Votes: 8 72.7%
  • chips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • both

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Muzzaman

Reaction score
Thought it'd be interesting to see what people in each other's countries call French fries. Chips or fries? Make your pick and let us know your region to see if different areas call them the same name.

I chose both because I'll order a burger and fries but order fish and chips. Calgary, Alberta

In Britain and Canada it was chips. When I was in France and Quebec, it was always “pomme frites.” If memory serves, even in Germany and Austria, the menus said pomme frites, not some variant of the German word for potato, “kartoffel.” Speaking of potatoes, maybe John and Steve could get rid of Konstantin by getting some hard-throwing members of the Salem U. baseball team to pelt him with some nice big Idahos.

Last edited:
Thought it'd be interesting to see what people in each other's countries call French fries. Chips or fries? Make your pick and let us know your region to see if different areas call them the same name.

I chose both because I'll order a burger and fries but order fish and chips. Calgary, Alberta
All I know is that you guys in Canada have poutine and I'm jealous! That looks delicious!

For those not familiar, poutine is basically an order of French fries with cheese curds and gravy.

Definitely French fries, or just fries.

Visited London many years ago. My friend and I tried to get used to the word chips. So, we walked into a fast food place (I want to say McDonald's, but maybe not) ready to say "chips" and their menu board said "French fries". Oh well.

Poutine is yummy! Sometimes when I ask for fries they'll ask if I want to upgrade to poutine.

Back