Days of Our Lives - Wed., May 15, 2019

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Wednesday, May 15, 2019

And a lot hits the fan today, as election day continues. Claire is reading a news flash on her tablet about Haley's big confession in the square. She smiles, is very happy, Tripp will soon be back with her. Meanwhile, Tripp has run into JJ, they talk about Haley being under arrest down at the P.D. JJ tells Tripp about the recording Eve had of Tripp & Claire talking in the hallway, admitting the marriage a fraud. Tripp wonders how Eve did that since they were in hall, is second time Eve had recording, learns it was Melinda who erased it. Tripp has a lightbulb go off, takes off. JJ goes to the square, calls to Jack and punches him down to the floor. Eve is horrified, JJ tells them off, talks of building platform by persecuting that poor woman, disgusting man. He starts to leave, Jack stops him, begging him not to get involved, stay away, he will get in trouble. JJ tells him he is done with them both, never wants to talk or see either one again. (A bit earlier, Jen came for a statement from Jack, as usual Eve spoke for him, but Jen left abruptly).

Lani comes out of the house, David is sound asleep. Rafe is looking over papers, seems messenger brought divorce papers from Hope. He talks of what went wrong with them, starting with his one nighter with Sami, she tries to bolster him up, but while he still loves Hope, she knows so many things went wrong, so doesn't want to even try any more.

And of course, Hope is basically confiding the same thing to Jennifer, mentioning how Rafe took off his ring, so many things have happened, gone awry, and Rafe is done.

Haley is at the cop shop, Justin comes in, tells her that after that public confession not much he can do, she knows that. Hope comes in, says if anything she can do, or Haley needs, let her know. Agent Smith arrives....Hope goes out to find Melinda waiting to see her, wanting to make sure Haley has a lawyer. She really would prefer a better one than Justin, tho.

Agent Smith wants Haley to sign some statement, verifying her marriage was a fraud. Haley said she already made public statement, but this is verification. She won't sign, unless it is made clear she alone was responsible, Tripp did not know she was illegal, and thought she loved him. Agent finally agrees, takes the paper, will have it redone. Haley is worried, she has not packed, needs her money from her account. Melinda has come in, scolded her a bit for the statement in the square, asks why, learns she was coerced. Justin goes to call Tripp to pack her stuff, Melinda goes to get her money from the bank. JJ has come in, talked with Haley, she wishes she would have accepted his proposal, all this would have been avoided. They kiss. Justin & Agent Smith return.

Meanwhile, Claire is napping on the sofa, having a dream about being back with Tripp, him saying marrying Haley a mistake, asking her to take him back, she joyfully says yes. In reality, Tripp has come in, mentions how she was smiling, she claims she was thinking of some new song lyrics. Now Tripp talks of Haley, what happened, Eve's blackmail, questioning how Eve got hold of two different times he & Claire were alone together. Claire denies, Tripp persists, keeps asking Claire if she did it. Yep, she did. Was afraid she was losing him, 3 years, broke up, she had to move out. Tripp is unmoved. He only was doing favor, Claire ruined Haley's life, responsible for her being deported now. He is done with her, never wants to have anything to do with her. Storms out.

Jack & Eve are in their room, he is all nervous, they are down in the polls. Eve is confident, lots of time left, people will be upset with Haley's admissions. She decides to take his mind off things, a roll in the hay.

Hope sits in her office, Rafe arrives, he has the papers. She says no hurry to sign, but he hands them to her..........has already signed.

Jennifer typing her story, gets alert, looks at her tablet.......Oh, my gosh!

Jack & Eve in afterglow, she gets alert on her phone. Oooh, they are going to make winner projection in a couple minutes.

Agent Smith comes back, has the right paperwork, Justin says the judge will not give any extra time. Agent Smith says lets go, plane is waiting. Haley cannot believe they are making her go so fast. Melinda says no, she cannot be deported. Not my sister, she is my daughter!

Two things.......Agent Smith seems rather biased, comments about Haley not knowing anything about the U.S. Haley asks when was Constitution signed. Agent doesn't want to answer, Haley says 1787, then asks about number of amendments. Smith doesn't know, but Haley does. She says she knows more about this country, coming here at 13, than Smith, who lived her all her life.

And then JJ.......when he is telling off Jack & Eve, reminds them Jack was a rapist, Eve a prostitute, & he himself not always obeying the law.

Well we all saw that coming a mile away but does this mean Haley is actually a citizen? And if so why did Melinda let her believe she was illegal. I'm over this story. Would they really deport her within the hour? She's a nurse, she didn't murder people. It's also weird how now suddenly she and JJ are all over each other. Just dumb. I'm over it. And over the election. I do not see any way that Jack will win.

Gee Hope, you file for divorce but then your lip is quivering because Rafe signed them? Did ya just want him to fight so you could say no? Over them too.

Poor Claire, but she was an idiot if she didn't see this coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only guessing about Melinda......but if she had tried to make Haley legal, she would have had to produce the birth certificate.....which would show Melinda as mother??? And I also am guessing she was unwed, which is the falling out she had with her parents, causing her to leave, and everyone keeping the secret that - to them- would have been too embarrassing.
And guess Salem has different regulations regarding citizenship, laws, etc. than the rest of the country. :)

Assuming Melinda is a naturalized citizen . . . . she would have had to claim Haley at that time and requested that she be granted citizenship also. If she thought Haley was going to remain in China with the grandparents there would have been no sense in her asking for citizenship for Haley at that time.
When my parents got their citizenship, they decided to allow us kids to make that choice for ourselves once we were old enough to do so.

I enjoyed today actually. I skipped the Hope and Rafe stuff because I'm just over it, but I loved seeing Tripp call out Claire. She's a sandwich short of a picnic on the smarts and the sanity front. She's probably about to burn down her old apartment building, but for today, I enjoyed seeing her schemes catch up with her.

I loved seeing JJ confront his dad and remind them that everyone in Salem is some kind of criminal. If you're ranking Haley's crime, their indignation is laughable. The Melinda stuff annoys me just because this is an obvious rewrite of whatever was intended when they started this storyline. Melinda's being Haley's mom was an obvious way to go, and they went out of their way to debunk that early on. Changing course now feels awfully convenient, but if it leads to the end of this, I'm ready. She might have wanted to keep it a secret just because she didn't tell anyone she had kids and she had a responsible position in the community and wanted to avoid embarrassment. Waiting this long to say anything, though, is silly unless there's some other story. I wonder who Haley's father is. Maybe they can give Stefano another baby posthumously.:)

Agent Smith is absurdly written for a number of reasons, but I don't have the energy to go there. I'm sure she'll be gone soon once they wrap this up.

Melinda's being Haley's mom was an obvious way to go, and they went out of their way to debunk that early on. Changing course now feels awfully convenient, but if it leads to the end of this, I'm ready.
I don't think this is a rewrite, I think it was the plan all along, so viewers would be "shocked" at the truth. Same as when Lee DuMonde first came to Salem with her much younger sister, Renee. Then we found out that Renee was her daughter (Stefano was the father).

deleted unnecessary quote - no need to quote the post directly above your own post - JS

Then it's just terrible writing because that was too obvious a development to be a surprise. They would have been better off writing it as a hidden secret and playing that up with the Melinda character trying to hide the truth. As they wrote it, there's no tension there with the reveal.

Last edited by a moderator:
That ICE agent is just so awful. Again, writing characters with no nuances - just pure bad, with no sympathy, just glee. So, Melinda is Haley's mother? What a surprise, said no one! At least today seemed to have some movement, so that was good. And no Sarah or drama from Nicole, so that was great! I am looking forward to seeing how Melinda's non-surprise changes anything. And I did have to laugh when Eve told Jack that several of the precincts had yet to report their results - just how big is Salem????

Thanks, Poirot.

I think Hope was surprised Rafe signed the divorce papers right away.

So, Melinda is Haley's mother. Maybe Haley's dad is an American citizen.
That will solve the deportation problem.

I laughed when Melinda talked to Hope about Justin not competent
about being Haley's lawyer.

Tripp needs to watch himself. Claire might set his beard on fire since
he broke up with her. Poor guy, his fake marriage is over too.

For a change, kudos are due all around today.

JJ: for slugging Jack. Frankly, it's too bad that he didn't give his deluded father the same thrashing that Rafe once dished out to EJ in the Town Square. A good beating just might have jogged Jack's memory loose.

Melinda: for her comment about Justin: "I meant a competent [lawyer]." It's about time that someone in Salem blew the whistle on the well-meaning, but bumbling barrister.

Hope; for wondering why the proper papers weren't filed for Haley long ago. Why attorney Melinda didn't do this is a mystery to me.

Trippy: for finally waking up to Claire's treachery and scheming, and giving the YouTube flop her walking papers. Claire must be pretty dense not to realize that her flimsy anti-Haley would blow up in her face.

Certain Board Posters: for predicting that Haley would turn out to be Melinda's daughter.

Only guessing about Melinda......but if she had tried to make Haley legal, she would have had to produce the birth certificate.....which would show Melinda as mother??? And I also am guessing she was unwed, which is the falling out she had with her parents, causing her to leave, and everyone keeping the secret that - to them- would have been too embarrassing.
And guess Salem has different regulations regarding citizenship, laws, etc. than the rest of the country. :)
I think Melinda disgraced her parents by having a child out of wedlock, but then, when Haley was 13 she sent for her, but claimed she was her sister. Of course, Haley would not know that.

Haley had letter with money, info on who to contact to get her to U.S., and instructions on where to find Melinda....was left to her by her "mother"

Thank you, Poirot.

I'm glad that Tripp finally found and used a piece of the Salem brain.

Melinda found her heart.

Jack deserved getting taken down by JJ. Eve is just plain disgusting. I hate her, and not in a "like to hate" and "enjoy her antics" way.

I'm so tired of Hope, Rafe, and their non-marriage. They've both screwed up ..over and over again. Just have them get a quickie divorce already.

Back