In re: Dressing the Cast...

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, o.ki. I did not want to use "more wardrobe". LOL. I know we have all been mentioning the top Jennifer was wearing on Friday 10/17 and Monday, 10/20/14.

But we have also mentioned a few other faux pas on the part of the some of the items the cast is wearing.
I happened to read an article about "what absolutely not to wear" if you are past certain ages. i.e. no really low rise skinny jeans after 40.
This was by a couple of fashion gurus out there in ol CA....so....NO tottering 6" heels after 30
No micro mini skirts after 30
No plunging necklines, exposed boobs after 40.(
No skin tight dresses after 30, even if you have the body for it.
Never ever, anyone, have your bra, or even bra straps showing.
No ribbed tank tops after 40.
Even, no thigh or knee boots after 40.
And no clunky jewelry, headbands, huge earrings, etc. etc.
I tell ya, I am reading that and thinking, uh, oh, Days....you break every rule in the book. They did offer suggestions as to alternatives to look "hot", "in fashion", "with it", etc.i.e. Straight pencil skirl (instead of micro mini) not more than 4" above the knee. Or else wearing black tights.

And my biggest pet peeve is having the cast members dressed inappropriately for the weather in the mid-west. October 20th, and still sleeveless, no jackets. Is this to accomodate hot flashes?
They seem to have some orange or red leaves, they talk of Halloween, but are dressed as if it is 85°.
O.K. I will stop grumbling.

And then there's some of the men on the show, like Eric and Daniel (and to some extent, Rafe), who always dress like it's the month of April, or November. Big sweaters and jeans, even when it is summer. And mostly gray attire, or some other dark color. It gets dull after a while. Looks like stuff my peers would wear, not one in their late 30s or 40s.

I've been watching a lot of 90s Days lately and the styling/wardrobe is opulent. It's not even just that their budget was better and therefore allowed them more extravagant clothing; it's also seasonally appropriate and fit to the character's personality. :love:

Anyway, I don't like these types of lists because I don't think it's fair to put so many restrictions on how women dress (regardless of age), but a few of these definitely apply to Days' wardrobe. The show is conforming too much to what's fashionable at this very minute - regardless of whether or not it works for the actress/actor/character - and more often than not it comes off as lazy or just plain ugly styling.

Oh, I agree, I only thought, as I read it, of Days and how mostly inappropriate the dressing has been.
And while sometimes whatever it is might be attractive, it is often 2 sizes too small, with the stretchy material showing every lump and bump.
See, it bugs me that the cast wears spike heels in mid-winter. No one does that, outside. Snow, ice, slush. If they want their heels, they carry them, and wear boots. So when everyone is running into each other in Horton Square, it is ridiculous to see them in monstrously high heels. And yes, the men as well. Usually men who are dressed up, suits and ties, have at least a rubber covering over their nice shoes.
Last winter, which began very early in Oct/November....., with temps below zero on most days, tons and tons of snow, ice storms galore, the people on Days were all dressed as though it was 40-50 degrees outdoors. And with the price of propane, electric heat, going thru the roof, Days characters seemed to have their homes and apartments set at 80°.
And so far this year, they are doing the same thing. Grrrrr.

Good thing that list wasn't around when Calliope was on!

th
th
th
th
th
th

I think I have discovered the reason why the weather is what it is in Salem....THEY'VE MOVED SALEM TO FLORIDA WHILE WE WERE SLEEPING!!! 80o here at 11:16pm tonight and just about every night! I don't own a pair or socks and/or stockings/pantyhose and no boots, gloves, scarves, hats. I do have a jacket...one I brought with me when I moved here from Boston...I saved "in case" and have worn it one night in the 5+ years I've been here.

I've been to Orlando, Florida several times when I've had to wear a Winter coat.

Jennifer's wardrobe does not fit her personality. I wonder how much input the actors really have. I know in the past Deidre Hall (Marlena) and Ali Sweeney (Sami) have said that they have input into what their characters wear. That's the only thing that would explain the eclectic looks on Jennifer and Will and Hope to a certain extent while everyone else is dressed conservatively.

It seems half the cast is dressed for Fall while everyone else is dressed for Summer.

about the bra thing....

I want to share my story with you. I totally agree with the "no bra straps showing ever" thing. I'm constantly making sure my bra is hidden.

I HATE HATE HATE bra shopping. There's just nothing fun at all about standing in a dressing room in a bra with some young teeny bopper bouncing around you making sure it fits right saying things like "girl, you look good! do you like this one?"... yes, if it gets you to go away, I like it. I just hate bra shopping, but sometimes, you just have to go get re-measured and do it. Women are constantly changing, you get it. My time had come a few months ago and there I was in the store getting measured in just my bra by some young cute thing I didn't know.

She finally gets to the part of "OK, we know your size, what color are you looking for?"

Me: Well, I already have a tan/black bra for dark clothing, I can buy a new one of those later. Today, I just want a simple white bra that I can wear with my white tops.

Girl rummages around in a drawer (we are at Victoria's Secret because I had a gift card) and she brings out a white bra, but it has black lace and a black bow in the middle.

Girl: OOO, this one is pretty! Do you want this?

Me: White clothes honey, that black lace will be seen. I want a white bra so that I can hide it better with a camisole or tank top.

Girl: No, honey, bras are meant to be seen! These bras are beautiful and look great under a nice semi-see through shirt.

After giving her a blank stare, I finally said "Nope, not for me. Please give me a plain bra. No black at all. My bra will not be seen."

Chick made me feel like a dinosaur, because you know all the fashion experts show off their bras these days.

Guess I'll just be out of style then. My bra will not show.

I remember how Carrie on Sex and the City would wear regular bras under backless or strapless tops and everyone thought she was such a fashionista. To me, she always looked like she grabbed clothes from a garbage bag on a street corner with those crazy outfits.

DaysLady, years ago, I was getting ready for work and put on a black bra and black sweater. I spilled something on the sweater as I was about to walk out the door, so I ran upstairs and grabbed the first sweater in the dresser drawer, which was white.

Wasn't until I got to work that I realized I still had on the black bra. I was mortified because you could clearly see it though the sweater.

My daughter tried the tank top with the bra straps showing once. I told her that look was trashy. She never did it again.

It kills me when we go out to a restaurant especially at summer time and the girls have on these cute summer dresses with thin straps and their bra straps showing. If you can't get a strapless don't wear something your straps show from. That includes not wearing a sleevesless top where the sides of your bra beneath your armpit shows. Why do they make tops like that. I don't know how many sleeveless tops I've tried on and thought "this is cute" then I turn to the side and an inch of my bra shows. UGH!!! Did I mention seeing ones bra looks trashy?

I don't think I could contain myself if a salesgirl tried to tell me bras were meant to be seen. I'd bark back "Bras are meant to be seen only if you're advertising that you're a tramp, hooker or trash"

I remember when I was in high school, my best friend got an open-backed dress for a dance. We went to specialty store after specialty store to find this particular bra that instead of hooking in the back, it criss-crossed low on the back (at the waist), came around and clasped in front, across your stomach. Today, the girls would just wear a regular bra and think it looked good.

Back