Departing.... arriving part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The actors are doing a great job considering the crap material they are given. They have made us hate the character or love them and that, to me, shows what great actors they are. It must be so difficult for them with what they are given to work with. As far as recasting Vivian, nope. If Louise Sorel (Vivian) is not available, don't bother. Linda Dano is a fantastic actress but there is only one Vivian as far as I'm concerned. Recasting Vivian is like recasting Stefano. Joe Mascolo (Stefano) and Louise Sorel (Vivian) are embedded in those characters!

Last edited:
Would be like bringing in Kim Zimmer (Reva from GL) to play Marlena if Deidre Hall left the show. Just not going to work.

Bringing in former soap stars as established characters doesn't seem to work. They are fantastic actors, but a terrible fit, like Morgan Fairchild as Anjelica, Judith Chapman as Diana Colville, Kassie DePaiva as Eve, Robin Strasser as Vivian, etc. About the only semi-recent recast that worked well was John Martin as Bill Horton for Alice's funeral.

I think Linda Dano could be a very good Vivian and I hope she works out. Vivian could be a bit cartoonish at times and that was part of her charm. She could be haughty at times as well. I think Linda Dano could bring out all the facets of Vivian's personality but Vivian will always be Louise Sorel to me. I am more than willing to give Ms. Dano a chance and I hope she has a great time playing Vivian.

I often wonder why they don’t do cross overs and bring them on the show as their characters from the shows people remember them from
Too expensive. A few years back, OLTL was cancelled and GH leased the rights from the company that had the rights to the show. (A company obtained the rights to reboot/restart the shows after the cancellations were announced.) It cost a bundle, enough that the cancelled show was able to get a short-lived regeneration.

Companies "own" the shows and characters, and writers get paid when they are used. So it's just not feasible to have Felicia Gallant (whom Linda Dano played on Another World) come to Salem.

And before any "yeah, but..." arguments...LOL...B&B and Y&R are owned by the same company (in fact run by a family). That was also true for GL/AW/ATWT which is why characters from Springfield moved to Bay City (to start the show), and when AW ended, characters moved to Oakdale (ATWT). Before the cancellation of AMC and OLTL, ABC owned all its soaps, which is why their characters crossed over so frequently.

Since Days barely has money to pay actors not already appearing today, obtaining the rights to bring Dorian Lord (Robin Strasser's OLTL character) to Salem would be virtually impossible.

Though to your point craigandnancy, I'd love to have someone classy like Felicia in Salem.
About the only semi-recent recast that worked well was John Martin as Bill Horton for Alice's funeral.
And I'd argue that only worked because he was only on for a few days, with no real storyline intent.

Meanwhile I wonder why they are bringing Vivian back to town. She serves no useful purpose in the narrative. Unless Tripp kills Ava and Kate kills Vivian again, and then Jake and Tripp can boo-hoo about having psycho mommies who gave them up and made their lives so howwible?

It's another reason this recast has me scratching my head.

c3075056fc7a80f266d78517e62bf1a8.gif

I'm disappointed Vivian was recast but I guess with the pandemic, it makes sense. Likely it's going to be a short arc like Robin Strasser's time as Vivian I am going to assume. Like Ava, Vivian will pop up from the "dead" to help her son. In Vivian's case, I think it's going to be to come after Kate for sleeping with Jake! Wonder if Vivian is going to crash a New Yea'rs Eve party in a black cloak again?

Last edited by a moderator:
WHY?

I honestly want to know WHY?

With Kristen, Ava, Gwen, Gabi, Kate, why do we need another off the wall crazy woman on scene??

Is she going to bond with her son like Ava is now bonding with her ADULT son??

No disrespect meant for the actor. I'm sure she's a great person and a fantastic actor, but WHY?

Ditto

At least Linda Dano has the same general look as Louise Sorel (Vivian). Her casting makes more sense.

I can't see Ms Dano as the deranged clown as played by Robin Strasser. I didn't know Ms Strasser before, and I don't care to ever see her on Days again.

Congratulations to Bryan Dattilo (Lucas)! I hope he gets a decent amount of screen time.

Many years ago I watched Linda Dano on Another World. It was one of my mother's favorite soaps. I always thought she was the epitome of glamour! I am looking forward to seeing what she does with Vivian. Part of the problem, for me, is Vivian being recast so many times. Add that to the fact she is one of the characters I think shouldn't be recast, I am curious to see how she works out. I am so hoping Ms. Dano does a bang up job!

Actually, Vivian did not appear on Days as much as other "regular" characters, such as Stefano, Jennifer, Jack, Bo, Hope, Steve, Kayla, Roman, Mickey, even Kate. She is a memorable character, for sure, but like any character, it depends on storyline & dialogue written for the character. And we have seen many of the viewers being disappointed in what they are getting from their fav characters, let alone new ones.

Too much to hope that Vivian brings her best friend whom she met in Europe, "Olsen"? AKA Steven Olson played by Stephen Schnetzer. (Although they've tried pairing actors from other shows before without much success, doesn't mean it couldn't work this time.) They played best friends on Another World.

Hey, I can delude myself because otherwise there's no point to Viv's return.

Vivian is not coming back. It's is an impostor. My REAL Vivian, Louise Sorel is not returning.

Pretty soon it will be an entire cast of impostors playing the roles since TITB (the idiots that be) think it's ok to mess with our brains and replace known characters with fake ones.

Linda Dano may be great. Then give her a new character and move on instead of beating a dead horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back