Days of our Lives - Monday, March 4, 2024

I have personal knowledge of a man who died intestate. He had a LOT of money and many other things of value and sentimental value. No will. Very complicated mess.
Most wealthy and successful business individuals have a will. Not always, but usually.
And Paulina's not just cash wealthy with lots of posessions, she owns a business that has stores all over the place, and is directly involved in operations (unless re-Ron and the scabs have forgotten that). People like that generally don't die intestate. Plus, doesn't she own a majority of the bakery? Or did she loan money to Chanel to start it?

If Paulina never got around to writing a will the court would distribute the estate according to the Illinois intestacy statute. In Paulina’s case, Abe as the husband gets half of the estate and the children, Lani and Chanel get the other half. If were no spouse or children things can get messy and the estate could go to so-called laughing heirs —- distant relatives who may never have had any contact with the deceased. The bottom line is that unmarried, childless Salemites like Anne Milbauer or Rory who would like their estate to go to the Salem Philharmonic or the Smith Island Raccoons Benefit Trust better write a will lest some third cousin gets all the money.

the children, Lani and Chanel get the other half.
I know it doesn't really matter in Salem La-La Land, but isn't Lani legally Paulina's niece? I thought she found her birth certificate back in '15 and deduced Abe was her father, then later that was retconned to say Tamara just "went with it" to keep Paulina and Lani safe.

What's crazy about the Lani stuff is Tamara raised her but now Paulina is like her real mom and Tamara is an after thought while Abe mistakenly was Lani's father for a hot minute and even with the revelation, he's still like her father. Meanwhile I'm always happy when they remember the Abe and Nicole connection but it's always treated like an afterthought. Like it comes up because they ran into each other at the square or something.

while Abe mistakenly was Lani's father for a hot minute and even with the revelation, he's still like her father.
At some point Abe had papers drawn up to legally adopt Lani, because he said he'd always love her as his daughter. I think it was before she was transferred to the out-of-state prison.

Found it:

Abe comes into the all-purpose interrogation room. He wants Lani to sign some papers before she goes. They are adult adoption papers. Abe says you are my daughter in every way that counts.

Thanks, I didn't even remember that.

I still always hated that entire story. Imagine lying to a guy about being someone's father. All Tamara had to do was tell Lani she didn't know who he was or whatever. Lani showing up thinking he was her father as a way to bring her onto the the show would have been fine but that went off the rails quickly.

Yes, Lani's legal parents are Abe Carver and Tamara Price. Or was Paulina adopting her at the time, too? Before I posted my question above, I went through 3 months of episode summaries from all the relevant time periods, and saw only that which is stated above and that Abe adopted her before she went to prison.
Lani showing up thinking he was her father as a way to bring her onto the the show would have been fine but that went off the rails quickly.
Pity poor Lani. Created by a doomed headwriter, shown the door by the next set, and brought back by the next set, only to have a fourth set of writers change her backstory dramatically (also changing the backstory of Paulina).

Here's hoping the next headwriters (whenever Corday wises up) un-de-fix the mess!!

I wonder if they were allowed to begin any sort of new story. It does seem as tho they were told to more or less "tread water" for the time being. Tis a shame, because even if they began some new storyline, a good headwriter would be able easily to either go with it, or quickly end it in a satisfactory way.

Gotta get Corday off that golf course, and paying attention to the show.

Back