interesting sayings

soapkitty

Reaction score
I noticed in the one post crying4days had said
"Like my mom would say all the time when I was a kid,
"a hard head carries a soft behind".
Crying4days asked if anyone heard of the saying.
I'd love it for people to post different sayings from their friends or relatives past or present.

My friend Aloma is from Indianna and she has some of the best old sayings.
One of them is
"I'm so hungry I could eat the butt out of a rag doll."

I rolled on the floor when she said that the first time.
Feel free to post a saying.

PS: Rew, I keep saying to my friend that I am going to Indianna to find a man.
They treat women differently than the east coast men.
She and her husband are the best people I've ever met on this planet, bar none.
Indianna might want me!
OK I'm done with my tangient!

:rotfl: Love it.

My Mother has some colorful sayings. She's about 4'8" tall and skinny as a rail (think Sophia from Golden Girls), very southern and mild mannered and my favorite by her is:

"He/She makes my butt want a glass of buttermilk".

I have no idea what that means but I'm pretty sure it isn't flattering. :D

When I was younger and would ask "Who" during a conversation, my dad would always say "Your feet don't fit no limb" or his business partner would say "Do you poo-poo thru feathers?". It took me until I was probably in my late teens to figure out what they meant. As in an owl says "HOO" and their feet fit limbs and they poop thru feathers...and I was not an owl. I hope that made sense, LOL.

I always like to hear old sayings. My mother got a lot of them from her grandmother. I'm not around anyone who uses them much anymore so I'll have to wait until one naturally comes to mind to share it. Can't think of any right off. I'm familiar with the one about the cat and rocking chairs.

I cannot even remember where I heard this one first....but it was "up your gee gee with a woo woo brush". Hard g on the gee gee.
I guess it was supposed to be a way cuss without cussing. But..when my teen age daughter used it once at work (J.C. Penny in the stock room, taking merchandise out of boxes to put on price tags and take out to the dept.) her older lady co-worker began laughing, saying she had not heard that in ages.
After I moved up here, every once in while I would jokingly say it at the bowling alley, and there would be those who "had not heard that in ages".

My mom had a couple things, but she would say them in Polish. That would be so we kids would not know what she was saying. LOL

KathyLu has a basket full of those sayings from when she is growing up, I guess. She will use one every once in a while in a post. Too funny.

My hubby's grandpa used to always say "God willing and the creek don't rise"....for example if we asked him if he was coming for a visit, he would say that. He would also say "Goodness gracious knows"...not exactly sure what it mean, but it always made sense when he used it. Like when we would get to his house, he would say something like, "look how big the girls have gotten. Goodness gracious knows."

Sure do miss him!! He was a character.

Oh and my mom never cussed...so she would make up her own words in the place of cuss words....like dribbly drat. LOL.

Jammers, my grandmother used to say Goodness gracious knows too. She also would say a lot of Jimney Crickets, Jeepers Creepers, & one of my favorites "awww cramminy". She didn't curse either.

I've heard many... when "us kids" would start to grow out of our clothes, and our belly would show a little between our shirt and pants... he'd say "Look, she's a Hindu. Her shirt and her pants don't meet, so she made her skin do."... not sure that counts as a saying lol..but it always made me giggle.

He also said "Butter on her butt! she's pretty!".... also not sure why there is butter on her butt...but she must be really pretty lol.

a tech I work with said "I'm finer than a frog hair split down the middle." if you ask him how he is doing today... he also sometimes says "Fair to midland" or "sweeta mo peta"...he calls those his "favorite sayings"...I've yet to understand what they mean...usually I just look at him like he has three heads LOL (looking at someone like they have three heads...another saying! ha!)

also--- "I SWANNY!" (pronounced EYE SW-AH-NEE) ... not a real word...but I am guilty of saying it--heard it down here in the south every time a lady gets mad....."I SWANNY!"...guess it's southern slang for "I SWEAR!"
I also heard "I'll tan yer hide!" or "When I'm through, you won't be able to sit for a week!"....both of those meant I was in a heap of trouble and was gonna get my butt spanked good! lol...shew... I was scared out of being bad... and I'm thankful I was. I don't understand kids these days that do things without an ounce of fear of consequences...no remorse, nothing... if only they'd had the fear of God..or the fear of a pop on the butt without someone hollerin' "abuse"... there is a difference between abuse and discipline. I was never abused. but you better believe that hand print was on my cheeks if I got out of line. (whole 'nother soap box y'all, now back to subject!)

my great grandmother, whom I'm named for, also had a few things... every night at dinner, she'd tell us "Now, eat every bean and pea on yer plate!"... of course, with a silly mind, we kids would all laugh hysterically every time. never got old. also "Tea in my glass, please."...hahahha I'm laughing now, remembering. :) I miss her.

something else my Grandpa would say --- and you have to say this really really fast.... so fast, it took me years to understand what was comin' out of his mouth LOL...
if he got mad at you- he'd say "You sawed off, hammered down, knot-kneed, no account, good fer nothin'!".... say it as fast as you can, you are probably still not saying it as fast as he did LOL. He also would greet his friends with "Oh, hey! I know you!!! You used to come to my house and eat chicken, *bleep* I know you!".... saying it all together, sounds like he's saying "chicken *bleep*".... lol.... we all laugh hysterically... not sure that counts as a "sayin" versus more of a "joke".

P.S. - Jammers, I've heard yours too! heck, I've used them before lol... love it!

My Grandma says that someone is "All hopped up on drugs"...I had no clue why she said that until I watched the movie Tombstone and one of the ladies on there was taking somekind of medicine and her sister in law told her to be careful because the medicine was full of "hops".

he also sometimes says "Fair to midland"

The saying is "fair to middling" meaning from fair to the middle on a scale or just so-so.

"Middling" is an old Scot / Irish word for "middle" or "average". A lot of people drop the final "g" so it sounds like "middlin" or "midlan"

I've got Scots-Irish ancestors, many of which came from South Carolina, so some of those expressions made it here to Texas. I'll swan or swanny was very common in my youth. My sister and I still use some of these expressions. My kids and grandkids laugh at the way I talk.
I still hold out my plate to be served and say, "Please put me some beans." (or whatever food).
I also say, when I misplace an item, "What went with my glasses?" (or whatever item).
And when a storm is on the horizon, we say it's coming up a cloud.
Jammers, I never knew where the term "hopped up on drugs" came from, but when I was a kid, someone who was addicted to drugs was called a "dope fiend."

Back