I Hated When......

ya know.. there are stories that made me mad or made me disgusted- but it's a soap and those are emotions they were going for. And I'm the one that still watched- so I can't say I hate them all.

Except one. Y'all know the one.

I'll just climb up onto my soap box for a moment and say.

When EJ held a gun to Sami's head and raped her while we watched her sob and beg for him to stop.... and to have this relationship shoved down our throats as the "best couple" or "most romantic couple" or whatever else terms Corday liked to use to describe them.

As a former victim of sexual abuse, and also as an advocate for rescuing victims of human trafficking, I was especially appalled by that storyline. And I made the mistake of taking it personal when viewers cheered them on and said things like "get over it".

NO. I will not get over it. When the character of EJ was finally killed off, justice was finally served.

*gonna step off this soap box before it gets crazy up in here*

We agree on a lot so I've just quoted Heather here, with some extractions and notations:
  • Chelsea and her turning out to be Georgia the swamp baby
  • Paul Narita being John's son
  • Kate Roberts [since recasting with Lauren Koslow] except when with Roman
  • Austin and Carrie's last return
  • Carrie and Rafe anything
  • Sami and Austin anything
  • Sami and EJ anything
  • Sami's over the top reaction to the EJ/Abigail affair
  • Chloe's last major return
  • Carly's last return
  • Daniel and Melanie being related to Maggie
  • Melissa Archer (Serena) was not cast as Sarah Horton [or Autumn]
  • The same office set was used for every single character in Salem except Nicole and Abigail :rolleyes:
  • Alex North
  • The annual appearance of Joey Johnson
  • Brady was a teen and suddenly and inexplicably hated Marlena
  • Sami's goodbye tour and the way she departed Salem
Things that haven't been mentioned:
  • Mike & Carrie's affair while Austin was chasing Sami inexplicably
  • the Lucas/Carrie and Sami/Austin debacle when Sami blackmailed Lexie
  • Johnny being EJ's son instead of Lucas's
  • Sydney not being Nicole's for real (would have been a much better plot twist)
  • Couples hate boinking
  • Couples boinking as the sole purpose for their relationship
  • The length of time stories took in the mid-1990s (I'm looking at you, Gina/Hope)...actually made me lose interest in the show
I also hate that some characters (like the ridiculous graft Nathan "Horton") get big sendoffs and others (like Don Craig or Steve/Kayla/Stephanie Johnson) go into another room never to be seen again and (if they're lucky) get a throwaway line a year later.

Nicole losing her babies
EJ & Taylor
Brady & Melanie
Brady & Arianna
Brady & Theresa (everything having to do with them)
Brady & Kristen
John still "loving Kristen" in 2013
FakeRafe
The 2011 Grief Sex, and anything else EJ & Sami
Bo's departure
Chloe's storyline since she divorced Brady
Maggie's eggbaby and egggrandbaby storyline
Gabi hiring Andrew
Will turning into his mother
Bluebird and the pachyderm stuffed with diamonds
Xander
Eric dumping Nicole because of some papers
Jennifer and Daniel always breaking up and getting back together
Eve, Paige, and JJ "triangle"
The Gus-Quinn rivalry of 2011
Abigail stalking Austin
Abigail & Ben
Abigail & Cameron
Julie fawning over Nick
and many more...

Oh, and the Ian McCallister storyline of 2012, coupled with the Stefano doppelgänger and EJ not really being a DiMera, even though, in fact, he was.

I also hated when the show inexplicably decided to rename Jeannie Donovan as Theresa Donovan with a never before mentioned middle name. Such a stupid thing.

When she was with the Afterbuzz/Dishin' Days guys, Jenn Lilley laughed about it and said that originally the character was Jeannie Caroline and that poor Caroline got shafted when they retcon'd it to Theresa... but I don't think that's correct? Jeannie was Shane's mother or something like that, and there was no middle name mentioned, right?

That's correct. When she was born, it was Jeannie Donovan, named after Shane's mom. In fact Kim named her Jeannie as she and Shane were estranged at the time.

You keep using the term retcon'd. What does that mean?

it is a shortened form of retroactive continuity.......

So the writers added new info to previous truth. Not changing anything. Except in this case, the girl insists on being called Theresa (and most gals with that name like to be called Terri or Tess, lol) But Days just loves to use full names, no shortened ones. Surprised Will gets to have his shortened, and that Sonny got a nickname. LOL

I also hated every single story line that involved Carly from the get go. Bo's brain seemed to be sucked out through his ear every time she was on the show.

Georgia supposedly being still born in the swamp then reappearing as Chelsea always bugged me.

We are in total agreement here. I never could stand Carly.

That's correct. When she was born, it was Jeannie Donovan, named after Shane's mom. In fact Kim named her Jeannie as she and Shane were estranged at the time
I've seen many websites incorrectly list Jeannie's middle name as Caroline. As you stated, Jeannie didn't have a middle name until Theresa came to Salem as an adult. It would've made more sense for her to have said Theresa was her confirmation name.

ya know.. there are stories that made me mad or made me disgusted- but it's a soap and those are emotions they were going for. And I'm the one that still watched- so I can't say I hate them all.

Except one. Y'all know the one.

I'll just climb up onto my soap box for a moment and say.

When EJ held a gun to Sami's head and raped her while we watched her sob and beg for him to stop.... and to have this relationship shoved down our throats as the "best couple" or "most romantic couple" or whatever else terms Corday liked to use to describe them.

As a former victim of sexual abuse, and also as an advocate for rescuing victims of human trafficking, I was especially appalled by that storyline. And I made the mistake of taking it personal when viewers cheered them on and said things like "get over it".

NO. I will not get over it. When the character of EJ was finally killed off, justice was finally served.

*gonna step off this soap box before it gets crazy up in here*

I agreed with you 100% then, and still do now.

So many good ones already posted.... I would add:

Sami & EJ anything
Sami being "dumbed down"/un-SORAS'd emotionally. During her time with Rafe and around the time of the Green Wedding Sami was finally growing up and taking responsibility for her life. Then, she went back in EJ's orbit. :sick:
Jennifer coming back as a shrew
The way Jennifer treated Jack when he came back from Iraq
Kayla and Patch divorcing (off-screen)
Santo's storyline

Back