Days of Our Lives - Wed., Aug. 31, 2016

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Wed., August 31, 2016

A very sad, emotional show today, as we see family & friends mourning Abigail. In the square, Claire & her mom have been on a shopping spree, sit on a bench, talk of Claire's potential career, her job with Chloe hopefully leading to getting on the charts in the next year. The talk turns to love troubles, with Claire talking of liking this boy, she thinks he likes her, but she is not sure he is over someone else. Belle is sympathetic, young love is often misguided, she makes a remark about Chloe, Claire refers to her mom calling her Ghoul Girl. Nope, that was Mimi, and thus a mention is made of when Mimi was married to Dad, & Mom married to Uncle Philip. !!

Ciara has a huge bouquet of flowers for Jennifer, as Theo comes up, wondering if he should send some. Ciara tells him to sign the card, too, it will be from them both, he does, they leave to go to Jen's, run into Belle & Claire, who goes with them. When Belle sees her holding Theos hand, she has gotten the clue as to who "the boy" is.

Over at DiMansion, Chad is talking on the phone, thanking someone for checking on something, Jen arrives. She knows how he is feeling, but it is only a minute or so before they are arguing big time. Yes, about Thomas, but also Jen is blaming Chad for what happened to Abby, he should not have put her in that hospital, yada, yada. He reminds her that was Marlena's idea, is she going to blame her, too? They go back & forth, Jen feels he did not keep her safe, he asks if he should have let Ben do whatever. He wonders if she remembers the genes Abby inherited, how Abby was always so scared of ending like her grandmother. They really go back & forth, she wants Thomas safe, he can't believe she still is thinking of taking Thomas away from him, goes on about her O.D.ing last night in some seedy motel, calls her an addict, her brother is one, does she think any court will give her custody. She doesn't want custody, just that he is safe, and if Chad won't make sure of it, she will.

Later, Chad has been drinking, comes into the study, talks to a picture of Abby (I think it is their wedding picture). He talks of when they met, how he called her a brat, made her mad. He goes on, then is looking around the room, remembering aloud how he promised her he would renovate. Chad is crying (Gad this guy is so good)....and then says, heck, Abby, so let's renovate, as he begins knocking things off table tops, tossing furniture, pulling all the books off the shelves. He finally sits on the floor, sobbing....which is where Belle finds him. She strokes his head, goes and makes strong black coffee, and they have a heart to heart talk.

Over at Jen's Doug & Julie have welcomed the 3 teens, Lucas & Adrienne are there, awkward small talk, a mention of Claire's singing, wanting tips to avoid stage fright from Doug, Ciara makes a face, leaves the room, Julie follows, tries to comfort her. But she must talk the kids into leaving, because Jen returns and they are all gone. Julie mentions perhaps planning a memorial for Jen, she refuses, cannot do that now, maybe later, when she has had more time. Lucas is hugging her, Adrienne, Doug & Julie. They mention the martin house being sold, they will be able to stay with Jen as long as she needs them. She suggests that as long as they are all there, they remember some things about Abigail. And so they tell a few stories....Adrienne talks of the hippo toy some co-worker gave to Abby when she was born, it said MOO. They tell a few stories, Jen talks of when she hired Abby to come work with her, how good she was, etc. Lucas & Adrienne figure they will postpone their wedding, Jen refuses to let them do that. Lucas finally gets jen to tell the two of them she went to see Chad, she talks of failing to keep Abby safe, just wanting to be sure Thomas is always safe.

Sonny meets up with an upset Gabi at the Pub, she tells of her father leaving, how she has tried to explain it to Ari, she is too young to understand. She mentions JJ calling last night about Abby, Sonny is still holding out hope, so Gabi has to break the news about the plane going down, etc. She did not realize he did not know. He asks her to come with him, and they are at Will's gravesite, where Sonny talks to his late husband.

The teens are at Claire's place, Theo asking her to sing, that music helps people when they are having problems. She takes the guitar, and sings Amazing Grace...and as she sings, there are flashes of Jen's house, her being in the arms of various family members, and of Chad & Belle. It really is rather lovely. Later, Claire tells Ciara she hopes that her friendship with Theo isn't going to make anything awkward between the 3 of them. Nope. Theo returns with 3 bags of each of their favs. But Ciara decides she has to leave.

Chad thanks Belle for coming, she really has been a help to him, his trashing the room has been cathartic for him. He has decided he wants to make DiMera Enterprises very legit, legal, for Thomas, and in Abby's honor. Wants Belle to come work for him, will need good legal help. She mentions only being defense lawyer, but he thinks she is smart. She will have good pay, benefits, her own hours, and can still have her practice on the side. She decides she will think about it. First, let's clean up this mess. They begin to pick up in the room.

At Jen's, Julie says she wants to read her favorite poem, one she read when Gran died, and she begins to read......Do not stand by my grave and weep, I am not there, I do not sleep. And as she reads, we see a bedroom, someone in the bed, under the covers, crying loudly. It is a female. Julie's voice is still reading...."I did not die".

Just an aside to those who read here. That poem is one I cut out long ago, when it was published after being recited at John Wayne's graveside during his funeral. It is very moving.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there; I did not die.

The ending of this episode was quite shocking....definitely "I did not die" was said and the glimpse of a crying girl in a bed with what looks like a wedding ring.

Ciara I feel is definitely near some sort of breakdown. Even though Chad rejected her, she is still concerned and worried about him since he has no family.

Great acting overall between Chad and Jennifer, I loved their scenes together. Thought it was interesting Chad brought up Laura's mental condition and about Lucas' addiction.

I also did enjoy Belle with Claire going back and forth about Belle's past. Thought it was funny Claire mentioned to Belle she was surprised Chloe and her were friends. Belle sort of brushed it off but I always kind of got the feeling Belle actually doesn't like Chloe. Thought it was interesting Mimi was brought up and about Chloe being called "ghoul girl' since she is so "glamorous" as Claire said.

There are a lot of newer viewers who perhaps don't know the history of the Last Blast gang, or that all these 30 something adults went to school together. So I think these references are to clue them in. This is why Belle & Phil have a connection, as do Chloe & Phil.

I really liked, at the Horton house, when Jen said her daughter was with Jack now, which helps her so much, then turned and prayed to Jack to take good care of our little girl.

Watched today... I don't understand why Lucas would say, "Don't you think Chad deserves another chance?" Umm, when did Chad screw up? Didn't he rescue Abby, save her life, the life of their son and then try to take care of her when she went off the deep end? Did he end up passed out in a hotel room? Was 24 hours ago? I truly don't understand this storyline, and why everyone on Jen's side is so sure that he's a disaster and deserves to lose his son. Aside from that comment, at least Lucas is seeing things somewhat clearly. Everybody in Salem is a mess at some point. Chad's wife just died. Grrrr... Loved the scenes with him, though. I actually like the scenes with Chad and Belle. More Chad. More Sonny. More Gabi.

Watched today... I don't understand why Lucas would say, "Don't you think Chad deserves another chance?" Umm, when did Chad screw up? Didn't he rescue Abby, save her life, the life of their son and then try to take care of her when she went off the deep end? Did he end up passed out in a hotel room?

Yes ! :clap:This ! I agree 100 % ! Sure, Chad right now is grieving, and is drinking too much. But Jennifer started her rants (boy, she's getting good at those, isn't she ?) long before that. She's a shrew, she blames Chad for Abby's condition, and frankly, I can't stand her.

Chad should've been invited to the Horton house to grieve with Abby's family. Not be treated like that. There is no excuse for that. Definitely, this storyline, with everyone being so understanding of Jen Jen's grief but not Chad's is horrendous and makes absolutely no sense. Yet again, for the sake of very, very cheap drama. :angry:

Apparently, Days will never learn.:beat:

Jennifer is blaming Chad ONLY because he is a DiMera. She is faulting him for all the evil that Stefano, and son EJ, did to Salemites.

I think Lucas asking Jen about giving Chad a chance was appropriate. Jen was given that chance, and so was Lucas himself. He mentioned how he & Sami did all these thing over custody of Will. Lucas got addicted to alcohol, Jennifer to pills. Their family has been there.

Heck, Lucas was worried enough about Jen to beg her to call him if she is even THINKING of taking another pill.

And all those people were supporting Jennifer.......just who is supporting Chad? Yes, it is Belle.

I do hope that Chad makes the company a huge success, clean, legal, etc. I know he will have a problem with Andre, who loves to make trouble wherever he is. And I sure hope Chad gets to "renovate" properly. :)

Aw I don't know Poirot, Chad's renovations may not have been "proper" but I still think they are a vast improvement. :)

Thank God, for Belle it's about time that someone gave Chad some comfort. I also have had my fill with him being painted as the villain here. I loved Lucas trying to talk sense to Jennifer even though she's not in a place to hear it unfortunately. I just hope this custody nonsense is resolved sooner rather then later.

Of course I could have used more of Gabi and Sonny but today was clearly about Abigail which was appropriate. And since Will was a Horton as well I'm glad those scenes, brief as they may have been, were included.

They ways in which people handle grief over the loss of a loved one was well presented today, but was undercut by Jenny's continued nonsense over the custody of Thomas and the revelation that the object of everyone's mourning is apparently still alive. Why Chad's ability to care for a son should even be in question at this point is a total mystery particularly since he can get the best nanny (Nanny Megan?) that money can buy. Finally a few hypothetical conversations:

Adrienne: "Hey, remember the time that Abigail was stalking Austin Reed."
Jenny: "Yes, and she even followed him and Carrie to the Green Mountain Lodge. One of my daughter's fine traits was being very determined."

Lucas: "And remember her affair with EJ. Didn't she even shower with him once?
Jenny: "She sure did. That really frosted Sami. It served the horrid screecher right."
Lucas: "Way to go, Abigail." :clap:

Claire: "Choe has high standards."
Kate (who was listening in): "High standards? Do you have a list of the men she's slept with?"

That ending with the girl crying in the bed at the end should have been the pre-Olympic cliffhanger!:angry: That was the type of ending needed for a two week hiatus.

I don't know why everyone would hold Chad's last name against him. Lexie was a good DiMera (yeah, she had a brief lapse when she had Bo and Hope's baby but she was one of the better DiMeras), and then there was Benji. Chad was not raised as a DiMera like EJ, Tony, and Andre and even at his worst, Chad only looked like a jerk at times but he was never evil. The Hortons were not always good, Jeremy and Nick come to mind. Everyone forgives the stuff Victor has done over the years and accepts him in society, minus the hiccup right now that he is accused of Tate's kidnapping, but Chad must pay for the crimes his father and brothers committed over the years :beat:. And Jennifer conveniently forgets that Thomas is a DiMera. I like that Chad is going to rebuild DiMera Enterprises and make it legitimate for Thomas and to make Abigail proud.

I loved seeing Doug, Julie, Lucas, and Adrienne today with Jennifer, but where were Steve, Kayla, and Hope? I could have done without the teens, though. I loved that very moving poem at the end with the camera panning to the young woman in the bed. A very good ending.

It was a very sad show.

I wonder if Chad will take the time and redecorate the mansion after he acted
like a wrecking ball.

It's been awhile since we heard Mimi's name.

Will Belle accept Chad's job offer?

Nice scenes with Jennifer and her family at the house.

The ending was done well with Julie reading the poem and we see a woman
in bed crying.

I really enjoyed seeing Doug again today. He is looking well.

Lucas - please stick around.

Jennifer - I know you're sad, but stop being a jerk.

I am a Mimi fan. I'd like her back in Salem. Heck, the way aging works in Salem, she is probably old enough for Lucas now. :)

Sonny - welcome back. I'd like him to get amnesia and think Will's alive ~~ just so we can actually mourn with him since we were essentially cheated out of that last time.

Back