Days of Our Lives - Thu., June 23, 2016

JasonDíSpeech

Reaction score
In the Square, Victor is shopping for a gift for Maggie, runs into Brady. They trade barbs and Victor insults Jeannie Theresa, insisting that she's only out for what Brady can do for her. (Brady has Tate, who appears older, in a stroller.) Victor believes his "proper nurturing" can make Tate all Kiriakis. Brady opposes this idea. Victor blabs on about family and how super awesome the Kiriakis family is, how far back it goes, etc. Brady discounts Victor's beliefs as his actions don't match them, and stalks off.

At the Townhouse, Paul has dropped by to visit John, who gives him the news about his pending remarriage to Marlena. Paul asks about Joey, learns he's doing well but is still facing charges. John and Paul wonder at how alike they are despite not knowing each other during Paul's childhood. Supposedly Paul has lots of skills well-suited to being a PI, John offers to teach him. Paul hopes Steve will be OK with this, John is sure it's okay. Brady arrives, balks at the notion of Paul leaving DJ Wear. After a few moments of ranting about not being able to count on family, he recants and wishes Paul well, admits his anger was misdirected. He confides in John about Victor's hatred of Jeannie T, wants to talk. John says that's not a good idea, he'll probably take Victor's side. Paul leaves; Brady is upset that John's not come around on Jeannie T as he thought he had. John says some people are incapable of changing. Once trouble, always trouble.

At Shady Hills, Teen Ciara balks at Chase's suggestion that she's here to see him. She tells him to smeg off (well, she swears). Later, she tells Marlena that she can't work at Shady Hills because of Chase's internment there, and the anger he brings up. Marlena tells Ciara it's okay if she can't work here, she can find another location for the teen. Ciara is determined to get past this and help people. She goes back to Chase, tells him she's working there, he won't stop her. Chase doesn't want to stop her, doesn't want to make her life harder. Ciara tells Chase that she wants to get better, and wants him to get better, too. For everybody's sake. Marlena is listening, smiles.

At the police station, Mr Monahan is confessing to Stefano's murder, denies being threatened by André. Roman tries to read Monahan his rights as Monahan shouts he knows them. Rafe tries to get to the bottom of Monahan's confession. Monahan says that one of his guys robbed Hope's house, got her service revolver. He took it and offered it to Stefano to frame Hope (because word on the street was the DiMeras wanted Hope out of the way) by killing someone else they wanted dead. Stefano insulted Monahan. Apparently Monahan is known to Roman and Rafe, had a temper and went way back with Stefano. Monahan got angry at DiMera's insults and "pumped three bullets" into him. He even surmises that the cops would have preferred the honors. Monahan wiped the gun and got rid of it, and was surprised at André's arrest when it was Roman's sister in law whose gun was the murder weapon. Monahan dumped the body at the demolition site off Route 47, etc. (This is confidential information.) Rafe thinks André fed Monahan this info and has paid him off. Rafe and Roman have more questions, but his lawyer arrives.

Rafe and Roman privately consult about what to do, knowing that André's not guilty of the crime for which he was imprisoned, and that a trial will destroy their case against André. They decide to trip Monahan up. Rafe calls Hope and leaves her a message. Roman has decided to cut André loose, the trial would shine a light on the use of Bo's revolver as Stefano's murder weapon, which would be unwanted attention for the department. Rafe balks at this, since they let Jimmy Holman go because of missing evidence, and now André will be free. Justin asks why everyone's so sure that Monahan is lying. Rafe claims his story is weak, Justin needs to talk to Monahan. Justin meets with Monahan, asks why he's coming forward at this point. Monahan claims that the DiMeras maybe might have threatened his family (his daughter had an accident involving bad brakes). Justin agrees that Monahan's story is weak, but they can't poke holes in it. Rafe and Roman wonder about the texts sent from Stefano's phone; Justin wonders if there's something else that they know that makes them so sure Monahan's lying. Rafe and Roman scramble to explain it; Rafe wants to prove André is pulling the strings. André enters in blue prison garb, flanked by guards. Later, Justin reveals that Mike Monahan owns Allied Construction (which ran the site where the body was dumped) and will look guilty to a jury. He orders him arrested. Rafe is furious.

Rafe talks to André in the conference room. They exchange talks about what the other did. André claims to have reflected during his prison time, and is trying to move forward, and throws in a few licks about Hope with Aiden. Rafe promises to watch André, who turns it into a joke. He goes free, throwing a few lines from Richard III as he goes. Later, Rafe is upset he didn't protect Hope. Roman assures him they'll get André on something else, and that Hope is good at protecting herself.

Also, Rafe had called Ciara to get Hope's emergency number, offered his ear if she needed any help.

André is in a schnazzy black jacket, sneaks into the DiMansion. He looks at the chess board and puts Stefano's ring on, musing that it's good to be back.

At the Green Mountain Lodge, Hope and Aiden arrive. She flashes back to their dance at the 'gala' (I swear Aiden looks 10 years younger in that flashback). It has two bedrooms, and Aiden promises to take things slow. He won't ask Hope to spend the rest of her life with him until he thinks he'll get the answer he wants. They kiss. They discuss their recreational plans, settle on a swim in the lake. Hope steps out; Aiden hears a beep from her jacket, checks her phone and sees a message from Rafe. Hope comes out from her room, looks great per Aiden. Aiden goes to change, Hope looks for her phone. Aiden's not seen it, he claims. He comes out and suggests they unplug for the weekend. They go for their swim.

Oh, gosh, will Hope ever get on to this guy.? He takes it, puts it in HIS bag...tells her he has not seen it. He probably realizes it is a message from Rafe. I wish she had not kissed him.

Looks as tho Tate has been aged a bit. Victor did not need to bad mouth Theresa so badly to Brady, John did it much nicer. LOL
Thanks, Jason. And appreciate you knew Andre's quote was from Richard III.

I must say, the smile on Paul's face is adorable. He's one of the few characters to actually seem nice, and pleasant. A smile, imagine that. So refreshing. He saves an otherwise very boring and stupid show and I wish we could see more of him. I want the writers to actually follow up on this training thing with his father John, then I want to see John, Steve and Paul leap into action. Not just say "Oh, you're a private investigator now" and never mention it again. Come on, writers, it's not that difficult, is it ?

André is in a schnazzy black jacket, sneaks into the DiMansion. He looks at the chess board and puts Stefano's ring on, musing that it's good to be back. At the Green Mountain Lodge, Hope and Aiden arrive. She flashes back to their dance at the 'gala' (I swear Aiden looks 10 years younger in that flashback).
Andre may now be wearing the Phoenix's ring, but he's no Stefano. As for Aiden, perhaps spending several months in Andre's cage, being gassed regularly, and only having only a dead little bird for company has aged him. Elsewhere, things weren't going too well for the Salem P.D. Rafe and Roman were forced to drop charges against Andre because of Monahan's ridiculous story. Its whole rationale depends on the absurd supposition that the DiMeras thirst for revenge would be satisfied if he went to jail. That just doen't cut it. If Monahan's story was true Andre wouldn't be satisfied until the Irishman was stabbed to death in the prison yard. Finally, when will Hope wake up about the shyster lawyer and is John wise recruiting his son for Black Patch Investigations? In this line of work, Paul is almost certain to eventually be in a coma followed by amnesia. After all, like father, like son.

I don't know Andre's speech sounded more like something Richard Jr., might say. Ha I just I would open with a little Shakespeare joke. And yes I do mean little. Microscopic you might say.

Anyway it's time to dispense with jovial banter and get down to business:

I don't know if was the fact that Michael Monahan's initials were MM or his overall thuggish demeanor and appearance but I could help think of a former professional wrestler turned character actor name Mike Mazurski who appeared in 100 movies starting in the 1940s up until his passing at the age of 82 in 1990. I doubt this was intended to be any kind of homage since most people wouldn't know the name. And I learned from his Wikipedia page that Mazurzki originally hailed from the Ukraine so he wasn't Irish.

For the curious you can see the guy in the video for Rod Stewart's "Infatuation" on You Tube or just Google him whatever is easier. LOL

Why am I going about this you might ask? Well I found thinking about that more interesting then what was actually happening on the show. LOL

I just can't with Hope and the Pacific Northwest Nitwit (Why oh why did they have to make him from my home turf? sigh). I've seen a lot of people suggesting that Hope is playing What's-His-Name to find out if he's on the level or not. If that is the case then I wish they would let the audience in on it because as of right now Hope is just looking really stupid.

OH, wow, Troy, you are right. I was trying to think who Monahan reminded me of, I guess Mazurki did not pop into my head because was he ever in a shirt and tie? LOL Well, guess if he was in 40s movies, he would have had to be, though most of the guys in the 40s movies wore hats as well. Ha. He was a big man...I mean very tall. :)

I'm just so disappointed in the writing staff of our beloved DOOL. Are they incapable of providing decent scripts, do they not want to, do they not care, or do they really believe this is quality material? This is pathetic. These stories seem to be tossed together without any thought what so ever.

I felt bad for Brady today as it seemed to be let's bash Theresa day. Yes she has in the past been quite the shrew and I can't believe I'm saying this, but she's done a 180 turn and seems to be trying. Deleted spoiler info in non-spoiler forum - JS

Watching Hope lock lips with Aiden actually turned my stomach. I sure hope the speculation of posts I've read are correct and she has something up her sleeve. No one can be this stupid, even on soaps, but then again, the Days writers seem to have a hard time coming up with interesting script.

So sorry to rattle on but as I've mentioned before, with the lack of good material I'm concerned for the future of Days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Jason.

Yes, Tate is older. At first, I thought he was a younger Parker.

Somehow Aiden got Monahan to confess to killing Stefano. How did Aiden know the details
about the gun used? Did Andre tell him? And will we ever know who was calling Hope?

Roman and Rafe need to speak louder in the cop shop when they talk it was
Hope who
killed Stefano. I thought it was funny when Justin kept asking them how do you know it wasn't
Manahan who did it.

Showing the flashback with Hope and Aiden's dance, made me hate him more since he's
not the same guy now.

Poor Chad, he forgot to get rid of the secret door when he changed the locks
on the house.
I think Stefano said "It's good to be back" almost every time he came back to Salem.

I enjoyed Paul and John.

Shows how well I paid attention. I completely missed Tate. Does anyone have a screenshot of him?

I don't have much to say except I thought Belle and Shawn were glaringly absent today. Belle should have been in the scenes with John and her brothers while Ciara should have called her brother for support when she hung up with Rafe. Or Marlena should have called him. I love Rafe but I do NOT want to see him become Daniel where he is all things to all people. Ciara has a mom, a brother, a sister-in-law, a niece, Theo, etc that she should confide in before Rafe. I was really annoyed by this.

I'm interested to see how a professional athlete can serve as a PI in a small town. :rolleyes:

Does Gabi still live in Salem?

The thought of the difficulties of a former sports star trying to serve as a private investigator also occurred to me. Imagine basketball standout Lebron James, legendary quarterback Peyton Manning, and Red Sox hero Big Papi Ortiz working as P.I.'s. It just doesn't work. Paul can forget about going undercover, and if he's keeping tabs on some guy whose wife thinks that he's a cheat, he'd soon be beset by well-wishers and autograph seekers. He might soon be reduced to saying: "C'mon people, I'm trying to to some P.I. work here!"

Poirot- I can't say for sure if Mike Mazurki wore a suit and tie in all of his roles but since he got his start playing hoods and henchmen in forties gangster flicks, it's probably safe to assume that a suit and tie as well a fedora were his usual cinematic attire. And yes at 6'5" he was definitely an imposing figure.

I don't think the guy playing Monahan was quite that tall but he gave off the same type of vibe. If they were active at the same time I could see them being in direct competition for roles.

Heather-I just wanted to thank you for being the one to say "Where the heck is Gabi?" so I didn't have to. LOL

But I'm probably well enough known here by now that most people know that even if I don't mention her the subtext for whatever I post is always "Where the heck is Gabi?" LOL

Looks as tho Tate has been aged a bit.
Thanks, I was wondering about that. The last time we saw him was that uncomfortable scene, right?

I'm pretty sure Hope's phone said it was Rafe.

The John/Paul scenes weren't bad, but to me, Paul becoming a PI makes no sense. I'd be OK with him getting story if John & Steve's PI agency actually ever had any.
I want to see John, Steve and Paul leap into action.
Hear, hear. But please for your own safety, Writer - don't hold your breath.
she's done a 180 turn and seems to be trying
Speaking of sharp turns, how about this Days writing? Story direction changes so quick, you'll get whiplash. At least the writers are...trying?
Showing the flashback with Hope and Aiden's dance, made me hate him more since he's
not the same guy now.
He sure isn't....

The thing about Paul/PI ....he said he was good at analytics, and how his mom always said he was so good at reading people. He COULD possibly work more in the background for Black Patch......analyzing info, studying the people with whom the company comes in contact.

As to recognition...That fades away after a bit, and really......not everyone recognizes all sports figures, no matter how famous. The name maybe, if they pay attention to the news.

Once upon a time, there were not that many teams as there are now. Whether baseball, football, basketball, hockey...but there are so many now, plus added sports like soccer, golf, tennis, so unless you are a huge fan of a particular sport, those players can go anywhere and not be bothered. Just my opinion.

Back