a baby to full term. So i think even if she gets pregnant again she will most likely have another miscarriage.
I don't believe that Lucas & Chloe will get married. She is just stringing him along. She doesn't want to be a full time mom at this point.
Thank DJM for the recap. I really appreciate them.:)
Did you see Chloe's face when he told her that he loved her today? I mean all she could do was roll her eyes, she doesn't love that man, she is on a rebound , until she finds some other sucker.

I don't think Chloe is using Lucas, I think she likes him and seems to enjoy being around him, but nope, you are right, she doesn't love him....and she really doesn't seem to be pretending to either.....Lucas just isn't paying attention.....

:rant: Day should not give ANY details when it comes to ANYTHING medical. GRRRRRRRRR. Since when is Lymph node involvement stage 4? Metastasis is stage 4. Since when do bone marrow transplants cure lung cancer? If she needs a bone marrow transplant then she has either Leukemia or Lymphoma not Lung cancer. Maybe she subscribed to Cancer Of The Month?

I remember the nurse telling Nicole she could have another child.

Thanks for the write up Donna!

@NH........what Daniel tells Kate is that tho the tumor on her lung has shrunk, the cancer has metastacized (sp???). She asks where, he replies, lymph nodes, blood stream, bone marrow. That is when she says .........stage 4.

That description is still not making complete clinical sense but does clear up things a bit, thanks Barb.

Lymph node involvement is stage three however movement of stray cells via the blood is the way metastatsis is accomplished. Those individual cells would not be detectable but would eventually establish into secondary sites from the primary site, the lungs. These would grow into lesions or tumors elsewhere (stage four). Leukemia or cancer of the blood is not stray cancer cells but abnormal white cells. Only stage four is called metastatic or advanced cancer. Lung cancer can have "mets" to bone (stage four), but would not have to be be a bone marrow cancer. Cancer of the bone marrow can happen through metastasis (in this case, Kate would have stage four) from the lung cancer but it would not be a primary bone marrow cancer and would not indicate bone marrow or stem cell transplantation. If the bone marrow cancer was the primary cancer then it would be indicated. Cancer of the blood (Leukemia) is not related to lung cancer but would be related to primary bone marrow cancer. I guess this all depends on if in fact her lung cancer is the primary site or if her bone marrow is the primary. Microscopic examination would confirm lung cells in the bone marrow if the lung cancer is the primary.

Types of Bone Marrow Cancer

Most cases of bone marrow cancer come from cancer that spreads to the bone from another organ. This is known as secondary bone cancer. When these cancers are examined under a microscope, they resemble the tissue they came from (i.e., breast, prostate, lung, etc).

Primary bone cancer is cancer that forms in cells of the bone. Some types of primary bone cancer are osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and malignant fibrous histiocytoma.

Other kinds of bone marrow cancers that start in the blood forming cells of the bone marrow are as follows:

* Leukemia – when bone marrow produces abnormal white blood cells
* Lymphomas - which more often start in lymph nodes, but can sometimes start in bone marrow
* Multiple Myeloma – cancer that develops from the plasma cells of the bone marrow

If the bone marrow is the primary and if they go with the transplantation storyline they will have to kill the existing bone marrow and put Kate near death so that she can accept the transplant. She would still have to most likely have a lobectomy (removal of part of a lung) to remove the tumor in the lung (possible radiation first) and then still undergo chemotherapy as prevention. Her prognosis is very poor and the odds of her surviving this are almost nonexistent.

If I have confused you all, I am sorry.

On the show Dan tells Lucas that they have to wipe out Kates immune system and that she needs a bone marrow transplant. I could not understand the medical reasoning around it.

They are not really trying tho wipe out the immune system it just happens to be a component of the bone marrow and just PART of the immune system. Bone marrow produces stem cells which produce ALL blood cells both red and white. White blood cells are the soldiers that fight invaders. They are just one component of your immune system but they are many.

* Leukocytes
* Lymphocyte
* Monocytes
* Granulocytes
* B-cells
* Plasma cells
* T-cells
* Helper T-cells
* Killer T-cells
* Suppressor T-cells
* Natural killer cells
* Neutrophils
* Eosinophils
* Basophils
* Phagocytes
* Macrophages

White blood cells also produce antibodies.

* Immunoglobulin A (IgA)
* Immunoglobulin D (IgD)
* Immunoglobulin E (IgE)
* Immunoglobulin G (IgG)
* Immunoglobulin M (IgM)

These are all the components of the immune system

* Thymus
* Spleen
* Lymph system
* Bone marrow
* White blood cells
* Antibodies
* Complement system
* Hormones
* Skin
* Saliva
* Mucous
* Tears
* Hair
* Nails

I tried to pair this down so it didn't turn into an anatomy and physiology textbook. The three below are the ones that will get knocked out when they kill off Kate's bone marrow. She will have all the other parts of her immune system intact so saying her immune system will be wiped out is a pretty big error but it will very weak.

* Bone marrow
* White blood cells
* Antibodies

Neulasta is an injection to stimulate the bone marrow to produce white blood cells quite often given to cancer patients with poor immune systems.

Also patients will be put into "reverse isolation" so we don't infect them and not the other way around. I will be curious to see if they "gown up" and put masks and gloves on.

I'm a nurse and havent you heard the saying "Do you want to talk to the Doctor, or the nurse that knows everything, lol":smile::smile::smile:

I don't know everything but I have heard that. :D Actually I had to look up some stuff which was a good refresher. As people will tell you from here I am in training for Almostheimers and couldn't get a blessed anagram straight and was wondering who Lacie Horton was.

As people will tell you from here I am in training for Almostheimers and couldn't get a blessed anagram straight and was wondering who Lacie Horton was.

There, there, Nurse. It's time to put that behind you and move on. Can I make an appointment for you with Dr. Namearl Vasen?

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH ***has gone completely mental***

Besides I would just have to change Doctor's next year!

After Daniel says they plan to knock out her immune system, he says they then will build it up again from scratch. If so, they had all better gown up, for sure.

Hmmm, just heard a song on the radio, and wonder if it is NH singing it......."They're coming to take me away, ha, ha! "

P.S. I love that these last two posters above me both have Dirty Harry in their corner. Upper left, that is. LOL

Back