Mom's whipped cherry salad (Irene's delight)

tropical breeze

Reaction score
1 can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple (drained well )
1 can mandarin oranges (drained well)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 (8 oz) cartons of whipped cream topping thawed

In a big bowl gently combine the cherry pie filling and milk, then add the whipped topping (in batches)folding in gently, then fold in the drained pineapple and then the oranges.
I then put mine in a big covered Tupperware container and refridgerate. Stir gently before serving.
It keeps well in the fridge, just re-stir.
I have never used the fat free versions.. so not sure how well that holds up.
Enjoy all

Oh, wow, that is so easy, and sounds so absolutely scrumptious.

Squirrel, something I make that goes quick when I bring to pot luck, you reminded me. 1 pint whipping cream, 1 can pineapple chunks and minimarshmallows. Whip up the cream, drain the pineapple chunks and add the chunks, then the minimarshmallows. I have had to bring something to buffets for different occasions, and it amazes me how fast it goes. (you reminded me when you mentioned marshmallows).

I definitely am gonna do this cherry delight.

@Poirot Have you tried it with anything other than pineapple chunks? I'm curious about substituting something else.

Yes, crushed pineapple, but I have friends who used fruit cocktail instead. I would think that any canned fruit that is cut into small pieces would work.

This sounds good and almost simple enough for me to want to make it. I have a stupid question: What is whipped cream topping? I've seen the kind in cans that squirt out but don't know about any that comes in cartons and is frozen. I haven't done anything with whipped cream in ages. I used to buy heavy cream and whip my own.

The one I buy and is very good is Cool Whip
I believe it is made by Kraft, and will be found in the refrigerated or frozen food section.
images

I have made this and left out the pineapple and oranges and put it in a graham cracker pie crust. Makes a nice summer dessert! Served with extra cool whip!

Okay, thanks. I feel stupid now. Of course I know about Cool Whip, although I don't know that I've ever used it. I guess I didn't realize it was frozen so I think that's what threw me. I buy the canned stuff for my sister sometimes. I still have a yearning to make some real whipped cream but probably won't. I think I could happily live on pure cream if I'd let myself.

This talk of whipped cream made me remember something from the distant past. When I was a kid some people would make whipped cream out of canned evaporated milk. I went to a very small country school, which had a tiny lunch room, barely big enough for the cooking equipment and a long table. The food was placed on the table, then the students from each of the three classrooms would come in and get their food buffet style and take it back to their rooms and eat at their desks. Anyway, the wonderful lady who cooked, and no doubt was very creative with her limited resources, made whipped cream this way. I thought it was heavenly. Just curious as to whether any of the rest of you ever had that.

Yep, actually, it was the only way I ever had whipped cream as a kid, and even young adult. LOL
Carnation condensed milk. LOL

fun comments, glad you all are liking the salad.
My sister actually makes caramel out of the sweetened condensed milk.. don't ask m how, but some how she cooks/boils?? it in the unopened can and there it is!

I used to see instructions for that, Trop, but I never tried it. I like sweetened condensed milk so much, I can just eat it right out of the can! I haven't done that in a long time but I think about it every time I pass the cans in the store.

Barb, no kidding? I didn't know making whipped cream that way was a common practice. I made it a couple of times when I was a young adult. Sounds so good, I might just make some--IF I make the quick peach cobbler I've been wanting to make. Two big "ifs" there. I have everything here I need, so I really should just do it.

Poirot... My mother always made the pineapple, Cool Whip, and nut salad, but she added rice cooked, cooled, and made a full fledged desert of it, and called it pineapple and rice, and she thought she was clever, and added the Marisceno cherries to the mixture.... We loved it...

Lilo,, this is the classic way of making, Dulce de Leche. This is a very expensive desert if you were to order it in a high class restaurant, but it is exactly the way your mom made the pudding of choice from years ago..... Enjoy... It is wonderful and delicious.

Back