Days of Our Lives - Thu., Jan. 2, 2020

JasonDíSpeech

Reaction score
Julie's Place: Just before midnight, Julie toasts a new tradition (there are an impressive number of extras in the scene) and values all her attendees. Notably in front counting to the New Year are Justin & Kayla and John & Marlena, both of whom kiss passionately at the chime. Hope and Steve enter, shocking Kayla, John, and Julie.

Hotel room: Lani's appearance stuns Eli and Gabi. They chitchat about nunneries and Kristen, who has switched her loyalties. Lani blames Kristen for throwing the plant.

Outside Julie's Place: Kristen stalks Nicole and Brady, then announces herself and hurls insults at Nicole. She reveals she's been watching them and that she's not a nun. Among the insults, apparently Kristen paid in no way (other than her "prayerful" life) for Haley's death, and that Brady was with her for a bit after their child's death. She fled to escape her pain, didn't say goodbye to Brady, and she won't be judged by JJ or anyone else. (Kristen also hints there's more to Lani's story, to Nicole and Brady.) Kristen pleads with Brady to admit he still has feelings for her, he says her soul's still twisted. They turn to leave and Kristen attacks Nicole, but Brady pulls them apart. The trio rehashes Kristen's crimes; Kristen states she wants Brady, whereas Nicole really wants Eric. Brady tells her off, Kristen blames Nicole, Nicole says Kristen should have thought of the consequences of stealing someone's life. Brady and Nicole leave; Kristen tears down decorations.

Julie's Place: Justin has choice words for Steve, who remember supposedly has Stefano's brains in his head but is now "pretending" to be Steve, and his performance is somewhere between his stiff "Steve-aNO" and the regular Steve. Steve-aNO-as-Steve claims he's not here for Kayla, but Marlena, whom he & Hope claim Stefano is targeting again. (Hope as "Gina" has tampered to show the fingerprints were Stefano's.) Steve-aNO-as-Steve puts his arms on Marlena (after acting very much unlike Steve) and says Stefano won't harm her.

Square: Eli is miffed, but doesn't want to think about Lani; Gabi pretends she's lost her earring so she can go back to Kristen's hotel room. Gabi goes up and taunts Lani with the app, since there's an essential stalemate even though she knows Lani broke the window.

Julie's Place: Hope apologizes for not telling Kayla about hunting down Steve, Steve tells "sweetness" he wasn't Santa. (Justin forbids his calling her that.) Julie and Doug look on, worried. Later, aside, Gi-Nope and Steve-aNO talk shop about their charade and take glee in Justin and Kayla's anger. John's still stymied that Hope didn't clue them in to Steve's appearance. (These scenes are awkward at best.) Steve finagles an invitation to stay at Marlena & John's (on the couch since the guest room is full) to "keep Marlena safe" as they work to smoke out Stefano.

Gabi's room/Kristen's Hotel Room: Eli and Lani separately flash back to looking forward to 2019. (These look like new flashbacks, they don't look like they're in Eli's room from 2018, but they definitely state "2019".)

Gabi's room: Gabi returns and toasts a new year with Eli; they make out.

Kristen's: Kristen arrives and tells Lani that Nicole's poisoned Brady against her. Kristen vows to fight for the man she loves.

Eric's Apartment: Brady and Nicole arrive, Brady admits he's been thrown by Kristen's return, and is worried he'll be drawn back in to the volatile woman's grasp. He resolves to have nothing to do with Kristen again.

Private Area: Kayla admits to Justin that she's shocked by the appearance of a non-begging-for-forgiveness "Steve," about whom she doesn't wish to talk.

Townhouse: Steve-aNO-as-Steve (allegedly) waves his arm triumphantly to praise Black Patch's return. John can't believe the "geriatric narcissist" Stefano thinks he has a chance with Marlena. Once more Steve-aNO-as-Steve lays hands on Marlena vowing to protect her.

I must say - this was really hard to write. Kristen is insane, she's not a rootable villain, and to watch addict Brady lusting for her ...
gross.gif
(especially since the only reason to have him "make a resolution" is so he can be an idiot and break it).

I'm hoping John and Marlena immediately figure out something's up with Steve and this nonsense is ended quickly. I could hack this in a web series or something short, but 5-7 scenes of "Steve who's really STefano but pretending he's himself badly" was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.
stop.gif

It is one thing to jump ahead a year, and have viewers "catch up" via flashbacks to what transpired in various scenarios. It is another to try and foist off the personality and memory of a old, dead villain, onto someone 20 years younger. With Gina, at least it was established long ago she & Hope looked exactly alike. Steve Johnson is another story.
And yes, it certainly is mass confusion. And not a good thing. Again, John seems clueless to how uncomfortable Steve is making Marlena. They just got rid of someone bunking in with them, Marlena wanted time alone with John, and now he does it again. There are tons of hotels in town, he did not have to intrude on John & Marlena.
Thank you Jason, this Days is becoming so twisted one finds it hard to keep anything straight.

Wow! Sounds like mass confusion. Thanks for writing this up, Jason.
Mass confusion is a perfect description. None of the schemers seems to have a clue.

Kristen: If she wants to win back Brady, she might try giving up assaulting Nicole and otherwise acting like a deranged lunatic.

Lani: If she still hasn't figured out how to expose Gabi's plot against Julie and rescue her from the lethal pacemaker, what is she doing in Salem? However, if she thinks that Salemites are all hypocrites, she ought to head over to Julie's Club and entertain the New Year's Eve crowd with her own version of Harper Valley PTA, which would conclude with: "This is just a little Peyton Place and you're all Salem City hypocrites."

Steve-ano: He ought to give up his whole lunatic plot, give Steve back his body, and join Santo, Lexie, and Andre in the big Maison Blanche in the sky. As things stand, Marlena may be close at hand, but is out of reach; he's catching grief from those who hold Patch Johnson in low regard; and he's hearing people talk trash about Stefano.

Gabi: In the battle for DiMera Enterprises, she hasn't got a clue about what she's up against: Kristen is completely crazy and capable of anything, Steve-ano would never tolerate a non-DIMera in control of the family company, and Chad isn't going anywhere. And as soon as the truth about Julie's pacemaker emerges, her paramour, Eli, will drop her like a hot rock.

Last edited:
I just hate anything with Brady and Kristen and the possibility of them being together. I remember way, way, way back I liked Kristen. You know when she was with John, Brady's father.

Is Steve acting like Steve? His mannerisms, the way he talks? I feel so bad for Kayla. I hate to see her hurting. I always liked Steve and Kayla. So is Marlena going to get a Stefano vibe from Steve? When he said she was precious to him, she looked stunned. Did Stefano ever say that to her? She seemed freaked by hug too. Yeah, that was creepy.

Lani, it is absolutely time for you to do something about Gabi! You were a policewoman, you could have done it and married Eli. Originally I liked Eli and Gabi, but she is such a bad person now. I want Eli and Lani to reconcile and take down Gabi. I am just worried Gabi will have a miracle pregnancy. I had to laugh when Lani said I can't go back in time. I thought, hey you jumped a year, maybe you can go back.

Is Steve acting like Steve? His mannerisms, the way he talks?
I'll give Stephen Nichols (who plays this character) credit - he's trying to act like Steve but not all the way. He's doing a good job of "riffing" his own performance. But I hate the story.

Never thought I'd miss the "John is poisoning Steve" story!

Thanks, Jason.

Jason, I love your names for Gina and Stefano: Gi-Nope and Steve-ano

It was interesting to see the shadows behind Kristen of people in
Julie's Place.

Great hearing Stevano say Sweetness. Later, Justin said he's not
allowed to call Kayla that name anymore.

It didn't take long for Stevano to get into the John and Marlena's
townhouse. He had that look in his eye when he hugged her at
the end.

Hopefully, John will say something to Stevano if he acts too friendly
with Marlena like Hope did with John.

Nice to see Julie and Doug again.

Not to say anything in defense of Kristen. She's as yucky as ever. I don't like anything about her. But about Nicole and Brady. I have always liked them as friends but never wanted them to be lovers. I still feel that way. But come on, do any people who are just friends kiss the way they were kissing at midnight, when Kristen let loose on them?

My other comment is about John. It has been mentioned how he's been acting odd, and how he went overboard with affectionate gestures toward Abe. Now he's doing the same with Steve aNO. He's getting close to acting a little goofy or giddy with the affection. I wonder if something is wrong with him or if this is just a new phase for John.

I'm so sick and tired of Kristen playing the victim. :beat:

Are we seriously supposed to forget all the terrible things she has done and the fact she still refuses any responsibility?:shocked:

I wonder if something is wrong with him or if this is just a new phase for John.
I've wondered the same. But ever since he returned in 2011 his writing has been so inconsistent. (Let's all recall how he planned to cheat on Marlena with Kristen to keep her from Brady.) He's dumb when it serves DA PLOT, and smart when they need to kick the story up.

I do agree that Brady and Nicole were closer than friends, but Kristen has no right to call the woman WHOSE FACE SHE STOLE any names.

I'll give Stephen Nichols (who plays this character) credit - he's trying to act like Steve but not all the way. He's doing a good job of "riffing" his own performance. But I hate the story. Never thought I'd miss the "John is poisoning Steve" story!
Agree, Stephen Nichols (Steve) is doing a great job in imitating Stefano's mannerisms, but Steve-ano's behavior as handed to the actor by the writers is decidedly non-Phoenix. If the original Joseph Mascolo Stefano had acted like Steve-ano, he wouldn't have lasted more than a few months in Salem. The inept Salem P.D. would have soon tossed him in jail, Bart would have quit, EJ would have fled back to Britain, and John and Hope would have laughed off his attempts to turn them into the Pawn and Princess Gina.

Last edited:
If the stories are going to be ridiculous, I'm going to speculate ridiculous things. What if somehow, to play Chad, they ask Steve (who is Stefano in Steve's body pretending to be Steve), ask him to pretend to be Stefano through online messaging to get Chad to tell of what they have discussed, and he has to of course pretend not to ever find anything. He'd be Steve, whose really Stefano pretending to be Steve, pretending to be Stefano. Why not make this crazy train just run right off the tracks?

And Kristen is weird. And Lani is weird, and Gabi and Eli and Gi-Nope and Steve-aNO, all just weird. Just not good stories. I hope the writers make this all a dream or something. I don't even care if it means they wasted my time, just make this go away. UGH, just weird!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back