Days of Our Lives - Thurs., May 16, 2019

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Thursday, May 16, 2019

Claire wanders the living room, talking aloud about how Haley ruined her life, is leaving the country, but for some reason she is the bad guy. She starts throwing figurines across the room in anger, as Ciara arrives, wanting to know what is going on. Claire does her usual evading, telling part of the truth, but painting herself as innocent of any wrong doing. Ciara sympathizes, comforts, and then eventually helps Claire to start cleaning up. Claire finally admits what she did, and giving the recording to Eve. Ciara understands, more comforting, then they pick up pieces of smashed stuff, Ciara even figuring she might be able to mend one. Claire starts to say it isn't all she did, there is more, even to Ciara, who shushes her, has forgiven her, no need to rehash. They hug, tho Claire looks contrite.

Melinda explains all to Haley, even with Agent Smith harping on them getting going. She was 17, still in China, going with a boy from prominent family, far above them. She did not even want to admit to herself she was pregnant, kept hiding it, til one day Mama caught her unawares, saw her. Baba (Daddy) had a fit, Melinda had brought shame on the family. (father never told....was to marry a gal from prominent family). Mama, against his wishes, announced she was pregnant, took Melinda to a friend's home in far south where she gave birth. She was able to hold Haley then, but Mama came, took her. Melinda went to America, not welcome in their home.

JJ is trying to get Agent Smith to relent, but it is pointed out Haley was born in China, and Melinda was not yet an American citizen, even tho she is now. She goes to call the pilot, Melinda is apologizing, was shocked when Haley arrived, did her best, but should have done more. They argue back and forth, Smith comes with an agent, all are in the square now. Tripp rushes up with a duffle bag with Haley's belongings, she thanks him, hug.

Jennifer is finishing typing her story, at the Pub of course, why go to Spectator office? :sarcasm: She gets the notice the results are in. Abe arrives, says it wasn't good news for him. Jen is sorry, Abe says the voters have spoken. He has to call Jack and concede.

Jack & Eve in bed, all giddy, he won, is now mayor-elect. Eve gloats, Abe calls, concedes, hopes Jack does right by the town of Salem. He doesn't even reply, just says thanks, hangs up, off to victory party. Eve suggests she join him in the shower.

Ted is sympathizing with Hope over the divorce. She says no, he really is not sorry, doesn't want to talk about it with him. They end up going out for a drink, or dinner or something, and run into Jack & Eve. Hope has a few words about Jack's vendetta against Haley, who is now on her way to China, all alone on a plane. She berates Jack a bit, who says he has realized his first thing to do when he takes office. He tells Hope she will be fired, unless she hands her resignation in first. Nope, she won't do that. Then she is out. Ted says if she goes, so do I. Jack tries a bit to convince him to stay on, needs someone like him, …......but so be it. Eve says worry about this later, in fact after you take the oath, you can announce Hope is fired. Off they go.

Abe is talking aloud to Lexie, wishing she was there with him now. Along comes Kayla. They talk, she tells him to come inside, have a drink. He says no, but then agrees, they sit and talk, drink, toasting Jack & Eve failing.

Over to Hope & Ted, also drinking wine, yakking away. She is talking of Rafe, how he could always make her laugh, lame jokes, even in stressful situations. She seems to be feeling her wine.....anyway, she decides she is going to sign the papers, takes out a pen. She had these drawn up, she SHOULD sign them, and she does.

Jennifer is walking thru park, sees Melinda on bench. She stops, says her name. Melinda turns around, Jen is wide eyed, ...what are you doing. Melinda is holding a gun.

JJ, Agent Smith, Tripp, Haley, the other agent are in the square. Haley tells Tripp she is so sorry for all trouble she caused. She puts duffle bag on her shoulder, Smith tells the other agent to get Haley into the van. Suddenly, JJ pushes the agent, Tripp falls against him, JJ grabs Haley, and takes off running, the male agent getting up, giving chase. Tripp looks at the escaping JJ & Haley, smiles.

Mine was completely preempted for weather. Not close to me, but tornadoes. I may get thunderstorm. I'm sure they will replay overnight. Already have it set. But wow Jack did win. If he fires Hope though I'm on board for that!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack: He won -- what a joke. This is the worst thing to happen to Salem since the election of Mayor EJ. To paraphrase a remark made at the start of WWI by British Foreign Minister Sir Edward Gray: "The lights are going out all over Salem, we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime." As for his unseemly glee at winning, Jack ought to think again. By messing with Hope and Ted, he's possibly acquired some formidable enemies.
  • Ghost Bo: Nobody messes with his Fancy Face without paying a serious price.
  • Hope: As Ben knows, once she's out to get you, she simply won't give up.
  • Ted: This professional snake can probably think of multiple plots that will make Jack's life absolutely miserable.
  • Julie: At the very least, she'll ban Jack and Eve from Doug's Place for life. At the worst, she'll put her imagination into some diabolical plots.
  • JJ: He could write a book that would make both Jack and Eve the laughingstocks of Salem.
  • Jenny: She could run headlines in the Spectator about Jack and Eve that would make anything in the National Enquirer look mild.
  • President Xi of China: If he learns about Jack's awful mistreatment of a Chinese citizen, he might just send some secret agents after him and Eve who would make the cartel thugs look like little kitty cats.
Claire: She's another one who ought to watch out. If Victor learns about what she did to Maggie's precious figurines, he just might decide that she has to work off her debt in the K-mansion greenhouse. E.g., "You nasty little vixen, here are some overalls, a shovel, hoe, and rake. Get busy!"

The writing was all over the place. First, Agent Smith said she needed to go talk to the pilot, kind of implying that they were having a private plane take Haley from Salem to China because she wouldn't be able to speak to the pilot of a real airline, which made me laugh. Then she made a comment about being at the airport 2 hours early for an international flight; then she said the van was waiting, so it all just seems so lame, when all Haley was carrying was that one duffle bag.

And, I don't know why they made such a big deal about Melinda being her mother if, as they said, they were both born in China and then Melinda came here after Haley was born. That would have no impact on Haley's immigration status, so what is the point? And we see Melinda with a gun (in public, of course). Assuming she will be gunning for Jack (wish she would shoot Eve).

I did feel sorry for Claire today. It really is sad in that she is all alone (although surrounded by relatives) and is doing a good job descending into crazy town.

Jack and Eve are even more disgusting and obnoxious than I thought was possible. I truly think that this is the Jack that the powers that be want to punish the Jack fans with since they really didn't want him back.

But, it does feel that the last few days are moving faster, even with replays.

@gramcracker......No, I don't think you missed much at all. Melinda did a good job of explaining how she is the mother...........but in my opinion, it was lame of the writers. I mean, why tell the tale, if it is not a way to keep Haley in the U.S. ?? And why is there not a hearing of some kind, where hospital and school personnel could testify as to the asset she is? Will confess that at the 25 min. mark, I looked at clock, thinking it was 50 minutes in. Just seemed so slow.
Hope/Ted scenes were filler, boring. Jack/Eve were lame, as much as I like them, Kayla/Abe were filler, as was Jen, and even Ciara/Claire seemed lame. The few moments of interest don't excuse the rest.
Hard to believe this is all on purpose....has to be ulterior motive somewhere.

It would have made way more sense for them to make the bio-dad for Haley an American or had Melinda get pregnant while in America or something. The reveal has to count for something, right? Otherwise, what's the point?

The pilot line made me laugh out loud and roll my eyes, but then nothing about Agent Smith makes a lick of sense.

Is Jack going to "Mayor" from a hotel room? Has he even established residency? I can't get over this giant plot hole. I can't use the city dump without showing a water bill, let alone run the government. For the love of all that is holy, Days just needs to build more sets or figure out how to set dress to re-use sets better so people have homes. Half the town lives in the Salem Inn. Maybe that's how Jack won. There are 5 people with an actual residence and they all work for ICE or have recently been targeted by the cartel.

The actress who plays Claire is earning her money this week. She does a great job of balancing horrible behavior and narcissism with genuine feelings and flashes of full-on crazy without seeming like a cartoon. You really believe she's just an absolute mess, and that keeps you feeling for her.

While I like the drama of the end, I can't believe that assaulting a federal marshall is going to do wonders for JJ's future. The writers are playing this like a teen drama.

Thanks, Poirot.

Lisa, I wondered the same thing about the plane since different things were said.

I think Hope and Rafe have gotten the fastest divorce in history. Hope talked to
Belle on the same day the papers were signed. All that's left is to file them.

So, Jack is mayor. I wonder how fast he'll have to resign when everyone finds
out
how he got the job?

WOW, Claire confessed to Ciara that she taped Tripp and used it to get rid
of Haley. Too bad Ciara wouldn't let her finish. Claire might have told her
she set fire to the cabin.

Nice to hear Abe say Lexie.

Yuck. I recorded this episode so I could watch it when I got home last night. Boo hiss. I could not make myself watch Jack and Eve. Also could not watch Hope. I feel sad about that because she used to be one of my favorite characters.
I don't know why anyone would think that the fact that Melinda is Haley's mother [and not her sister] would change ANYTHING about Haley's status. That was just thrown in for drama, I guess. ???

Lil0, everything you expressed is a perfect description of how I felt about this episode. I used to like Hope a lot. Can't stand to watch her now. Jack and Eve, disgustingly silly. Hard to believe two people so silly are living in adult bodies. I was disappointed that Melinda being revealed as Haley's mother was such a dead end. Is that really all there's going to be to that story?

It's sad that Claire and Ciara are gonna be close now. I can only assume Claire setting the fire will come out since they have told us and then their relationship will be trashed again. It was sweet that Ciara was sympathetic to Claire.

Jack winning is just ridiculous. I was never a Jack fan so I wasn't on the bandwagon to bring him back. But this version of Jack is the most awful despicable human ever. Not sure why they bring a character back for us to hate.

I also don't understand the story about Melinda being Haley's mother. Wasn't a surprise. We all saw it coming a mile away. It doesn't change anything. She was born in China. Her father is a wealthy chinese man. Makes no sense.

Would've made way more sense if Melinda had given birth here, or if the father was American. But then, Haley and JJ wouldn't have had to go on the run and bond. :rolleyes:

Speaking of Haley and JJ, their room looks like a room at the Martin House.

So Hope is upset with Rafe for signing the papers that she sent him to sign? And then she's also upset that he didn't put her first while she goes out with another man? Ok got it. What exactly has Hope done for Rafe lately? She didn't even visit him in the hospital. I cannot wait for the truth about Ted to come out so Rafe can be proven right. As much as people are happy about Hope and Rafe divorcing, I don't think they're done.

While I agreed with what Hope said to Jack, she really is an idiot for speaking to her boss that way. Let's just hope that she doesn't get rehired eventually.

I really like Melinda. She is a villain that you love to hate yet at the same time, she's now developing as a character and showing her human side. I know the actress' real life husband is a Broadway actor but I wish they'd find a way to put her on contract.

Too bad Eve couldn't be the one running away from Salem instead of Haley and JJ

Back