Doug and Julie

Kat: This is gold, thank you so much for posting.

He would have made a magnificent Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls, among other theatre roles.

Why can't we have more scenes like this today? We know many cast members can carry a tune. Hello, powers that be?

Back then it was affordable. Now it's outrageously expensive for soaps (or any TV shows) to use music that's not specifically written for them.

I remember when Donny Osmond was on The Talk. He started to sing a few words from Puppy Love and Julie Chen yelled "STOP, we can't afford it!"

Then when Marie turned 60, they had her brothers on. Donny started to sing a few words from One Bad Apple, and Marie told him to stop because they had to pay for it. And these were Osmond songs (although they apparently don't own their own catalog).

Scroll to 3:18 to hear Donny break into song and Marie tells him to stop.

Just Samantha: That's right, forgot about that! I did not know the Osmonds did not own their own catalog. Geez.
Most artists don't own their own catalogs.

Heck, Michael Jackson snatched up the Beatles' catalog out from under Paul McCartney's nose back in the day, supposedly after Paul had told Michael how lucrative it was to buy song catalogs. I imagine their next conversation went something like this:

Michael: Hey man, thanks for the business advice! I just bought the Beatles' catalog!

Paul: :eek:

Back