Days of Our Lives - Thurs., July 1, 2021

embrb

Reaction score
Just want to start by saying that I haven't watched an episode in a while and have been catching up on this thread, so it was fun to see the faces behind the characters - like since when is Gwen British?! :)

And we start with a new day. It's the 4th of July, also Lani and Eli's first anniversary!

The smoke alarm is going off in Eli's kitchen, he runs in wearing just a towel. As he bends over to open the oven, guess who walks in as his towel falls AGAIN? Chanel smirks as she admires the view.

Shirtless Xander is asleep on the Horton couch. Gwen throws water on his face to wake him up, demanding to know what he did with Dr. Snyder's body.

Ben walks into this apartment to see Ciara on his bed, excitedly telling him that she remembers everything. It's all a dream, he jolts awake as he hears a knock on his door. He looks at the door, thinking it's her. Instead, it's Claire, basically forcing him to join her, Allie and Tripp at the lake for a day of swimming.

Tripp and Allie in her room, flirting about going to the lake. She's happy she now has someone (him) to carry the bags and coolers, something she had to do herself in England.

Chanel complains about the burnt cake, she had headphones on and didn't hear the smoke alarm. The cake is for the surprise anniversary party Eli is throwing for Lani (Lani thinks she is having a quiet celebration at home because Eli is burned-out (ha, no pun intended) at work). Eli says he wants to surprise his wife, but she cannot find out about this. "Find out about what?" Lani is behind them. Chanel covers and said she burnt a dessert she was making. Lani says Eli burns things all the time, so what's the secret? Chanel blurts out, "I saw him naked again."

Paulina's place, she and Abe are eating breakfast. Paulina never wanted to find romance, never dated much in Miami. "Maybe because the right guy isn't in Miami, maybe he's here," says Abe.

Ben, Claire, Tripp and Allie are the lake. The girls go in the water while the boys stay back and have a beer. They talk about their relationships Tripp admits that he never thought he and Allie would be even friends, but now thinks anything is possible. Asks about Claire. Just friends, says Ben. Ciara may be across the world and possibly with someone else, but I will never stop fighting to get her back.

Gwen and Xander still talking about Dr. Snyder. Gwen can't sit on the couch anymore, she still sees his corpse. Xander said that Julie rented a steam cleaner to get rid of stench of the guy she thinks has just passed out from a night of drinks. They then go back and forth on whether Xander killed him. The chemistry is great with these two.

Gwen: You choked him.
Xander: But he was still alive when I let him go.
Gwen: But then he dropped dead.

Eli's kitchen. Lani tells Chanel that this is the third time she has seen him naked. "I have excellent timing," Chanel responds (Ha!) The babies start to fuss and Chanel tells Eli and Lani that maybe it's time for her to move out, that she is grateful for all of their help even though they've had to put up with her drama. They both appreciate that. Lani goes to check on the babies, tells Eli to keep his towel on. After she walks away, Eli tells Chanel that Lani will feel better at the party. Chanel leaves.

Abe and Paulina talk about the surprise party and plans after, inviting her to see the fireworks. She evades and then declines, telling him she has business calls to make. Abe tells her she's doing a lot of good for a lot of people on this project she's working on.

Xander tells Gwen he has experience disposing of bodies, but she is still nervous about someone finding him. He tells her to feel better, the creep that is blackmailing you is gone and he won't be calling or harassing you ever again. You are free to enjoy the life you started with your dad.

Ben and Tripp talk about the divorce papers, Ben set them on fire. She keeps texting and asking him to send them back, but he ignores and is waiting for her to return with her memories. Claire and Allie run back scared. There is a body in the lake. It's a corpse.

Paulina is on the phone with the foreman. The demolition of the town square has to happen today. She is paying them extra because it's a holiday. Just get it done. Chanel walks in, asked what's happening at the town square? Paulina covers, that she was making sure with the foreman that everything is set up to start after the holiday.

Tripp and Ben roll the corpse out of the water and roll him over. Yep, it's Dr. Snyder. Ben notices Tripp's expression and asks if he knows him. "He's my boss."

Gwen and Xander sitting on the couch, eating store bought donuts, comparing to Julie's. Xander tells Gwen that she's nervous because she has a guilty conscience about something Dr. Snyder has on her, but what? Gwen asks Xander why she should trust him to know.

Eli asks Lani if she's angry. She says no, that it's their first anniversary and she's not allowing herself to get upset about Chanel. She's also fine about staying home, they can go out next year. Exchange I love yous, Lani goes back to baby. After she leaves the kitchen, he gets the call about the dead body at the lake.

Xander says he's very trustworthy and very charming, and they just covered up a dead body together. Gwen admits that they have been getting along lately, but denies the charm. Xander repeats the question about what's been keeping her up at night. Gwen has him swear he won't tell anyone. If Jack finds out, it will ruin her relationship with him. Xander swears confidence.

This is a really good scene. I had to type the dialogue as she was speaking to get it all:

Gwen starts - "Jack asked me to move in. I was packing my things and started getting a pain, like a bad cramp but it lasted quite awhile. I went to the hospital and Dr. Snyder told me I miscarried. It was before I fell down the stairs. I was in such a daze. I went to the DiMera house to tell Chad but ran into Abigail first. I tried to tell her but she just ripped right into me and was so cruel and said I'd be a terrible mother. It's not true, I would have treasured that baby. I was so angry I slapped her across the face and chased her and ended up at the top of the stairs. She grabbed my wrist and said she wanted to be rid of me. I tried to break free from her and I fell. Everyone assumed the fall caused the miscarriage, and I wanted to hurt Abigail, and make everyone believe that my precious sister caused the miscarriage on purpose. Jack now knows that the fall was an accident but still believes the fall caused the miscarriage. Talking to him about it helped us get closer, if he find out the truth it will change us forever." Xander agrees, that if Jack found out, he will hate what she's done.

Eli is at the lake questioning Tripp about Dr. Snyder. The group wonders how he died, drowning, fell off a boat? Eli is waiting on the coroner, but doesn't believe it was an accident.

Abe shows up to Lani's with flowers, talks about plans for the 4th and their anniversary. Lani is having a quiet evening at home, Abe will watch the fireworks alone. Abe tells Lani what Paulina said about not seeing anyone for a long time and wanted to move slow. Lani has a flashback when Paulina told her that she was seeing someone right up until she came to Salem. Lani tells Abe she thinks Paulina is hiding something.

Paulina and Chanel talk at Paulina's. Chanel asks if she can crash there for a little while. No, nothing happened with Eli and Lani, just need to give them privacy. Paulina says ok, then says that he dad is smiling down on her, very proud of who she is. Chanel says the same that he would be proud of Paulina as well, especially on the project in the square.

Eli takes statements and leaves, tells Tripp he is not a suspect, then asks if Dr. Snyder had any issues at work he should be aware of. Tripp tells him about the miscount of the painkillers and that he told Kayla and she would handle it. He also said that there was tension between him and Gwen.

Xander tells Gwen he won't tell her secret. He hates that she's deceiving Jack but understands why she did it. He can relate to wanting a relationship with a father. He keeps trying to prove myself worthy with the Kiriakis men, but they only show love and pride with each other. He can pretend it doesn't hurt but it does. He tells her he would never ruin her relationship with Jack. She hugs him, then pulls away apologizing. They stare at each other and lean in, but are interrupted by the door. Eli is there to tell Gwen that Dr. Snyder is dead. She comments how awful that is, then asks what it has to do with her.

Ben and Claire arrive back at Ben's. He apologizes that she had to see that (corpse), and invites her in to watch fireworks. She declines, her dad has been texting her nonstop, he must know about the body and so she has to go call him.

Ben walks in to his apartment, sees Ciara sitting on his bed looking at him, just like in his dream. She looks sad. End.

I really thought what was troubling Gwen was when Laura died. I still say she just needs to fess up about losing baby. Abigail will still look bad. Gwen came to tell Chad.

I am not an Abe/Paulina fan but guess it will end when the truth comes out.

Gee why do I think Ciara being there isn't going to be the long awaited reunion. Ugh.

This has bothered me since Paulina first started talking about her plans for the square: Are building permits not required in Salem? If they are required, there must be very detailed plans -- approved in advance of ANY construction work -- and work must be inspected every step of the way. So how does she get to just proceed without anyone knowing what she is doing?

Since the character was first seen in Bayview as Claire's friend.
Really? She just didn't fit the character of a bratty girl from Philly who ended up at a mental institution. She reminds me of Kate Beckinsale. As I mentioned, it's fun to see who is playing the roles I only read about. Like seeing a movie based on the book you've read where you already have an image of what the characters should look like.

This has bothered me since Paulina first started talking about her plans for the square: Are building permits not required in Salem? If they are required, there must be very detailed plans -- approved in advance of ANY construction work -- and work must be inspected every step of the way. So how does she get to just proceed without anyone knowing what she is doing?
Amen. Paulina's project is truly an only-in-Salem event. After all, nothing there is professionally done, including the building permit/inspection process. The locals are lucky that building collapses aren't an everyday event.

Eli: Call him Mr. Wardrobe Malfunction. If he's going to continue to parade around in a towel, he clearly needs some instruction from Xander, who's a real expert in that area.

Xander: If he's so experienced at disposing of dead bodies, why did he dump a man in a suit in Salem Lake? Instead why not leave him in the depths of the Salem tunnels where some drunken teenagers might find his mummified remains twenty-years from now? In the alternative, he could have left Snyder in a chair in his hospital office. After all, everyone knows how easy it is to get people in or out of the hospital without being noticed.

Claire & Allie; Now that they've found Snyder in the lake, somebody should tell them that the place is haunted by he ghost of Willow Stark who died after a fall on the beach. That should put a quick end to their beach-going.

Oh, don't ask questions about real-life policies and procedures. That's just going to throw a wrench in the storytelling. Just imagine that buildings magically get erected without plans, inspections, or permits. One day, they're going to wander through the square and there will be a 20-story high rise.

I loved the scenes with Xander and Gwen. I'm so on board with this relationship. I hate that Sarah is still out there and that they have ignored the loose thread of why no one has heard from her, but I like all that Xander and Gwen have in common. I like how they're building a foundation for them to become friends and get close. This is a more equal relationship. Xander was always going to feel like he was lucky Sarah wanted him.

I'm not excited about Ciara's return. They've ruined this storyline for me. I want Ben to move on—probably not with Claire, although normally that would be a good pairing. I don't want to see Ben pushing to pursue a woman who has told him no. How wrong Ciara is about their history doesn't matter. That's what she wants. I'm begging the writers to have Ben respect that.

I'm loving Gwen and Xander. I can't believe I wrote that, but I did. Unlike Sarah, Gwen isn't trying to change Xander or acting like she is better than him so he can grovel for her attention it's a refreshing change of pace. I'm sorry Sarah got abducted, but I hope if they ever do bring Sarah back they show Xander's love for her was more an obsession born of wanting to please his family and fit into polite society than genuine affection. Xander and Gwen have only been teased for a short while yet I already believe their budding relationship is more balanced and natural than anything Xander had with Sarah.

Thanks for the summary, embrb. You did an excellent job! I wish I could summarize like that without rambling.

I haven't watched yet but really, Eli and his towel are getting to be ridiculous! If he can't put one on and make it stay, he needs to find a different type of covering.

I'm also on board with Xander and Gwen. Never thought I could enjoy her in any situation but she and Xander are making a good match.

Thanks, embrb. Great job and welcome to the summary squad.

Today the doorway to the Horton living room was only half open. I kept thinking someone was
behind it listening. Maybe we'll see Xander on the side listening to Eli and Gwen.

Xander is losing his touch of disposing of bodies since it didn't take long for someone to find it.

Eli had the Salem brain today since he figured out Dr. Snyder's death probably not an accident
based on what he was wearing.

So, Paulina is having the Horton Square destroyed on a holiday. Hopefully, there will be so much noise
someone will notice. Abe said the other day the permit he gave her was for doing things inside the
buildings.

Is the first day we learned Paulina was a widow?

Back