Days of Our Lives - Tues., Mar. 6, 2018

The Rafe and Hope mess: As I was watching the scenes with Jennifer and Hope, and Rafe and Ciara, I was reminded of the stand-alone episode with Rafe a couple of years ago. In that episode Rafe and Hope had fallen into an elaborate trap set by Andre for the purpose of killing them. Hope had been injured in an explosion and as Rafe tired to find a way out, he was visited by hallucinations of his parents, Gabi and even Doug talking about the "Great Love" between Hope and Rafe. In the thread for that episode I posted that while I didn't dislike it, I also felt it didn't quite work. I said that I felt it broke the first rule of drama which is "show, don't tell." And Rafe's visitations were simply telling us how powerful their love was but the show hadn't shown us that.

I had the exact problem with today's episode. I didn't dislike the scenes, but again Jennifer and Ciara were telling us the audience how much Rafe and Hope love each other. I feel they have tell us because it isn't showing up on screen.

I like Rafe and Hope individually as characters, but as a couple, I'm indifferent to them. I don't know if it's that the writers are finding them a tough nut to crack story-wise, or maybe the actors simply don't have the right chemistry. But whatever the problem is, I'm still not buying them as the "epic love story" they are trying to sell.

Gabi and Eli: Not surprisingly I thought these scenes worked well. I still think they could have potential. So I would like to see them get through this. But after Gabi told Eli she was willing to work through this as long as he promised there were no more secrets and lies he continued to hold back. I don't think they are going to make it. :sad:

The thing is, you could almost make the argument that Eli doesn't technically lie to Gabi, it's more that he omits things. For example, when she found Lani's earring in his room, he told her it must have fellen out when Lani was there on Christmas Eve. Which is true. He just forgot to add "It must have happened as we were falling into bed." Same with today. He did ask Lani if the baby she was carrying was his, and she said it was not. That part was true, he just didn't add "Then she came back and told me that was a lie. The baby's mine."

So you could say he is almost totally honest with Gabi, but unfortunately "almost" only counts in horseshoes.

A brief word on the JJ and Steve scene. I appreciated it, but I found it jarring because when Kayla and Steve came upon JJ and Lani, I half expected JJ to stick out his hand and say "JJ Deveraux, nice to meet you." I've been watching since 2014 and I honestly don't remember JJ and Steve having a single scene together in all the time Steve has been back on the show. So I think anybody who just started watching in the past year so would probably have been scratching their heads over that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Poirot.

rs, I wondered too if JJ would hear the message Eli left for Lani.

Why didn't Brady go outside when he talked to Victor on the phone?
He better hope Eve doesn't have super hearing.

I'm glad Jen and Ciara know Hope and Rafe are married.

I wonder how long it will be before Gabi knows Eli is the
father of
Lani's baby? And Eli had his chance to tell her the truth about it. I
guess he hasn't been in Salem long enough to know there are no
secrets in town.

JJ and Lani forgot a Jack name, Jack O Lantern :)

After Claire, Eve is my next least favorite character on the show. Brady has become despicable and disgusting. I don't like what he's doing to Eve, but her personality has always grated on me. Feeling sorry for her hasn't changed that. Maybe she and Claire could go away and work on that magazine thing together. They might as well take Brady with them.

Eli. There was a time when I liked him but his stupidity passed the point of no return in today's episode. If the really huge part of his secret remains a secret for a week, it will become an insult to all of us who are watching.

I liked Jennifer's jacket. Not sure it went well with a plain-Jane ponytail.

Eli says he has told her all there is for her to know.
Again, a missed opportunity for an original story. Boo!!
He grins.....hey, how about Vegas, baby?
I really hope she marries him with a pre-nup that favours her financially and leaves him with nothing but the proverbial barrel and bindle.

LOL, I am thinking this Eve is just a bit too crafty to get hornswaggled by the likes of the over confident Brady Black. Heck, she managed to marry the sly Deimos, and come out of that rather wealthy. LOL

I was thinking yesterday she wasn't drinking as much as Brady. Maybe she'll have him sign
some paper when he's not paying attention.

Actually, he ordered her a drink, and she said something about being one up on him already. So, he seemed to be drinking more slowly, I guess.

The thing is, you could almost make the argument that Eli doesn't technically lie to Gabi, it's more that he omits things. For example, when she found Lani's earring in his room, he told her it must have fellen out when Lani was there on Christmas Eve. Which is true. He just forgot to add "It must have happened as we were falling into bed." Same with today. He did ask Lani if the baby she was carrying was his, and she said it was not. That part was true, he just didn't add "Then she came back and told me that was a lie. The baby's mine."
Eli better not try the I-did-not-technically-lie approach on Gabi. It just wouldn't wash. Rafe didn't lie either and now he's in a world of hurt.
Why didn't Brady go outside when he talked to Victor on the phone? He better hope Eve doesn't have super hearing.
Brady is a typical Salemite: totally oblivious to the fact that he might be overheard. As for Eve, she doesn't need super hearing. All she has to do is magically appear in a place where she can eavesdrop like so many Salemites before her.
I really hope she marries [Brady]with a pre-nup that favours her financially and leaves him with nothing but the proverbial barrel and bindle.
If Brady actually does this, Victor would go through the roof. Brady would be lucky if the old grouch doesn't exile him to the K-mansion gardens and greenhouse the way he once did with Xander.

Thanks for the summary. It was an OK show. Some good conversations. The Eve-Brady thing was filler, but wasn't terrible. Kayla & Patch also was filler but again, decent. I'm glad Gabi knows the truth about the affair, but shocked she decided to forgive Eli! I'm sure it won't last once she learns about the baby's paternity. Hope & Rafe, meanwhile, is getting old. I liked Hope and "cuz" talking, as well as Ciara's conversation with Rafe. But please, stop trying to make Hope & Rafe happen. It's never going to happen! (For those of you who don't get the reference, it's from Mean Girls)

Back