Headwriter interviews-time jump

I am so disappointed with Days any more. I have been watching it since day one and the writing is upsetting. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they renewed the show. The storyline are so strange. People coming back to life because of a serum and Kristen and Lani becoming nuns doesn't make sense.

They keep repeating the same storylines about babies and people being buried alive. I think they can come up with something other than the same old, same old. I know it's a soap, but let's have some happiness and normalcy in the story, not apps the control hearts and serum that bring people back to life. Sorry, just ranting I miss the old type of soap that I watched years ago!!!

While I don't watch those kinds of shows......so many just love shows like The Walking Dead, Zombies, etc. I think the writers think soap watchers would like that kind of stuff. Why they think sci-fi anything is appealing on a soap is beyond me.

With the small budget Days has, they no longer can do location shooting, or story telling. Their cast is cut in half, so evidently they feel pretty limited. They probably think they are being innovative or something when they write, but being that is filmed 2-3 months later, and not aired for another 7-8 months.....stale, unappealing.

While the time jump is something new, the revealing of what happened is just at a snail's pace....They now have to tell what is happening currently (in 2020 for them) plus fill in the hows and whys of what happened "last year". They better get moving, or it will have been in vain.

That's what I don't understand, @Poirot. If their budget is lower, then WHY keep bringing back all of these characters from the past that many people don't know or care about? I get that people are now doing double duty and playing multiple characters (Hattie, Bonnie, although now she would only be playing one, Kristen, Hope, etc), but that doesn't enhance the stories. Most of us do not enjoy those characters at all.

And the fact that they were going to stop production for a few months to give them time to catch up to what was already filmed seemed to go by the wayside. At this rate, they will have the entire renewal year's episodes complete before the new year begins, which puts them in the exact mess they are in now.

I have a suggestion - stop spending money on ridiculous hair extensions - Sarah looked goofy with all that extra hair.

Good point, Scarlet. Kristen as a nun is so far out there it should be science fiction. Lani could have saved herself (and the convent) a lot of grief if she had just told someone (such as Abe) about what Gabi was doing. The tainted pacemaker could have been dealt with and Gabi sent to prison. Again.

If the theory that baby Mickey is actually Kristen and Brady's child, that convent is going to explode! Kristen will come back crazier than ever and wreak havoc on all of Salem. Even that is a recycled plot!

I understand that soaps are a kind of escape from reality but Days is stretching things a bit thinner than they need to be. I feel that our intelligence is being insulted in some instances. Give us viewers a bit of credit and start writing good, exciting stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point, Scarlet. Kristen as a nun is so far out there it should be science fiction. Lani could have saved herself (and the convent) a lot of grief if she had just told someone (such as Abe) about what Gabi was doing. The tainted pacemaker could have been dealt with and Gabi sent to prison. Again.
For some reason, I have a feeling that Kristen is in the convent to "get information". The nun part is nothing but an act!

I will give the team some credit for the "Time Jump" idea. It was a way to add some intrigue without changing too many characters.

People (and I don't necessarily mean me) want Marlena, John, Will, Hope, Kate, Steve, Kayla, Jack, Jennifer, Nicole, Brady, Ben, Ciara, and Victor on screen...but they've been on for years and we know everything about them. You can't add too many new characters who have secret pasts with a cast that full. (And when they try, it ends up like Sarah, with her nose in every story.)

Jumping ahead a year gives them some secrets to reveal. Good idea from a macro perspective.

The microstructure...well, so far it's a disappointment but on par with my expectations.

have to say, I honestly do not understand how Lani, a cop, could not have figured out a way to unseat Gabi's "power". So....you secretly go to Kayla, tell her the tale, explaining it is why Julie had the episode, send Julie back into surgery, removing that pacemaker, using another ...maybe different brand....informing Eli as well, Gabi is arrested for attempted murder, and back in the slammer.

Why in heaven's name would Lani go to Europe, then decide to enter a convent? I mean, she wants to hide, do good or something......Orphanage, Salvation Army, Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity. Well, guess there is more to come, so.....patience, Poirot, patience!

It is a really stupid storyline! If Lani was any kind of detective, she could have fixed this in a few minutes. All she had to do was tell Abe and he could have handled the rest. That's one idea, at least. I think we have better ideas than the writers!

This is why I have no sympathy for Lani. She never even tried to get the upper hand over Gabi and just ran away. I hope Eli really tells her off when (not if) he eventually finds out that Lani just left and put Julie in a vulnerable position with Gabi.

I'm still hoping Lani does eventually tell someone what's happening, and Gabi has covered her tracks or it was a ruse the whole time

It was no ruse. We saw Gabi demonstrate the app on Julie in front of Lani, and also last week, she accidently hit the button on her phone while messing around with Eli to activate it again on Julie.

Well, I dont know if being a nun is Lani's true calling, but obviously she shouldn't be a cop and certainly not a detective since she cannot think of how easy it would be to burn Gabi.

I wouldn't want her investigating a crime against me. That's for sure. I mean, if you cant save your own butt, how can you save others?

Exactly, that pacemaker should have been changed out immediately. This is the most irritating thing about Days. Everyone is so easily shut up, or blackmailed, and it goes on and on. I have such a big mouth, I would love to play a character on there for a week that spills the beans on everyone. Oh and no one has outed Gina in a year, please?!! And I never understood why Rolf was in prison. Who was running the Frankenstein lab all those years?

Back